PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Potatoes or Yams?

655Days
02-10-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm getting more & more confused on whether I should be eating sweet potatoes or yams in my diet. Generally speaking, I am trying to lose weight and have very few carbs in my diet. The ones I do have are the complex carbs and I mostly eat high fiber, whole wheat carbs.

Should I be worried about making the distinction between sweet potatoes and yams? From what I've gathered, nutrionally they are both great for you. However, some sites suggest that yams are more starchy. But more starchy as compared to what?

So, on a "cutting" diet, sweet potatoes or yams? Or neither? Or either? Or Both?

in10city
02-10-2010, 01:16 PM
I'm getting more & more confused on whether I should be eating sweet potatoes or yams in my diet. Generally speaking, I am trying to lose weight and have very few carbs in my diet. The ones I do have are the complex carbs and I mostly eat high fiber, whole wheat carbs.

Should I be worried about making the distinction between sweet potatoes and yams? From what I've gathered, nutrionally they are both great for you. However, some sites suggest that yams are more starchy. But more starchy as compared to what?

So, on a "cutting" diet, sweet potatoes or yams? Or neither? Or either? Or Both?
It won't matter which you pick. True yams aren't exactly commonly found at the corner grocery store either.

mbieker1
02-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Along similar lines, in what respect are sweet potatoes superior to regular potatoes?

mikeyd907
02-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Along similar lines, in what respect are sweet potatoes superior to regular potatoes?

Sweet Potatoes have twice the fiber, slows digestion and release of sugar. SP's also have mo' antioxidants.
Both russets and SP's have about the same vits and minerals.

I prefer sweet potatoes (slice about 1" thick, crush em with the flat blade of a chefs knife, sprinkle truvia and cinnamon and bake until crispy on the outside, chewy/soft on the inside), but really there's nothing too wrong with regular ol' potatoes in moderation.

in10city
02-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Superior is an exaggeration and a matter of perspective even more.

Alan says -> http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/food_myths/Sweet_Potatoes_are_Better.php

jiujitsudude
02-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Superior is an exaggeration and a matter of perspective even more.

Alan says -> http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/food_myths/Sweet_Potatoes_are_Better.php

I would rather eat sweet potatoes because of the fiber, making a good chunk of the carbs in them indigestible, although if thats not what your looking for there really isnt anything wrong with a normal baked potato (except the taste :D)

Madtitan
02-10-2010, 05:06 PM

Sweet potatoes has a lower G.I. (glycemic index) than potatoes . I can explain more but in nutshell lower GI means less of a chance for your body to store it as a fat.

Madtitan
02-10-2010, 05:08 PM

If you are trying to limit carbs..may I suggest beans? very low glycemic load

in10city
02-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Sweet potatoes has a lower G.I. (glycemic index) than potatoes . I can explain more but in nutshell lower GI means less of a chance for your body to store it as a fat.
GI is irrelevant. In for some BROscience though ;)

dpressma
02-10-2010, 05:25 PM
You could eat both. Yams and sweet potatoes are both excellent complex carb sources. This article may interest you:

http://www.simplyshredded.com/6-steps-to-a-summer-6-pack.html

Good luck with your diet.

Madtitan
02-10-2010, 05:31 PM
GI is irrelevant. In for some BROscience though ;)

actually it is

ilove2run
02-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Just to throw this out there but......yams and sweet potatos are technically the same thing.......................................correc t me if im wrong, but that is what i hear.

:eek: