PDA

View Full Version : do your macros matter as long as your getting enough protein?

Lb4pound
02-10-2010, 07:34 AM
im finding it hard to stick to my new diet with school and boxing. My question is do my macros matter as long as im getting enough protein?

justin36253
02-10-2010, 07:39 AM
Your macronutrient ratio has a pretty big effect on overall body composition due to hormonal effects based around fats/carbohydrate intake. Yes, it is very importnat to be intaking enough protein, however to optimize gains you should be optimizing your timing for your other nutrients. I.E maximizing nutrient uptake and protein synthesis by eating carbohydrate after a bout of exercise. The rest of the day, in terms of fat loss, it is generally recommended to be more low/intermediate carb intake and try and consume more low gi carbs or just plain ole fruits/veggies. IN terms of health as well, you want to get those vitamins and minerals and essential fatty acids from good foods, and not just eat crap.

LethalGunz34
02-10-2010, 07:40 AM
I never count calories bro. Life is too short to count calories. Just eat semi-clean most of the time and don't be afraid to have a bacon cheeseburger with fries every now and then.

always_sunny
02-10-2010, 07:40 AM
Your macronutrient ratio has a pretty big effect on overall body composition due to hormonal effects based around fats/carbohydrate intake. Yes, it is very importnat to be intaking enough protein, however to optimize gains you should be optimizing your timing for your other nutrients. I.E maximizing nutrient uptake and protein synthesis by eating carbohydrate after a bout of exercise. The rest of the day, in terms of fat loss, it is generally recommended to be more low/intermediate carb intake and try and consume more low gi carbs or just plain ole fruits/veggies. IN terms of health as well, you want to get those vitamins and minerals and essential fatty acids from good foods, and not just eat crap.

x2, repped.

BloodRaged
02-10-2010, 08:31 AM
I never count calories bro. Life is too short to count calories. Just eat semi-clean most of the time and don't be afraid to have a bacon cheeseburger with fries every now and then.

You make it sound as if it's hard or time consuming.

It's very easy to track things and the longer you do it the easier it becomes.

From being on a cut for about 8 weeks now, I have a crap ton of log papers.
What I tend to do is go back and look at past logs to find a meal that will fit in my needs.

Pretty much I just start the day off eating whatever I want (with protein/fat requirements in mind) and as the day gets closer to a end I tally it all up and find out what I'm lacking and throw in a referenced a meal.

It's so easy even a cave man could do it and it doesn't take me but 3-5 minutes more at my meals to track it if I did that or about 10 minutes if I do it all at once.

You can even keep the log and just rotate days based off old log sheets which makes things even easier.

Stop making excuses and take a bit more time... you get out what you put in.

(I quoted that guy and while some of my post was directed to him most of it was directed at the op)

PBateman2
02-10-2010, 08:37 AM
You want to try to eat as clean as possible. Of course, everyday you may not hit your macros in terms of daily total but try to be as consistent as you can. You want to look at the big picture and see how consistent you are overall with your caloric intake. For example, monitor your progress weekly and see if overall you are hitting your caloric requirements.

If you are preparing for a comp or a photo shoot then that is another story. Have to be basically on point with your diet everyday.

SwiftyX
02-10-2010, 08:40 AM
The bro is strong as **** in here.

AustrianOakJr
02-10-2010, 09:31 AM
You make it sound as if it's hard or time consuming.

It's very easy to track things and the longer you do it the easier it becomes.

From being on a cut for about 8 weeks now, I have a crap ton of log papers.
What I tend to do is go back and look at past logs to find a meal that will fit in my needs.

Pretty much I just start the day off eating whatever I want (with protein/fat requirements in mind) and as the day gets closer to a end I tally it all up and find out what I'm lacking and throw in a referenced a meal.

It's so easy even a cave man could do it and it doesn't take me but 3-5 minutes more at my meals to track it if I did that or about 10 minutes if I do it all at once.

You can even keep the log and just rotate days based off old log sheets which makes things even easier.

Stop making excuses and take a bit more time... you get out what you put in.

(I quoted that guy and while some of my post was directed to him most of it was directed at the op)

+1 ^^ YUP. Overall macro ratios are important. Thats why its a large part of the sport of bodybuilding.