PDA

View Full Version : When is it ok to eat white bread?

Mr.W.Fox
02-07-2010, 11:49 AM
When (if atall) is it ok to eat white bread?

I read somewhere that it is a good idea to eat white bread straight after a workout, true? or bull****?

RealMenDeadLift
02-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Any time that you want, there is nothing wrong with white bread.

hardgainer786
02-07-2010, 12:08 PM

Listen to this guy and enjoy your bread bro..

Mr.W.Fox
02-07-2010, 12:09 PM

Really? I was under the impression that we should be sticking to wholemeal?

anti-steroids
02-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Really? I was under the impression that we should be sticking to wholemeal?

at the end of the day its more about macro totals as opposed to the source of the carb/pro/lipid for the most part

ChecksandGiggles
02-07-2010, 12:19 PM

this

MaximusJuris
02-07-2010, 12:26 PM
+1 to nothin' wrong with white bread

No one has ever gotten fat simply because a sandwich was made with white bread instead of wheat bread.

RandyJH
02-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Are you getting enough fiber elsewhere in your diet? If so, don't worry about white vs. wheat.

jagxstang
02-07-2010, 12:29 PM
since when did everybody turn their backs on NUTRITION in a NUTRITION forum?

Mr.W.Fox
02-07-2010, 12:31 PM
http://ezinearticles.com/?White-Bread---The-Bodybuilders-Enemy,-Or-Best-Friend?&id=1289113

hardgainer786
02-07-2010, 12:35 PM

It is nutrition for bodybuilding, and in terms of body composition, it does not matter whether white or wholewheat. People should not have the misconception that white bread will make them fat and whole wheat won't. Many actually believe that and simply forget the father of all ~~~~ Calories!

krott5333
02-07-2010, 12:38 PM

gotta hit your macros blah blah blah

People are short-sighted. If you're going to lift weights and stay in shape, shouldn't you also strive to consume healthier, less-processed, whole foods?

The reason that white bread is "enriched" is because the processing removes all the minerals and nutrients.. and therefore they had to add some back in.. like niacin and riboflavin.. but they don't add all of the minerals that were lost.

krott5333
02-07-2010, 12:42 PM
It is nutrition for bodybuilding, and in terms of body composition, it does not matter whether white or wholewheat. People should not have the misconception that white bread will make them fat and whole wheat won't. Many actually believe that and simply forget the father of all ~~~~ Calories!

If you're saying that a simple carb like white bread is the same as a complex carb like whole wheat bread because the calories are the same, we might as well stop worrying about pre-workout and post workout meals.. because as long as you consume enough calories to hit your macros in the 24 hour period that we call a "day", then who cares, right?

jagxstang
02-07-2010, 12:43 PM

what you're talking about is simple gain/loss of body mass, not nutrition.

MaximusJuris
02-07-2010, 12:45 PM
"less-processed"... "whole food"

these are subjective elements of "health". different strokes for different folks. have you ever compared the nutrition facts on the back of a bag of whole wheat bread and white bread? The differences are negligible. We aren't talking about hershey's chocolate versus brocolli here.

in10city
02-07-2010, 12:45 PM
If you're saying that a simple carb like white bread is the same as a complex carb like whole wheat bread because the calories are the same, we might as well stop worrying about pre-workout and post workout meals.. because as long as you consume enough calories to hit your macros in the 24 hour period that we call a "day", then who cares, right?
White bread isn't a simple carb.

hardgainer786
02-07-2010, 02:06 PM

what you're talking about is simple gain/loss of body mass, not nutrition.

Yeah, I agree with you. But questions proposed in this forum are most of the time trageted towards gain/loss of body mass. I think the key is to do things in moderation and avoid FOOD avoidance. We should try white, wholegrain, wholewheat breads and pastas instead of neglecting any of them for good as they all have their own nutritional benefits for overall health. Life is good bro, enjoy the bounties..

RealMenDeadLift
02-07-2010, 02:18 PM

First off, White bread is complex

Second, Ever heard of the Warrior Diet? Lot's of people get great results from it.

krott5333
02-07-2010, 02:33 PM
"less-processed"... "whole food"

these are subjective elements of "health". different strokes for different folks. have you ever compared the nutrition facts on the back of a bag of whole wheat bread and white bread? The differences are negligible. We aren't talking about hershey's chocolate versus brocolli here.

just because all the numbers on the government-required chart are the same doesn't mean they have the same nutritional value.

RealMenDeadLift
02-07-2010, 02:43 PM
just because all the numbers on the government-required chart are the same doesn't mean they have the same nutritional value.

other than some fiber and some miniscule differences in vitamins/minerals, what?

krott5333
02-07-2010, 02:55 PM
other than some fiber and some miniscule differences in vitamins/minerals, what?

fiber, E, zinc, chromium, folic acid, magnesium

Not to mention, white bread is only made from the endosperm of the wheat berry, whereas whole wheat uses the entire thing. If the germ and bran were not important, they would not exist.

YoungEx20
02-07-2010, 02:59 PM

Not to mention, white bread is only made from the endosperm of the wheat berry, whereas whole wheat uses the entire thing. If the germ and bran were not important, they would not exist.
Yep. I agree with this person in terms of a health standpoint which is something we should all be striving for anyway. In terms of bodybuilding though the calories and macros are pretty negligible between the two as someone else has previously mentioned.

Opies
02-07-2010, 03:00 PM

if they were not important for the wheat plants survival they would not exist, and that has no carry-over whatsoever to whether they are important to nutrition or not because wheat does not exist for us to eat. White bread is just fine, and is actually better than whole wheat in certain situations such as pre/post workout or on a carbup / refeed. Plus, nothing tastes nearly as good as some toasted white bread with some land o lakes butter on it :D

x-ray vision
02-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Do you know what "other than" means?

If the germ and bran were not important, they would not exist.
Both faulty logic and incorrect. Lots of things exist that are not only not important to our health, but are completely unnecessary and/or unwanted. If that logic worked, we'd be eating the outer hull of barley kernels and banana skins. This isn't to say that germ and bran should be shunned; it's to say your logic and reasons for believing something is important could use some work.

RealMenDeadLift
02-07-2010, 03:08 PM

Like I said, a little bit of fiber and some miniscule difference in vitamins and minerals

so...the...****...what

eat the white bread if you want it as it will not make a difference in the short or long term provided you eat a balanced diet

hardgainer786
02-07-2010, 09:06 PM

For the most part, YES. But again to get a good workout we will need to eat something preworkout and something for PWO to enhance the muslce recovery. Again, white or wholewheat will still not matter in the pre or post workout. The whole GI thing is irrelevant for the most part. But having a pre/post workout meal will contribute to your body composition no MATTER what the carb SOURCE is.

Once again, in terms of body composition it does not matter whether white or wholewheat, but they might have somewhat different nutritional benefits for our health so we should consume both without avoiding any of them.

krott5333
02-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Yep. I agree with this person in terms of a health standpoint which is something we should all be striving for anyway. In terms of bodybuilding though the calories and macros are pretty negligible between the two as someone else has previously mentioned.

Yes. If your macros are your biggest concern, and it fits, then eat it. I could get all my daily carbs from twinkies, but I'd rather eat potatoes and brown rice and papaya juice.

Simmo0508
02-07-2010, 10:06 PM
When (if atall) is it ok to eat white bread?

I read somewhere that it is a good idea to eat white bread straight after a workout, true? or bull****?

Most bodybuilders don't eat much bread full stop, but white bread is much more ideal after training. Otherwise you're better off choosing wholegrain and wholemeal varieties and brands like Burgen and Lawson's etc.

Whosemikesieber
02-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Why wouldn't you eat whole wheat? Extra vitamins and fiber are always welcome in my diet....honestly how many of you people screaming eat white bread even get 20g of fiber a day? 2 sandwhiches with white bread instead of whole wheat is a loss of 8g of fiber. Small things add up, just because it might be better according to 1 study in a certain situation, doesn't mean you should tell people to eat it over one of the healthiest food choices available. This is a nutrition forum, don't respond to threads unless your going to tell people the healthiest choice, not advocate something unhealthy simply because you want to argue on the internet.

Simmo0508
02-08-2010, 02:55 AM
Why wouldn't you eat whole wheat? Extra vitamins and fiber are always welcome in my diet....honestly how many of you people screaming eat white bread even get 20g of fiber a day? 2 sandwhiches with white bread instead of whole wheat is a loss of 8g of fiber. Small things add up, just because it might be better according to 1 study in a certain situation, doesn't mean you should tell people to eat it over one of the healthiest food choices available. This is a nutrition forum, don't respond to threads unless your going to tell people the healthiest choice, not advocate something unhealthy simply because you want to argue on the internet.

lmao so true. Reps

tagun
02-08-2010, 03:01 AM

I, for one, would rather eat white bread even if wholewheat tasted better, because I get way to much fiber with my 3.5k kcal diet and I don't even plan on it. I don't know about others but I have serious gastrointestinal trouble because I'm eating more than 70 grams of fiber a day. I would not want to go into further details, hope you can picture it detailed enough on your own.

And overall people telling others that white bread is okay is saying "you don't have to be as obsessive as you've been led to believe and can enjoy foods at the same time as you can build a massive body". It's a principle. Of course wholewheat is "healthier" but if someone is telling people that wholewheat is the ONLY way and you will go blind if you touch white bread THAT is advocating something (mentally) unhealthy. Not the other way round.

Insight
02-08-2010, 03:07 AM
white bread is fine. really, how vital is the micronutrient content of the bread you eat?

if you guys really want to get on your high horse about white vs what bread, you should probably instead replace all of your whey intake with whole foods.

Skullaway
02-08-2010, 05:32 AM

this

Skullaway
02-08-2010, 05:34 AM
gotta hit your macros blah blah blah

People are short-sighted. If you're going to lift weights and stay in shape, shouldn't you also strive to consume healthier, less-processed, whole foods?

The reason that white bread is "enriched" is because the processing removes all the minerals and nutrients.. and therefore they had to add some back in.. like niacin and riboflavin.. but they don't add all of the minerals that were lost.

and this

RealMenDeadLift
02-08-2010, 07:02 AM

White bread IS NOT unhealthy, that is the whole deal here. If someone enjoys white bread there are ZERO reasons they should not eat it.

rkrajnov
02-08-2010, 07:04 AM
Why would you eat white bread? I like wheat much better.

RealMenDeadLift
02-08-2010, 07:05 AM
Why would you eat white bread? I like wheat much better.

Taste and texture and it still has dietary value believe it or not

Insight
02-08-2010, 02:24 PM
again, anyone on here obsessing over eating only wheat bread would be better to stop getting protein from micronutrient-devoid whey.