PDA

View Full Version : so freakin confused

airbornemp89
02-05-2010, 12:56 PM
so for one week i was eating 2100 calories and lost 2lbs.. which means i was in a 100 calorie deficit..making my maintenance around 3000... on the day i weighed myself i went out to golden corral and basically pigged out(major cheat) before i went to golden corral i prolly consumed around 2000 calories and at golden corral i would estimate 4000 calories..(havent cheated in like 3 months) so this past week i was eating 2600 calories a day which would still put me at a deficit according to my above experiment.. weighed myself today at the same time i did last week and im up 3lbs... i am now 131lbs at 5"10 20 years old.. would it b possible that my splurge at golden corral caused this?? im just trying to find out my maintenance and slowly bulk from there

ives
02-05-2010, 01:07 PM
so for one week i was eating 2100 calories and lost 2lbs.. which means i was in a 100 calorie deficit..making my maintenance around 3000... on the day i weighed myself i went out to golden corral and basically pigged out(major cheat) before i went to golden corral i prolly consumed around 2000 calories and at golden corral i would estimate 4000 calories..(havent cheated in like 3 months) so this past week i was eating 2600 calories a day which would still put me at a deficit according to my above experiment.. weighed myself today at the same time i did last week and im up 3lbs... i am now 131lbs at 5"10 20 years old.. would it b possible that my splurge at golden corral caused this?? im just trying to find out my maintenance and slowly bulk from there

I'm not sure you got an accurate estimate of your maintenance from your "experiment." While the general wisdom is indeed that one pound equals something like 3,500 calories, the entire metabolic process is more nuanced. There could be dozens of things that affected whether you weight went up or down during your one week of 2100 calorie "experiment." Losing 2 pounds could mean eating at a deficit, OR not rehydrating after a cardio session, OR taking a big poo OR who knows what else. Gaining those 3 pounds later could be water retention from what I assume is grease, salt, and carbs at Golden Corral.

To really understand where your maintenance is, you need to control as many variables as possible. Eat very precisely at _[whatever]____ calories for a week, keep your workouts consistent to control for cals burned in activity, weigh yourself at the same time every day (post morning pee is a good time), then throw the numbers into Excel and see where the trend is. Adjust the calories up or down 200 or 300 calories and repeat all the above for another week until you find the scale isn't really moving. Bingo, maintenance.

Trying to gauge your maintenance during a week when you've had a huge unusual dietary event (your binge at GC) is like choosing January 12, 2010 as a date for a study meant to evaluate Haiti's development and human services in the first decade of the 21st century.

airbornemp89
02-05-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm not sure you got an accurate estimate of your maintenance from your "experiment." While the general wisdom is indeed that one pound equals something like 3,500 calories, the entire metabolic process is more nuanced. There could be dozens of things that affected whether you weight went up or down during your one week of 2100 calorie "experiment." Losing 2 pounds could mean eating at a deficit, OR not rehydrating after a cardio session, OR taking a big poo OR who knows what else. Gaining those 3 pounds later could be water retention from what I assume is grease, salt, and carbs at Golden Corral.

To really understand where your maintenance is, you need to control as many variables as possible. Eat very precisely at _[whatever]____ calories for a week, keep your workouts consistent to control for cals burned in activity, weigh yourself at the same time every day (post morning pee is a good time), then throw the numbers into Excel and see where the trend is. Adjust the calories up or down 200 or 300 calories and repeat all the above for another week until you find the scale isn't really moving. Bingo, maintenance.

Trying to gauge your maintenance during a week when you've had a huge unusual dietary event (your binge at GC) is like choosing January 12, 2010 as a date for a study meant to evaluate Haiti's development and human services in the first decade of the 21st century. see.. my prob is i have no clue how many calories i burn when working out... when i lift im at the gym for about 90-110 min lifting hard.. even after my protein shake i am starving... when i do cardio i run anywhere between 3.5-4.5 miles in the space of 35 min..

airbornemp89
02-05-2010, 04:18 PM
bump.. i need more opinions

Mr-Paradox
02-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Water Weight

airbornemp89
02-05-2010, 06:00 PM
so what should i do?? should i stay at 2500-2600 calories and see what happens??? i really dont wanna gain another 3 lbs in just one week

airbornemp89
02-05-2010, 06:02 PM
my carb intake has been around 350g protein around 200 and fats about 45 or so

C0bra
02-05-2010, 06:32 PM
could have been water weight.....buffet food is known for its high sodium content....high sodium leads to water retention and gains in water weight.....whenever i have acheat meal of fast food i always get some water weight...few days in the gym and its gone

LveNLrn
02-05-2010, 06:35 PM
As it's been pointed out, WATER WEIGHT. You've not gained 3 lbs, just continue eating like you were. ;)

airbornemp89
02-05-2010, 07:16 PM
As it's been pointed out, WATER WEIGHT. You've not gained 3 lbs, just continue eating like you were. ;)

it cant be water weight.... this was one week ago

Holyspokes
02-05-2010, 07:53 PM
UP TO 131 LBS?!?!?1 ohhhh noooo!!!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e112/dana51581/kool-aid.jpg

airbornemp89
02-06-2010, 11:33 AM
UP TO 131 LBS?!?!?1 ohhhh noooo!!!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e112/dana51581/kool-aid.jpg

well IMO id rather be skinny then fat