PDA

View Full Version : explain to me why calories are needed

LetsLift
02-04-2010, 01:51 AM
Believe it or not, but i can't find an answer to this simple question, why are calories needed to gain muscle/size? Everything and everyone just says you need to eat more/loads for this but arn't calories just made up from protein, carbs, fats etc? If thats the case then why can't i just watch my protein/carb/fat intake by the gram instead of working out calories?

im 100% sure my question is tarded but im serious please explain and don't just say "to get bigger"

bigaznjeff
02-04-2010, 02:09 AM
Eventually your macros will add up to a total calorie intake? Not sure what you're asking. But I usually only watch my protein intake closely, and otherwise I fill in my calorie intake for the day with anything else. You want to watch your calories so you don't lose/gain weight too fast.

dat
02-04-2010, 02:56 AM
Excess energy supplied to the body, which is not used is "stored for later". Energy can be stored as fat deposits (literally an energy store for when it's needed), or used to repair muscle stressed/damaged by strenuous exercise. This is why you put on mass when you eat "above maintenance".

If you do not provide enough energy to your body, either body fat or muscle will be used for energy. i.e. losing mass.