PDA

View Full Version : How long after lift can I leave before taking protein?

Dominikm
02-01-2010, 04:31 PM
How important is it to get in your protein shake just after lifting? I want be able to go home and mix it up with milk, frozen berries, yoghurt ect?

I?m cutting right now so ultimately I want to get a deficit going and even if I were bulking I aint a pro or going for a comp or something?

As long as the protein is in you with about 45 mins of finishing lifting is it all good?

Attaus
02-01-2010, 04:39 PM
As far as I know you always want a good mix of proteins/carbs immediately after lifting regardless of bulking or cutting, the only difference being the amount. If you're concerned about it after you're done liftng go for a swim or a run and then have your shake. Keeping your metabolism going after a workout (eating small frequently) is more important than having a lapse of "empty burning" after you're done lifting. Starving yourself after a workout for fat burning will simply hinder gains (and losses for that matter).

in10city
02-01-2010, 04:51 PM
How important is it to get in your protein shake just after lifting? I want be able to go home and mix it up with milk, frozen berries, yoghurt ect?

I?m cutting right now so ultimately I want to get a deficit going and even if I were bulking I aint a pro or going for a comp or something?

As long as the protein is in you with about 45 mins of finishing lifting is it all good?
Assuming you've had a good pre workout meal, you are fine regardless of the goal.

Skullaway
02-01-2010, 04:52 PM
It is called the "golden hour".

1 hour is the answer

snorkelman
02-02-2010, 01:33 AM
in10city gave you good advice...ignore the other broscience opinions.

If you properly design your pre-workout nutrition (let's say by using a full-sized mixed food meal) then you will cause a rise in your amino levels, blood glucose, and insulin for hours, which should take you through your training and even into your post-training time. So, yeah, waiting 45 minutes is just fine to make your shake.

Now you can smile because you don't need to bring a blender to the gym :)

AnimalNitro
02-02-2010, 04:04 AM
So, yeah, waiting 45 minutes is just fine to make your shake.

This

Skullaway
02-02-2010, 05:00 AM
in10city gave you good advice...ignore the other broscience opinions.

If you properly design your pre-workout nutrition (let's say by using a full-sized mixed food meal) then you will cause a rise in your amino levels, blood glucose, and insulin for hours, which should take you through your training and even into your post-training time. So, yeah, waiting 45 minutes is just fine to make your shake.

Now you can smile because you don't need to bring a blender to the gym :)

What if your last meal was 6 hours before you train? How long after training would it be optimal to eat then?

IIcovski
02-02-2010, 05:15 AM
I think your good for an hour, I take a protein shake with me and after my workout I take it right away and then go home and eat again.

snorkelman
02-02-2010, 05:26 AM
What if your last meal was 6 hours before you train? How long after training would it be optimal to eat then?

Now you are completely changing the parameters of OP's question. It is not optimal to go into intense exercise (such as HIIT or weight training) in a 6-hour fasted state. Everyone likes to focus on just the post workout nutrition to the exclusion of the pre workout nutrition. You can't do that. It all is relevant. What you have before the workout will impact the workout and also impact the post workout needs. so, if you are foolish enough to workout in a 6 hour fasted state, then yes, you would want to have post workout nutrition as soon as possible after your workout.

Skullaway
02-02-2010, 05:33 AM
Now you are completely changing the parameters of OP's question. It is not optimal to go into intense exercise (such as HIIT or weight training) in a 6-hour fasted state. Everyone likes to focus on just the post workout nutrition to the exclusion of the pre workout nutrition. You can't do that. It all is relevant. What you have before the workout will impact the workout and also impact the post workout needs. so, if you are foolish enough to workout in a 6 hour fasted state, then yes, you would want to have post workout nutrition as soon as possible after your workout.

OP never asked about pre. Only post. So based on the info OP gave the answer is 1 hour , right?