PDA

View Full Version : Milk- Just trying to get the FACTS straight

djmikeaaron
01-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Hey guys. So what's the deal with milk? I keep hearing conflicting info on whether it has crap in it or not. I live in the US, and apparently US allows SCC levels to be at 750,000, which is the highest in the world. Canada and Europe only allow 400,000-500,000 in their respective countries. Also that the milk is stripped of tons of it's healthy nutrients. Not to mention the levels of anti-biotics and growth hormone. I live in the US. What are the facts about milk??

I drink milk twice a day every day with my shakes. I tear through gallons of milk and I'm concerned that if I keep doing this my whole life and their is something wrong with the milk, I might be in for trouble later down the road.

Thanks for you help in advance

btw SCC stands for Somatic Cell Count a.k.a puss

Don't flame. I'm just trying to wrap my head around this.

gjohnson5
01-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Hey guys. So what's the deal with milk? I keep hearing conflicting info on whether it has crap in it or not. I live in the US, and apparently US allows SCC levels to be at 750,000, which is the highest in the world. Canada and Europe only allow 400,000-500,000 in their respective countries. Also that the milk is stripped of tons of it's healthy nutrients. Not to mention the levels of anti-biotics and growth hormone. I live in the US. What are the facts about milk??

I drink milk twice a day every day with my shakes. I tear through gallons of milk and I'm concerned that if I keep doing this my whole life and their is something wrong with the milk, I might be in for trouble later down the road.

Thanks for you help in advance

Don't flame. I'm just trying to wrap my head around this.

isn't this why many advocate pasteurization. It's to kill the pathogens in the milk.
If you're really concerned about this , you might wanna find a local farmer who has good sanitary equipment and only buy milk from him

kanderson17
01-30-2010, 03:22 PM
buy organic milk. Free of hormones and anti-biotics. The only thing that worries me about milk is whether or not the cow may have myobacterium paratuberculosis which causes crohns disease. Almond milk is a great replacement

x-ray vision
01-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Hey guys. So what's the deal with milk? I keep hearing conflicting info on whether it has crap in it or not.
There are plenty of milk alarmists that have a vegan agenda and you're going to hear all kinds of nonsense.

I live in the US, and apparently US allows SCC levels to be at 750,000, which is the highest in the world. Canada and Europe only allow 400,000-500,000 in their respective countries.
Numbers mean nothing uless we know what they mean.

Also that the milk is stripped of tons of it's healthy nutrients.
Nonsense.

Not to mention the levels of anti-biotics and growth hormone. I live in the US. What are the facts about milk??
It depends who you trust. My ordinary supermarket milk says "no hormones" added and "no antibiotics".

It's not pus. This is one of the lies told by the milk alarmists. Even human mother's milk contains somatic cells.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somatic_cell_count

x-ray vision
01-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Almond milk is a great replacement
Not even close.

Mr-Paradox
01-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Milk is for growing mammals. You are a growing mammal. Drink your milk and do your squats :)

SDC77
01-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Stay away from conspiracy theory sites. If you see a headline like "The REAL Story About..." you can go ahead and assume it's BS.

djmikeaaron
01-30-2010, 04:08 PM
Milk is for growing mammals. You are a growing mammal. Drink your milk and do your squats :)

I already do. But it helps to be informed and know what I'm putting into my body.

x-ray vision
01-30-2010, 04:11 PM
I already do. But it helps to be informed and know what I'm putting into my body.
That's Scott~'s point. You aren't going to get there by getting information from alarmist websites that usually have an agenda.

djmikeaaron
01-30-2010, 04:12 PM
isn't this why many advocate pasteurization. It's to kill the pathogens in the milk.
If you're really concerned about this , you might wanna find a local farmer who has good sanitary equipment and only buy milk from him

Yea. What I'm most concerned with is how they treat the cows. a.k.a whether they have abscesses or not and whether or not that is going into my milk

djmikeaaron
01-30-2010, 04:13 PM
That's Scott~'s point. You aren't going to get there by getting information from alarmist websites that usually have an agenda.

Yea, I know. That's why I come here to gain another perspective and more information. There's so much conflicting info out there. It's hard to weed out the BS.

Thanks for the replies

ps. so far my plan of action is to start getting organic milk from a farmer's market. I'm researching on whether that is actually any better though.