PDA

View Full Version : critque my workout

hayate88
01-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Been doing this for about a week, any advice to improve my diet for fat loss and lean muscle mass would be greatly appreciated

My Goal - Is to remove excess fat throughout the body, lower bf %. However, maintain or increase muscle mass.

Current weight - 195lbs
Current Height - 5'11
Was Sedentary but now more active.

Diet
3x Eggs
2x Veggie salad (lettuce, onions, mushrooms) No dressing
1 Chicken Breast
1/4 cup of almonds
1 Apple
1 Banana
---------------------
Calories < 1000 (more like 900)
Protein < 54g (wondering if i should supplement more protein or eat more chicken, lol)

Exercise
Monday - Cardio (1hour)
Tuesday - Cardio (1hour)
Wednesday - Chest (35-45mins)
Thursday - Back (35-45mins)
Friday - Legs (35-45mins)
Saturday - Arms (35-45mins)
Sunday - Abs (35-45mins)

Everytime I do weights, Wed-Sunday, I do eliptical for 35 mins before doing weights

Health - I do have asthma, however it doesn't seem like its very severe. But what worries me is that my heart rate can increase to 180+ very very quickly.... Is hitting 200+ bad or risky???

ZidaneValor
01-22-2010, 09:47 AM
1) With that level of activity, you should probably double the amount of food you are eating to 1800 or so. Use that as a starting point and make adjustments from there. Don't start off a training regime by starving yourself.

2) If you are going to consume low calories, get rid of the nuts, and eat more food that would actually fill you up. Replace the nuts with chicken to get the protein you are lacking.

3) Too much cardio. Drop the cardio on days you lift weights.

4) Hitting 200 bpm isn't bad I would think. I would look for warning signs such as dizziness or pain though.

Teflon_Don
01-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Been doing this for about a week, any advice to improve my diet for fat loss and lean muscle mass would be greatly appreciated

My Goal - Is to remove excess fat throughout the body, lower bf %. However, maintain or increase muscle mass.

Current weight - 195lbs
Current Height - 5'11

Diet
3x Eggs
1 Chicken Breast
1/4 cup of almonds
1 Apple
1 Banana
---------------------
Protein < 54g (wondering if i should supplement more protein or eat more chicken, lol)

Exercise
Monday - Cardio (1hour)
Tuesday - Cardio (1hour)
Sunday - Abs (35-45mins)

Everytime I do weights, Wed-Sunday, I do eliptical for 35 mins before doing weights

Health - I do have asthma, however it doesn't seem like its very severe. But what worries me is that my heart rate can increase to 180+ very very quickly.... Is hitting 200+ bad or risky???

Eat more.

Drop that bodypart split and start doing something sensible like 2x/wk total body or a 4x/wk upper/lower split.

.international
01-22-2010, 10:46 AM

I would recommend saving the eliptical for after you do weights. Do like a 5 minute warmup to get your blood moving so that you can expend most of your energy on your weight training. Also, you should do abs on one of your cardio days as well.

As far as your heart rate, my brothers heart rate jumps to 180 sometimes. It trips me out because hes like 30. That's humming bird speed. The best way to gauge it though is by how you feel. Also, the heart rate handle grips on exercise machines can be waaaaay off. Keep that in mind.

hayate88
01-22-2010, 03:56 PM
1. So it looks like im cutting my self sort on food, so either eat more chicken or up the food intake

2. Cardio choice - I'm currently doing the cardio runs decently, its not killing me in my efforts/energy levels for lifting. The reason I'm adding cardio daily is for adding more calorie deficiency and burning off fat (since i have a ton around legs and stomach). However, I do understand a certain amount of prolonged cardio can lead to muscle break down. So I limit myself about 35mins each weight day.

Am I still doing too much cardio? If i want fast results, isn't this the way to go?

+ I read bodypart training is a bit more efficient rather than x/wk total body or a 4x/wk upper/lower split. Because of the rest periods as long as you lift hard,heavy. Any confirmation on this would be great :D

Thanks for the input!!!

Teflon_Don
01-22-2010, 04:48 PM
1. So it looks like im cutting my self sort on food, so either eat more chicken or up the food intake

2. Cardio choice - I'm currently doing the cardio runs decently, its not killing me in my efforts/energy levels for lifting. The reason I'm adding cardio daily is for adding more calorie deficiency and burning off fat (since i have a ton around legs and stomach). However, I do understand a certain amount of prolonged cardio can lead to muscle break down. So I limit myself about 35mins each weight day.

Am I still doing too much cardio? If i want fast results, isn't this the way to go?

+ I read bodypart training is a bit more efficient rather than x/wk total body or a 4x/wk upper/lower split. Because of the rest periods as long as you lift hard,heavy. Any confirmation on this would be great :D

Thanks for the input!!!

The bodypart split that you have outlined is unproductive with respect to your goals. It depends on your training age as to whether or not a full body 2-3x/wk is better or a 4x/wk upper/lower or push-pull. If you've been training consistently for less than 6months to a year, the total body 2-3x/wk is better. If more than that, you should be doing a 4x/wk split wherein each muscle group gets trained 2x/wk.

hayate88
01-22-2010, 08:04 PM
As for the cardio? or better Body fat loss? Am i on the right track?

56kninja
01-22-2010, 08:19 PM

Current weight - 195lbs
Current Height - 5'11

Diet
3x Eggs
1 Chicken Breast
1/4 cup of almonds
1 Apple
1 Banana
---------------------

Exercise
Monday - Cardio (1hour)
Tuesday - Cardio (1hour)
Sunday - Abs (35-45mins)

triple your calories.

and define cardio. Seriously people say "cardio" all the time. and theres a big difference between jogging for an hour, and walking for an hour.

hayate88
01-22-2010, 10:07 PM
triple your calories.

and define cardio. Seriously people say "cardio" all the time. and theres a big difference between jogging for an hour, and walking for an hour.

Sorry, i know what you mean about "cardio". My gym constant has its treadmills in use (probably cause its pouring here in southern california....) so Eliptical is pretty much the least used machine. *all treadmills and bikes are already taken... =/* On the eliptical i push myself all the time, ill take a quick 30 sec break to catch my breath if i really push but im steady goer.

Wouldn't trippling my calories, slow down my fat burning process? My goal is still losing body fat as a priority, but my 2nd goal is maintaining or building muscle. As long as i get adequate nutrients and protein (100g protein at least?) I should be okay with this large deficit of calories for fat loss, no? Also, by doing these short 35min eliptical runs won't make my body go into a catabolic state would it? I highly doubt it, but a friend of mine just told me about it.

As for calories, i'm willing to add another 500 calories and take in another chicken breast for that bonus protein! However, many have stated that my caloric values are way too low and i end up making my body go into starvation mode =/... that's not what i want lol. I just wanted a high deficit, so I can quickly burn this stubborn fat off my legs/thighs and waist! (bottom heavy =/) But i understand that the human body may not work that way if you force such a high deficit.

Last but not least!

"full body 2-3x/wk is better or a 4x/wk upper/lower or push-pull"
If my individual body part workout isn't meant for my ideal goals, can someone guide me or point me to the right direction regarding this type of workout or program? I'd be greatly appreciated!

+++ I also want to go as natural as possible but I had my first protein bar today... damn.. that **** is GOOD! :D Any recommendations on what brand or what to look for in supplements???

Thanks again everyone!

hayate88
01-23-2010, 05:25 PM
gentle Bump!

kbrown46
01-23-2010, 05:40 PM
gentle Bump!

Check out some of the training articles on bb.com. One thing I have learned is that doing your "cardio" at a more moderate pace for a longer period is more effective for burning fat. They say you should aim for about 65% of your max heart rate, which is around 130 for me. I usually stay around 135-145bpm. 200bpm is ridiculous. You cannot maintain that for any long period. I have never seen mine above 180bpm. You will notice your heart rate drop as you get in better cardiovascular shape.

Anyway, like I was saying about doing your cardio longer at a lower intesity....studies have shown it causes your body to use fat as fuel, whereas high intensity cardio tends to burn glucose or some kind of sugars. I do not know the exact science behind it but I know pro BB's walk on the treadmill for like 2 hrs a day for contest prep.

Also, your calories are too low. I have read that to drastic a change in calories will likely lead to a rebound.

hope that helps

Hope that helps.

Teflon_Don
01-23-2010, 05:41 PM
gentle Bump!

Re: program resources

Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe

Google "lyle mcdonald." He has a 4 part series about beginner training programs on his website bodyrecomposition dot com. Part 4 actually lays out three programs in detail.