PDA

View Full Version : Exercising Question. Need some help with this.

StevenMunn
01-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Going to try cutting again. I failed last time cuz I cheated badly. Anyways, Im going to walk around my neighborhood which is close to a mile. How many miles should I aim for if I want to effectively be burning fat walking?

chaser1712
01-17-2010, 09:41 PM
You wont burn any if your food intake isin't right

xplosiv3
01-17-2010, 09:45 PM
What's your current diet ? and why not run the mile or jog it , way more intense

StevenMunn
01-17-2010, 09:52 PM
My diet is good. I know what I need to eat and what I shouldnt eat.

I just want my question answered as to how many miles should I walk to burn fat? I know its not the same as running but how many miles should I walk to burn some fat?

luv2pump
01-17-2010, 09:59 PM
Why won't people run? You're young- how big are you?

StevenMunn
01-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Im 6'1 220 pounds. Im about 40 pounds overweight. Problem is I get way too tired out close to halfway through.

Cronoh
01-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Im 6'1 220 pounds. Im about 40 pounds overweight. Problem is I get way too tired out close to halfway through.

Well, at my weight I like to gauge it by intensity. Maybe you cannot jog a mile yet, but it is good to keep the intensity up. Jog until you are tired, then walk and recover. When you have recovered enough, start jogging again. I do this to keep the intensity up and not cutting your workout short just because you get too tired. Worst case you can just walk, but keeping your heart rate up is much better for you than simply walking.

pedr0
01-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Run till you're tired,walk till you can run again.....repeat

Was 1 minute late!

thiussat
01-17-2010, 10:53 PM
You can expect to burn about 100 calories per mile of walking. If you run, you can expect to burn 130 or so. So unless you are eating below maintenance, a 100 calorie per day deficit will result in SLOW progress. But your NET calories burned will be even lower than this.

I came across a very good article that talks about the science behind calculating how many calories are burned in walking and running. It quotes several studies on the matter.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html

56kninja
01-17-2010, 11:25 PM

Dude. That's why you jog, so you can condition yourself.

When I started I could only run 1/8th of a mile (not even that really) before I got tired, my legs started to burn, ect. So I just slowly built up. Push through the pain. Don't stop until it feels like you can barely move your legs.

StevenMunn
01-18-2010, 10:01 AM
Ok. How many miles should I jog/walk to burn fat as fast as healthy possible?

gbone74
01-18-2010, 10:09 AM
there is no set distance if you are in a deficit already with your diet the more you walk the bigger the deficit gets and you lose weight quicker.

you dont need to walk at all to lose weight I did no cardio at all,but a good 3 mile brisk walk/jog(40 mins or so) is good exercise a few times a week,but dont overeat due to the extra cardio its easy to do a lot of cardio get hungry then eat the burnt calories back.

A lot of people do a lot of cardio so they can diet on more calories,I prefer lower calories and less cardio

StevenMunn
01-18-2010, 10:19 AM
there is no set distance if you are in a deficit already with your diet the more you walk the bigger the deficit gets and you lose weight quicker.

you dont need to walk at all to lose weight I did no cardio at all,but a good 3 mile brisk walk/jog(40 mins or so) is good exercise a few times a week,but dont overeat due to the extra cardio its easy to do a lot of cardio get hungry then eat the burnt calories back.

A lot of people do a lot of cardio so they can diet on more calories,I prefer lower calories and less cardio

Well I go to community college 2 times a week so I cant do it on those days.

Btw, I drink 2% Milk and I drink 2 glasses of that. The lactose (Milk Sugar) concerns me. Although I guess if im exercising and in a deficit its ok?

csb5731
01-18-2010, 10:52 AM
... I drink 2% Milk and I drink 2 glasses of that. The lactose (Milk Sugar) concerns me. Although I guess if im exercising and in a deficit its ok?

Unless you are lactose intolerant, or are for some reason trying to stay in a ketogenic state, the milk sugar won't impact you one bit.

But a previous posters have said, it could take a lot of running to make up for a diet that is way to high in total kcals/day. It's not as simple as knowing what you should/should not eat, but how much of what and what not you should be eating. Do you have an accurate idea of how many calories you are consuming per day? How much cardio you should be doing (if any, but I personally like to incorporate some for many reasons) in order to expect fat loss will depend upon that.

zaidxela
01-18-2010, 10:55 AM
ok, i know you said you know what to/not to eat... but do you know How much to eat? because the #1 factor is that... the what to/not to eat can still lead you to failure :)

gbone74
01-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Well I go to community college 2 times a week so I cant do it on those days.

Btw, I drink 2% Milk and I drink 2 glasses of that. The lactose (Milk Sugar) concerns me. Although I guess if im exercising and in a deficit its ok?

this is one of the few things that gets me with weight loss in general,unless you are preparing for the mr olympia or something,I would like to know what kind of normal folk worry about lactose in 2 glasses of 2% milk.

This forum is full of lots of good advice it helped me lose a lot of weight but there are too many people nowhere near the level where they need the extra bits worrying about too much minutia.

StevenMunn
01-18-2010, 11:23 AM
ok, i know you said you know what to/not to eat... but do you know How much to eat? because the #1 factor is that... the what to/not to eat can still lead you to failure :)

Even with the Milk, Im eating around 1700 calories which is within the 500 calorie deficit. The jogging/running should be fine?

I should be losing fat in no time with this?

gbone74
01-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Even with the Milk, Im eating around 1700 calories which is within the 500 calorie deficit. The jogging/running should be fine?

yes,you could probably up your cals a bit as well,not too much but cut too much too soon,unless you are happy at 1700

zaidxela
01-18-2010, 11:55 AM

oh icic, so you do know what your intake is.. then yea as long as your in a deficit you should be :), and yes regardless whether its 2% or 0...

luv2pump
01-18-2010, 04:22 PM
I think 1700 is excellent if u can stick with it. With regards to running, a very slow jog is better than not trying at all. Do it at military warm-up pace, if u know what that is.

StevenMunn
01-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Im thinking of just jogging as far as I can and walking briskly the rest. I will do that every day until Im jogging the whole way around the neighborhood.

I can only do this Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Would that be enough to lose weight/fat or should I up it to Saturdays and Sundays too?

I want to lose this fat so damn bad and I want to do it right.

luv2pump
01-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Im thinking of just jogging as far as I can and walking briskly the rest. I will do that every day until Im jogging the whole way around the neighborhood.

I can only do this Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Would that be enough to lose weight/fat or should I up it to Saturdays and Sundays too?

I want to lose this fat so damn bad and I want to do it right.

You're a beginner so 3 days will be fine to start. Got to get used to it first.