PDA

View Full Version : Post workout Insulin spike????

dave_k88
01-16-2010, 04:45 AM
I have read a few articles on the bodybuilding.com supersite regarding this, but i have no idea on how credible the information is. ie broscience or not

So i just wanted to know that after a workout is it better to consume simple carbs with protein, or can you just skip the carbs altogether and just consume protein.

Also wanted to know if this applies to both bulking and cutting.

Cheers!!!

in10city
01-16-2010, 04:52 AM
I have read a few articles on the bodybuilding.com supersite regarding this, but i have no idea on how credible the information is. ie broscience or not

So i just wanted to know that after a workout is it better to consume simple carbs with protein, or can you just skip the carbs altogether and just consume protein.

Also wanted to know if this applies to both bulking and cutting.

Cheers!!!
You don't need an insulin spike as would be illicted from simple carbs. A good pre workout meal and some post workout protein would have insulin elevated enough in most instances to exert its anti-catabolic and permissive effects on protein synthesis. You can have carbs - be it simple or complex - if you have the room in your diet for them. Post workout there is some favorable substrate partioning towards muscle.

ewolf2
01-16-2010, 07:20 AM
I just like to get waxy maize and just mix it with my protein shake after I workout. It's easy and it doesn't cost to much to get.

snorkelman
01-16-2010, 07:41 AM
If you are exercising in a fed state (had some type of pre-workout nutrition) then there is no reason to go out of your way to seek simple carbs as a carb source post workout. Any carb source will do, along with any protein source.

dave_k88
01-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the replies,

but is it ok to only consume protein afterwards, ie no simple or complex carbs at all after a workout.

I just read this article about not needing and carbs after workout.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ditch_post_workout_carbs.htm