PDA

View Full Version : Need to cut 12 more pounds of fat... How fast is this achievable?

lulswut
01-15-2010, 08:10 AM
So I cut 14 pounds of fat between the start of october and christmas. I took a break from the cut during the holidays and put 3-4 pounds of fat back on. Hurray... Anyways, I think I need to lose 12-14 pounds (6kg) more fat before I'm at 10-12% bodyfat and can begin a clean bulk.

The problem is that I'm struggling with the motivation... Cutting sucks. I'm getting sick of training knowing that I'm not making progress, I'm just "maintaining as much as possible". Doing this for months really puts a dampener on my mood... I just want to shed these damn pounds so I can begin to build muscle again.

So basically, how fast can I cut 12 pounds of pure fat realistically? Any tips on what I should do to speed up the process?

This is what I'm doing now:
Strength training 3 times a week (full body, core exercises).
Eating about 1900 cals on non training days, 2200 on training days... High protein.
NO carbs after 20:00

Any tips?

th3pwn3r
01-15-2010, 08:18 AM
So I cut 14 pounds of fat between the start of october and christmas. I took a break from the cut during the holidays and put 3-4 pounds of fat back on. Hurray... Anyways, I think I need to lose 12-14 pounds (6kg) more fat before I'm at 10-12% bodyfat and can begin a clean bulk.

The problem is that I'm struggling with the motivation... Cutting sucks. I'm getting sick of training knowing that I'm not making progress, I'm just "maintaining as much as possible". Doing this for months really puts a dampener on my mood... I just want to shed these damn pounds so I can begin to build muscle again.

So basically, how fast can I cut 12 pounds of pure fat realistically? Any tips on what I should do to speed up the process?

Eating about 1900 cals on non training days, 2200 on training days... High protein.

Any tips?

I'd say 3-4 weeks to cut 12 pounds of fat but that requires going to extremes. Do a bit of research before ATTEMPTING something like that.

AlexMR
01-15-2010, 08:25 AM
This article is the best answer to what you asked. I followed that when i lost 70 pounds of fat back in 2007-2008, and didnt lose any muscle until the very end, when i lost 2 pounds of LBM, based on 3points caliper measures.

http://www.mindandmuscle.net/articles/lyle_mcdonald/maximum_fatloss

lulswut
01-15-2010, 08:39 AM
This article is the best answer to what you asked. I followed that when i lost 70 pounds of fat back in 2007-2008, and didnt lose any muscle until the very end, when i lost 2 pounds of LBM, based on 3points caliper measures.

http://www.mindandmuscle.net/articles/lyle_mcdonald/maximum_fatloss

Interesting read, and ironically pretty close to what I'm doing right now. I'm eating about 1900 calories a day, which apparently is really close to what I should be doing if I were to follow that article...

So basically, just keep eating what I'm eating while busting my ass with the weights... God damn I can't wait to be done with this. The idea of maintaining as much as possible over several months instead of building makes the training sessions less fun than they are during a bulk. I'll never do a dirty bulk again... Lean mass gain for the win...

AlexMR
01-15-2010, 10:38 AM
I'm telling you, I dont know how it works when you are close to one digit BF%, but for for me, it worked perfectly.

Good luck.

gmaki
01-15-2010, 10:45 AM

Any tips?

The mathematical answer to this is plainly simple and you have already been provided with that. But I would look at it from a different perspective in your situation.

Interestingly, I dropped nearly the exact same amount of fat as you did in almost the exact same time frame. I continued to lose through the holidays though, which was really tough to do.

Since you have already stopped your cut, and are eating somewhere around or just over maintenance at this point I would suggest to continue that for a few more weeks, or months until you bring all systems back up to normal, and most importantly get yourself prepared for the next cut.

I ended my cut on Jan 1, because I had planned to. All things being equal I could have (and perhaps should have) continued cutting down to 145 or maybe 140. But frankly I think I am going to be better off psychologically (and socially) taking a break, focusing purely on building muscle for a few months, NOT putting on a bunch of extra fat... and then tackling those last 10 - 15 lbs when I am good and ready to jump into a cut again.

lulswut
01-15-2010, 11:57 AM
The mathematical answer to this is plainly simple and you have already been provided with that. But I would look at it from a different perspective in your situation.

Interestingly, I dropped nearly the exact same amount of fat as you did in almost the exact same time frame. I continued to lose through the holidays though, which was really tough to do.

Since you have already stopped your cut, and are eating somewhere around or just over maintenance at this point I would suggest to continue that for a few more weeks, or months until you bring all systems back up to normal, and most importantly get yourself prepared for the next cut.

I ended my cut on Jan 1, because I had planned to. All things being equal I could have (and perhaps should have) continued cutting down to 145 or maybe 140. But frankly I think I am going to be better off psychologically (and socially) taking a break, focusing purely on building muscle for a few months, NOT putting on a bunch of extra fat... and then tackling those last 10 - 15 lbs when I am good and ready to jump into a cut again.

Good post. That is a good idea. I could do a lean bulk from where I'm at right now for 4 months, and (if done correctly) end up at roughly the same fat% that I am now at the end of it, just with more muscle, and then shed the 12 pounds after I'm done with it.

I'll need to think about this... On one hand I'm really tempted to just get the last 12-14 pounds off now, and start a lean mass-gain cycle in april. Your idea is definitely a good one, though, and especially when it comes to motivation. Hmm...

Edit:

I could, judging by my motivation on the cut at the moment, probably keep it up for 1 more month. I would be pretty close to "lean" then. From there I could add lean mass until June, and shed the last pounds from the start of june to the middle of July. Sounds like a plan to me.