PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Gaining Weight

stiffdogg06
01-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Hey all,

First off, I'd like to welcome myself to this wonderful board which I found a while back but just recently joined.

My name is Andy Lastivka and I am currently working as a Technician at a Biological Warfare Facility here in Ohio. I am 21 years old and attend The Ohio State University for Business Administration in Finance.

All throughout my life I've been skinny and recently in the past 1-2 yrs I got tired of the look of skin and bones. So I've been researching to really bulk up but still be very lean(Tony Horton) comes to mind. I am currently 124lbs, 5'6". My main goal for working out is to gain some mass/strength but still be very lean and be comfortable with taking my shirt off. Yes, skinny people can be paranoid with taking their shirts off. :) I want to stay completely natural other than using protein, Nitric Oxide, and other pre/post workout supplements from Optimum and Controlled Labs. My goal is maybe to gain 20-25lbs.

Well I am sorry for such a long introduction to my question. :) I am posting this thread to get some input on my daily diet and if there are things I should or change. Please take it on this nutritional noob.

Breakfast:

Oatmeal 1/2
Fruit (Apple or Pear)
Glass of Low-Fat Milk
Small Whey Protein Shake
Multi-Vitamin

Snack:

Whey Protein Shake
Handful of Nuts / 2 Scoops of Natural Peanut Butter

Lunch:

Chicken or H20 Tuna Topped with EVOO, & Low Fat Cheese/Parmesan
Brown Rice/ Pasta
Vegetables (Corn, Green Beans, Mushrooms, Broccoli)
Fruit (Grapes)

Snack:

Whey Protein Shake
Cottage Cheese

Dinner:

Chicken or H20 Tuna topped with EVOO, & Low Fat Cheese/Parmesan
Pasta/Brown Rice
Vegetables (Corn, Green Beans, Mushrooms, Broccoli)
Fruit (Strawberries)
Multi-Vitamin
Omega 3 Capsules

*MY WORKOUT WOULD BE AN HOUR AFTER DINNER*

Snack Before Bed:

Casein Protein Shake
Cottage Cheese/Hard Boiled Eggs
Banana

I haven't figured out how many calories that is, but I did the math and I need around ~3000 to get to my weight.

So please comment on my diet plan as much or as little as it may need. I really appreciate all your guys' help and I hope to be around and learn a lot more things from here. :)

- Andy

Joe Go
01-14-2010, 07:26 PM
I'm guessing you are eating about 2000 calories currently. You have a decent balance of food. Add an additional 1000 calories of food (no supplements) and you'll be on your way.

stiffdogg06
01-15-2010, 12:04 PM
anyone else?

akamm
01-15-2010, 12:14 PM
anyone else?

Hey! I am also a finance major (here @ Mizzou). I too was once very very skinny. If you look at my progress pics you will see i stayed decently lean all throughout my progress. I attribute a lot of this to be young and going through growth spurts.

As far as your diet looks, it looks solid. I agree w/ the above that you may want to add some more cals. Start learning about macros for every nutrient.

To gain muscle, I would advise 1.5g protein per pound of bdwt
2.5-3g carbs/lb
.4-.7g fat/lb

For you, just take your weight of 124 x each number above and these will be your macro goals for the day. You can fine tune these numbers to your liking and see what works for you. Also, drink lots of water. 1 gallon would be good for you.

Discipline and Consistency will get you where you want to go. There really are no shortcuts.
Best of luck!

Austin