PDA

View Full Version : higher or lower reps while cutting?

thebeastinside
01-13-2010, 12:16 PM
I'm coming of my winter bulk and I want to preserve as much mussel/strength as I can, after all thats why I bulked. I understand the basics
1. about 500 cals under maintenance, nothing to extreme
2. 2 lbs max a week
3. cardio about 3 times a week
4. something like 5-6 meals spaced out
5. 1g pro for 1lb body weight, maybe a little more
ect....

the main concern I have is whether to do heavy/low rep (maybe 5X5 routine, just slower progress?) or keep going with higher reps. I'm more leaning towards heavy/low reps, would this work with minimal damage. I really just want to preserve what I gained

thx in advance

th3pwn3r
01-13-2010, 12:20 PM
I'm coming of my winter bulk and I want to preserve as much mussel/strength as I can, after all thats why I bulked. I understand the basics
2. 2 lbs max a week
ect....

the main concern I have is whether to do heavy/low rep (maybe 5X5 routine, just slower progress?) or keep going with higher reps. I'm more leaning towards heavy/low reps, would this work with minimal damage. I really just want to preserve what I gained

thx in advance

Where in the world did you come across these basics?

Teflon_Don
01-13-2010, 12:22 PM
2. 2 lbs max a week
ect....

thx in advance

Heavy/low reps but reduce volume.

You don't need to eat 5-6 meals spaced out--the number and timing of meals should be based on your schedule and personal preferences.

chaser1712
01-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Heavy/low reps but reduce volume.

You don't need to eat 5-6 meals spaced out--the number and timing of meals should be based on your schedule and personal preferences.

Yep.

Bstu
01-13-2010, 01:23 PM
why heavy/low?

ive been doing reps of 12 with the highest weight i can complete through my bulk and now im just keeping with it during my cut

imsotheman
01-13-2010, 01:32 PM
Why would you change the way you lift just to cut? keep doing the same.. and keep progressing with your weights.. if you get weaker.. your sucking it up on your cut.. if you get stronger, your amazing.. add cardio.. eat the same... once you baseline.. lower calories.. idk why people immediately lower calories.. before even adding cardio... gah i dont even feel like typing correctly because this is insane lol.

Teflon_Don
01-13-2010, 01:35 PM
why heavy/low?

ive been doing reps of 12 with the highest weight i can complete through my bulk and now im just keeping with it during my cut

12 is at the higher end of the range. I say "low" because I want to prevent people from doing 20-rep sets or whatever while cutting. I ain't lyin.

luv2pump
01-13-2010, 04:37 PM
Low reps- heavy.

Colossal Spoons
01-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Those basics look pretty correct minus the 5-6 meals spaced out. That's hardly mandatory, it'll just help keep you full all day long.

As for how many reps and volume you should be doing, there's no rule. I'm cutting right now and haven't needed to stray from my regular 3x6 program. My maxes are actually going up even on a cut(yes, possible). No need to lift baby weight for 56 reps.

thebeastinside
01-14-2010, 04:14 AM
thx everyone
The only real reason I'm changing my routine is because i'm kinda at the higher end on the volume dial, and from past experience I know that won't work for me on a cut.

I think what I'm I'm going to do is go to 3*5 style routine, try to get as much linear progression as I can for a couple weeks, then go to a 5*5

maybe I'l tone down the emphasis on the # of meals

Tommy W.
01-14-2010, 06:12 AM
As everyone mentioned, heavy and low reps to a point, just not TOO heavy and TOO low of reps. Reduce volume as you wont be building, only maintaining. You want to give your body have a reason to hold on to muscle. Higher reps dont do this. Basically whatever was working for you to build, do the same thing with less volume.

tw