PDA

View Full Version : Holmgren, Browns hire Eagles GM Tom Heckert

LikeAMachine
01-08-2010, 10:55 PM
Tom Heckert is likely to be named the Cleveland Browns? new general manager, league sources have told NFL Network?s Michael Lombardi. An announcement is expected Monday.

In addition, a role that is yet to be determined may be in place for current Seattle Seahawks director of pro personnel Will Lewis, who was interviewed by Browns team president Mike Holmgren on Friday.

Heckert has served as the general manager of the Eagles since 2006.

Lewis joined the Seahawks? football operations staff as the team?s director of pro personnel in 1999, following three years with the Green Bay Packers? scouting department.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/08/heckert-like-to-be-named-browns-new-gm/

I can dig it, the eagles draft well. Holmgren is accumulating some good football minds already.

kethnaab
01-09-2010, 01:07 AM
Holmgren is accumulating some good football minds

i gotta agree

i'm not pleased with these recent developments in the least.

LikeAMachine
01-09-2010, 08:42 AM
It makes me happy that this dis-pleases you (not hate).

SuperAmmo
01-09-2010, 08:54 AM
It makes me happy that this dis-pleases you (not hate).

x2

Heckert and Mangini both like to trade down.

I wish there was a "Like this" button for that.

QB_Killa
01-09-2010, 09:00 AM
You realize Andy Reid makes all the final decisions when it comes to personnel?

SuperAmmo
01-09-2010, 09:02 AM

Who gives him the information to make that decision?

QB_Killa
01-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Who gives him the information to make that decision?

He's a good GM don't get me wrong I'm just saying it's AR who really picks out the talent

LikeAMachine
01-09-2010, 09:11 AM

I knew it was coming, he is just a figurehead, he doesn't actually do anything because Andy Reid does it all etc. etc.

I knew it was coming.

SuperAmmo
01-09-2010, 09:18 AM
He's a good GM don't get me wrong I'm just saying it's AR who really picks out the talent

Reid needs a strong personnel dept. to do that. He doesn't scout every player himself AND coach...no human being can do that in today's NFL.

Besides, successful NFL teams come to consensus decisions before picking players, I'm sure Heckert and Reid were on the same page.

spirit3530
01-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Looks like old Mikey H. Is going about things a LOT differently. New culture coming to the Browns. This can only help the Browns to be honest. How many wasted drafts do they have? I am sure Heckert picked up some stuff from AR.

LikeAMachine
01-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Eagles' Heckert likely to be named Browns next general manager

link

His coach locked in place, new Browns president Mike Holmgren continued his search for a general manager on Friday. And it looks like there is a favorite for the job.

Philadelphia Eagles GM Tom Heckert is likely to be named the Cleveland Browns’ new GM, league sources have told NFL Network's Michael Lombardi. An announcement is expected Monday.

Heckert, who has served as the GM of the Eagles since 2006, interviewed with Holmgren on Wednesday.

The Browns, who have not had a GM since George Kokinis was fired in November, will not conduct any interviews over the weekend, spokesman Neal Gulkis said.

Heckert, whose father, Tom, worked as a scout for the Browns in the 1980s, could be hired once the Eagles complete their season. They play the Dallas Cowboys in the NFC playoffs on Saturday. Heckert reportedly was going to interview for Seattle's GM job this week but backed out.

Holmgren also interviewed Seattle pro personnel director Will Lewis on Friday. Holmgren has hinted that Cleveland's hierarchy could be revamped, and Lombardi reports the Browns may have a role that is yet to be determined in place for Lewis.

Through a team spokesman, Holmgren reported the meeting with Lewis "went very well." Holmgren, who took over Cleveland's football operations earlier this week, previously worked with Lewis in Green Bay and Seattle. After his playing career ended, Lewis worked as a scout with the Packers before he was added by Holmgren to the Seahawks' pro personnel department.

So, it's possible both Lewis and Heckert could wind up in Cleveland's front office.

Heckert was cleared to interview with the Browns last year but turned down the opportunity when the team's focus shifted to Kokinis.

Holmgren decided on Thursday to retain coach Eric Mangini, who went 5-11 in his first season with the Browns.

"We talked about change and some of that is just restructuring," he said. "Sometimes you have five people changing the light bulb. We're going to look at everything and try and streamline things, get good people to do it and work hard."

tmc.
01-09-2010, 11:02 AM
God damnit. This is horrible for the Eagles.

Heckert is one of the best GMs in the league, the Eagles are always well under the cap while fielding a competitive team.

This probably means Reid will take more control which is not a good thing at all.

theACEofSPADES
01-09-2010, 11:11 AM
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee148/TheSieclops20/Avatars/1z4g0so-1.gif

Tyler44
01-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Good deal, Im liking Holmgrens moves already.

LikeAMachine
01-10-2010, 07:55 AM
Good deal, Im liking Holmgrens moves already.

The thing is, I am not sure Heckert would want to come here if not for Holmgren. It was like once we got Holmgren a lot of quality football guys who were not willing to come here before, now will at least think about it.

I love it, especially with 11 draft picks.

evilsteve02
01-10-2010, 08:05 AM
Interesting move, i hope it all plays out well...i am not looking for the team to go to the playoffs next year but if they can win 7 or 8 games i'd be happy ...i just hope some draft picks actually play next year.

LikeAMachine
01-10-2010, 08:12 AM
It's funny because I already envision us being a lot like Green Bay is. A lot of young players and draft picks.

Not saying we will be as good, because we don't have Aaron Rogers, but similar in terms of drafting philosphies and talent, defense first etc.