PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain to me how these college football seasons work?

*DH*
01-08-2010, 03:00 PM
I'd like to begin following, but I honestly have no idea how this **** works. There's like 10 different bowl games, and I have no idea which is the biggest one, etc. I'd like to know everything there is (pretty much all of the basics) to follow college football. How many games they play a season, how the playoffs work, how the bowl games work, what the main championship is, etc.

I'll rep whoever takes the time to explain this to me. Maybe I'll rep you twice.

JRRBadBoy4Life
01-08-2010, 03:23 PM

Is that North Dakota, USA?

KingCanuck
01-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Well to start off, the best two teams of the year face off in the "New Mexico Bowl".

DubV
01-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Well to start off, the best two teams of the year face off in the "New Mexico Bowl".

You're thinking of the papajohns.com bowl idiot

=T Bone=
01-08-2010, 03:35 PM
There are 5 Bcs games, there the best bowls.

Orange- Big east vs Acc
Sugar-Sec best vs at large
Rose-Big 10 best vs pac-10 best
Fiesta- big 12 vs at large
National title game- 2 best teams

VernonWellsFargo
01-08-2010, 03:38 PM
You're thinking of the papajohns.com bowl idiot

no stupid hes thinking of the outback bowl

Arrogant_American
01-08-2010, 03:42 PM
There are no playoffs. A bunch of stats, humans, and computers decide which teams are ranked the highest, called the BCS (Bowl Championship Serious), and pits them against one another in the BCS bowl games. Basically the whole systems sucks balls. You end up with some seriously ****ed up situations, with teams getting screwed over. In conclusion, we need a playoff system.

Devian
01-08-2010, 04:00 PM
College football is awful...the only thing good about it is the atmosphere...the game itself sucks and the whole system its structured around sucks.

bbacn123
01-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Well to start off the champion is not crowned based on games, a champion is crowned based on voting.

Have fun watching that gay ****

BrettT07
01-08-2010, 04:42 PM
There are 12 regular season games.

There are 6 big conferences, the BCS conferences, which consist of I think 8 to 12 teams. Then there are smaller conferences which most of the teams are much less talented. There are a few small conference teams that are good though.

Some conferences have a championship game, in which a win should help boost them into a better bowl. A loss can put a team into a smaller bowl (example- Alabama would have been in the nc last year but we lost to Florida in the sec championship game).

The ranking system is based on the top 25 teams out of 120. This is by the media in the ap poll, coaches in the coach's poll, and a combination of the two plus several computer formulas in the BCS poll. The bcs determines the top 5 bowls, especially the national championship game.

The big conferences:

sec= southeastern conference
big 10 = 11 teams in the north around Ohio and Michigan
big 12= 12 teams in the south around Texas
PAC 10= pacific 10, based around California
ACC= Atlantic Coast Conference
Big East= teams in the east from south to north, assorted throughout sec, acc, and big 10 country

small conferences:

WAC= western athletic conference, Boise State is king here
MWC= mountain west conference, Utah and TCU standout
Mac= hmm, I don't know really. They are pretty much the bottom
sun belt= no standouts, Troy is okay
C-USA= conference USA, Houston was pretty good this year

there are also independents, such as army, navy, and Notre Dame (big 10 wants notre dame to join, but there's a lot going on there)

The system has changed throughout the years. Pre- ap era (associated press) national championships were given out, but some people don't like having these claimed (Alabama claims 13 national championships, ap credits us with 8 since 1936).

The BCS came out sometime in the 90s. The sec has won most of the national championships which causes much debate about conference strength.

Strength of schedule varies team to team. Perceived conference strength is important here if trying to get into a better ranking. Out of conference games are important too.

Players stay for up to 6 years. However, only 4 years eligible to play. A redshirt is used for a player to sit out the entire year and that year will not be used as a year of eligibility. This is useful for freshman recruits that need to learn the system and hone their physical attributes and skills. A sixth year can be gained from a medical redshirt.

Recruits out of high school choose which school they want out of teams that offer them a scholarship. Or, they can walk on. Generally walk ons are not standout players, but sometimes they will prove themselves worthy of a scholarship.

Each team may only have 85 scholarship spots on the roster.

Recruits are ranked up to 5 stars. Big schools tend to get a lot of 4 stars with some 5 stars (low single digits).

The traditional powerhouses are (in no particular order): Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma, and USC. Some others are Miami, Florida State, Georgia, Florida, Nebraska, Penn State, Tennessee, and there are others that other people can help name.

If you want to start learning a lot, read around on the college football section of espn.com a lot and you'll start picking up on things.

BrettT07
01-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Another thing: due to the fact that there isn't a playoff, each game is very important if you want to go as high as possible. Therefore, the atmosphere in certain games can be very intense. An example: in the Alabama and Tennessee game this year (a rivalry game) Tennessee needed a last second field goal to ruin our season (as in no national championship which we just got). One of our players, Terrence "Mount" Cody, was able to block this field goal (his second of the game which is very rare) and allow our season to go on. The stadium became insanely loud and extremely happy. I doubt very much you'll find an equivalent atmosphere (over 90, 000 super happy fans) in a regular season game of another sport.

*DH*
01-08-2010, 04:59 PM
^Best reply ever. Repped, and I'll rep you again later on if I remember.

*DH*
01-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Another question.

How do people pick which team to support? Is it based off where they were born/where they live just like professional sports? Or is it based off which college they attended/will attend?

ko5567
01-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Another question.

How do people pick which team to support? Is it based off where they were born/where they live just like professional sports? Or is it based off which college they attended/will attend?

all 3 plus things like if their family attended the school/been fans of the school

*DH*
01-08-2010, 05:24 PM
all 3 plus things like if their family attended the school/been fans of the school

Alright let's say I was born in LA. I support UCLA, but I plan on attending Notre Dame.

Then what?

BrettT07
01-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Alright let's say I was born in LA. I support UCLA, but I plan on attending Notre Dame.

Then what?

Either one you want.

If I went to some college besides Alabama, I'd still be a bama fan. But, in Alabama for the most part you're either an Alabama or an auburn fan.

Just go with whoever you'd enjoy pulling for more probably. It's a personal choice in my opinion

thedestro
01-08-2010, 05:55 PM
If you go to Notre Dame, you support Notre Dame.

ko5567
01-08-2010, 06:02 PM

Then what?

you can be a fan of more than 1 team

jcbrowns
01-08-2010, 07:12 PM
His sig says he's a bears fan but I remember from the steelers making excuses thread, he claims to be a steeler fan.

G-mane12
01-08-2010, 07:14 PM
lol.. just lol

Dr_Leo_Marvin
01-08-2010, 07:16 PM
big 10 is the best conference. SEC is the worst

jcbrowns
01-08-2010, 07:24 PM
The winner of the NC (Alabama) has to play the UFL champs (Las Vegas). (srs)

MtnJax
01-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Football Championship Subdivision (I-AA) gets it right every year.

NYY
01-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Op, you're not a Steelers fan anymore?

*DH*
01-12-2010, 01:10 AM
Op, you're not a Steelers fan anymore?

The unawareness is just facepalm.jpg

I was being a bandwagon troll. Steelers/Celtics are not my teams.