PDA

View Full Version : Texas probably would have won the game if Colt didn't get hurt

leafs43
01-08-2010, 01:41 AM
I am not Texas fan, nor a hater of the SEC. In fact pregame I said I believed Bama would win the game.

However, Texas with a freshman qb had zero offense in the first half and multiple turnovers by the same freshman which all converted to Bama scores gave Bama the win. Colt probably would not have made 3 crucial turnovers in the NC how they happened, especially that god awful shuttle pass before the half.

Its a shame that both teams couldn't be out there.

Brobbeh
01-08-2010, 01:59 AM
I am not Texas fan, nor a hater of the SEC. In fact pregame I said I believed Bama would win the game.

However, Texas with a freshman qb had zero offense in the first half and multiple turnovers by the same freshman which all converted to Bama scores gave Bama the win. Colt probably would not have made 3 crucial turnovers in the NC how they happened, especially that god awful shuttle pass before the half.

It really is a shame that Colt McCoy got injured. I would have liked to see both teams play each other at full power. Though you have to place some blame on Texas for not giving their second string QB enough reps during the regular season to feel confident in a game. I'm not saying that Gilbert should have been prepared for a stage as big as the National Championship game, but you do need to look at his stats for the whole season to show how unprepared he really was.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=480209

The game WOULD have been different if Colt McCoy was in for the full duration of the game, but you can't deny the lack of experience his replacement had.

PatrickBateman1
01-08-2010, 02:32 AM
Even thought I'm a Bama fan, I hated to see Colt go down. However, that's part of the game, and yes it sucks, but the rest of the Texas team had absolutely no chance to cover for his loss and that's something you still need to prepare for.

Also, Bama played an EXTREMELY conservative game the second half. Saban knew he just had to run the clock down and keep possession and they would win. Gilbert shocked some people by stepping up late in the game (he's going to be one hell of a QB) and it got a bit too close, but Bama just doesn't make mistakes and they step it up when it matters.

The first 5-6 minutes looked great for Texas but they were playing off of emotion and adrenaline (not that there's anything wrong with that) and they still only scored two field goals. Bama's game is designed to wear those teams out, and that's exactly what they did. Saban doesn't coach a sexy/high scoring game... he coaches a game that wins and it's as simple as that. No mistakes and great execution. If Colt was still playing, Bama's game plan in the second half would have been much more aggressive, but since it didn't need to be, they put the ball in their 3 future NFL RB's hands. I'm sure as hell not saying Colt getting hurt didn't make a difference (because it did), but Alabama was a defensive team that was prepared for anything and had an offensive unit that had no problem managing the game.

The better team won tonight... simple as that.

PatrickBateman1
01-08-2010, 02:35 AM
I would also like to say that I honestly felt kind of bad for Gilbert when he went in. He barely played this year and he got thrust into the biggest game of his entire life (most likely) against one of the nastiest defenses in recent years.

He grew some major balls in the second half though and started looking like a real QB, I was really impressed. He's gonna be one hell of a QB and I wish him the best of luck.

D1IsInMyFuture
01-08-2010, 02:39 AM
Ok, how's this one for you? If Ingram didn't get a cramp Alabama probably would've scored 3 more touchdowns.

People get hurt, it's just sad Texas had their whole team relying on one person.

kyleTX
01-08-2010, 02:42 AM
Even thought I'm a Bama fan, I hated to see Colt go down. However, that's part of the game, and yes it sucks, but the rest of the Texas team had absolutely no chance to cover for his loss and that's something you still need to prepare for.

Also, Bama played an EXTREMELY conservative game the second half. Saban knew he just had to run the clock down and keep possession and they would win. Gilbert shocked some people by stepping up late in the game (he's going to be one hell of a QB) and it got a bit too close, but Bama just doesn't make mistakes and they step it up when it matters.

The first 5-6 minutes looked great for Texas but they were playing off of emotion and adrenaline (not that there's anything wrong with that) and they still only scored two field goals. Bama's game is designed to wear those teams out, and that's exactly what they did. Saban doesn't coach a sexy/high scoring game... he coaches a game that wins and it's as simple as that. No mistakes and great execution. If Colt was still playing, Bama's game plan in the second half would have been much more aggressive, but since it didn't need to be, they put the ball in their 3 future NFL RB's hands. I'm sure as hell not saying Colt getting hurt didn't make a difference (because it did), but Alabama was a defensive team that was prepared for anything and had an offensive unit that had no problem managing the game.

well put

kyleTX
01-08-2010, 02:43 AM
I would also like to say that I honestly felt kind of bad for Gilbert when he went in. He barely played this year and he got thrust into the biggest game of his entire life (most likely) against one of the nastiest defenses in recent years.

He grew some major balls in the second half though and started looking like a real QB, I was really impressed. He's gonna be one hell of a QB and I wish him the best of luck.

gotta blame the ut coaches for his inexperience thus far, there was plenty of time of him to get p.t. but they decided to bolster colt's stats for the heisman race

JRRBadBoy4Life
01-08-2010, 04:38 AM
His legs would have made a couple more big plays. He makes one less mistake down the stretch. Texas only loses by 3.

LiftHeavy85
01-08-2010, 05:32 AM
Ok, how's this one for you? If Ingram didn't get a cramp Alabama probably would've scored 3 more touchdowns.

People get hurt, it's just sad Texas had their whole team relying on one person.

if colt didnt get hurt texas could have been up 14-0 instead of 6-0...big difference

Him getting hurt changed the whole scheme of the game...texas had to run more and pass less....so bama just stacked the box.

its unfortunate that it happened but gilbert is a rising player so well be fine next year

jason_bh
01-08-2010, 05:46 AM
http://www.digitaldreamdesigns.com/stuffs/colt.jpg

Nikhiln25
01-08-2010, 05:47 AM
Honestly, I felt horrible for McCoy seeing him during the post game interview with tears in his eyes barely able to talk. I can only imagine how much it would suck watching everything you love everything you played for just crash in front of your eyes and you couldn't do a thing about it.

As far as Gilbert goes, this kid has a great future at Texas. Putting up numbers like those as a freshman with no experience in a game of this magnitude is truely impressive.

However I don't feel sympathetic towards Texas saying they lost just because McCoy was out. Injuries are part of the game, and when you prepare, you prepare for every aspect of the game. Injuries are no exception to that. It is Texas's fault to not prepare their back up QB throughout the season just incase a situation like this arised. I'm pretty sure during practice for the last few weeks, not much was done to prepare Gilbert just incase McCoy got injured. So coaching is to blame for this loss as much as anything else.

5x10
01-08-2010, 07:36 AM
who knows if they would have won, but im sure it would have been a completely different game

thegenerel
01-08-2010, 07:55 AM

does your older brother play baseball at a division 1 college by chance?

Torrtrefireto
01-08-2010, 08:04 AM
For a true freshman making his first start against the nation's best D..... that kid had a helluva second half.

They had their chance even with him in.

Fastforward7
01-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Even thought I'm a Bama fan..

How can you be a Bama fan and a Michigan fan?

IraHays
01-08-2010, 08:32 AM
For a true freshman making his first start against the nation's best D..... that kid had a helluva second half.

Very true. Texas has a good one with that kid. He could have just totally imploded after that start, but he showed how tough and composed he is.

B. Roth
01-08-2010, 08:34 AM
I feel bad for Colt. Football players grow up their whole lives wanting to do two things. Win a NC in college, win a Super Bowl in the pros. A lot of them never even get to play in those two games. Can you imagine what it would be like to work for 4 years to finally make it to the NC as a Senior. Knowing it is the last game of your college career and you have a chance to lead your team to glory. Then you take like 5 snaps and are knocked out of the game? That is probably going to haunt him for the rest of his life. The sad thing is the hit he took looked like nothing. But it must have got him just right because there is no way Colt isn't playing in that game unless he physically can't.

I think everyone in the stadium knew that when Colt went out of the game Texas' shot at winning was slim to none. I think they played a heck of a game in the 2nd half when things started clicking. Congrats to 'Bama even though I'm a Longhorns fan. 'Bama may have still won if Colt was in the game...or maybe it would have gone the other way. But we'll never know.

cncman
01-08-2010, 08:39 AM
gotta blame the ut coaches for his inexperience thus far, there was plenty of time of him to get p.t. but they decided to bolster colt's stats for the heisman race

Very true, gilbert is afraid of everything and it took a quarter for him to find any motion. I watched him play hs fb, and have to say he was quite the phenom. Too bad his first real game had to be against ALABAMA in the national championship.

Calhexas
01-08-2010, 10:19 AM

This

sucks that Colt wasn't in (because all the Texas homers are blaming him for the loss) but the fact is his absence was because Marcel Dareus is a freak. If you payed attention to the game he was throwing double teams around all night. In 1-2 years he will be another Suh. Book it.

PatrickBateman1
01-08-2010, 04:58 PM
How can you be a Bama fan and a Michigan fan?

I'm a Michigan fanatic, they always have been and always will be my #1 team by a long shot. However, my family have always been Bama fans (behind Michigan) since I've got family from there and we're really close. The fam down there are about the biggest Bama football freaks ever (my cousin went to every game, home or away, and the championship game).

GermanBB
01-08-2010, 05:20 PM

This.

mtomjr14
01-08-2010, 05:53 PM

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/nursetpd/Alabama/Saban_crystal_celebration.gif