PDA

View Full Version : Worst contract of this off-season? (MLB)

TheBateman
01-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Hopefully we got some MLB fans on bb.com...

I'll start

Fernando Rodney- LAA
2 years, 11 mill
Angels had huge problems going into this off-season losing their top guys to free agency and they decided to add gasoline to fire by adding Rodney. He's lights out with no one on base but once someone gets on get the prayer beads out. Fuentes had similar troubles last season so it'll be interesting to see the 8th and 9th inning for the Angels this year.

TexasHeat
01-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Houston contract to the pitcher from detroit... cant think of him

3 years 15 million for a gascan

edit: Brandon Lyon

sellihca
01-07-2010, 10:55 PM
jason bay is an overrated and now overpaid steaming pile of ****

SteezeFactory
01-07-2010, 10:57 PM

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaha

Lyon is such a piece of sh*t it's not even funny.

TheBateman
01-07-2010, 10:57 PM
That one slipped my mind. Good call.

TheBateman
01-07-2010, 10:59 PM
jason bay is an overrated and now overpaid steaming pile of ****

LOL @ Mets
****ing OMAR
this team is so hopeless. they have the market, the new park, the money, but possibly the dumbest GM alive. Why he still has a job, I don't know.

bbacn123
01-07-2010, 11:04 PM
Cubs sign Marlon Byrd to 3 year $15 mil deal

Phillies sign Placido Polanco to 3 year $18 mil deal

kyleTX
01-07-2010, 11:29 PM

true, 3 years is retarded. I mean we traded for Matt Lindstrom so it's obvious we have no confidence in either one to be the main guy.

I'll add Pedro Feliz 1 yr 4.5 mil. The guy is the ultimate rally killer, how happy are philly fans to get rid of this bum?

NYY
01-07-2010, 11:32 PM
LOL @ Mets
****ing OMAR
this team is so hopeless. they have the market, the new park, the money, but possibly the dumbest GM alive. Why he still has a job, I don't know.

Cause they have an even dumber owner who gives him unlimited chances.

Phillies sign Placido Polanco to 3 year $18 mil deal

This.

jacketfan
01-07-2010, 11:36 PM
billy wagner. coming off a major injury and old as ****. and gets the same deal as the consensus top reliever on the market(soriano).

bbacn123
01-07-2010, 11:45 PM
billy wagner. coming off a major injury and old as ****. and gets the same deal as the consensus top reliever on the market(soriano).

I know it's a small sample size but he really showed no ill-effects when he returned at the end of last season, and to top it off he was pitching in small ass Fenway park and still put up good numbers and struck out a high rate of batters.

As long as Wagner doesn't get injured, he's better than Soriano

jacketfan
01-07-2010, 11:49 PM

oh and to top it off, he was signed by the braves for a lil under 8 mil. This is the same team that was forced to deal Javy Vazquez for 9 mil in savings which isnt going to be used to sign any other player. it was just to cut payroll.

so the braves basically got rid of having an ace for next season. for a season of billy wagner, who plays the most overrated position in baseball and probably wont play half the year

that is why wagner is the worst deal this offseason.

TheBateman
01-08-2010, 01:02 AM
Silva for Bradley was a pretty lol trade

Pro_Shark
01-08-2010, 03:40 AM

Glad he is no longer on the Dbacks. Sorry in advance brah.

Either Byrd or Lyon imo.

NDame616
01-08-2010, 04:34 AM
There aren't any real awful signings this offseason.

Wagner's deal isn't that bad, considering it's only for a year (although I love the fact we got a draft pick out of it)

Bay's contract isn't that bad, and won't be that bad prolly until the 4th and 5th year, depending on how he holds up. Although I'm sure the deal would've been a better one if it was on an AL team so he could be a DH (but that would almost make the deal worse because you would be paying like $16M a year for a DH.......)

Lyon is skitzo. Two years ago he had 26 saves but like a 4.5 ERA. This year he cut his ERA in half. If he can lower his ERA and get those 26 saves, it's a bargain.

There's no Alfonso Sorianoesque deals this offseason.....

IraHays
01-08-2010, 07:55 AM
I can't figure out this Jason Bay hate. The guys is a masher.

NDame616
01-08-2010, 08:04 AM

I don't get it either. I mean, he prolly is being overpaid by a few mill a year, and the 5th year may be trouble, but it isn't a terrible contract. While the ballpark will take away some of his power, he still gets 81 game AWAY from the park....

If he continues to play like he has, and experiences a decline in his mid 30s (which isn't guaranteed), this will be a perfectly fine contract.

Grind4Mine
01-08-2010, 08:09 AM
I predict John Lackey will be half as valuable as his deal this offseason, but with a large market team like the Red Sox they can afford to hit and miss while most other teams cannot, and still come back with ammmunition to sign other big money FA's down the road. It's becoming rediculous

89FoxBody
01-08-2010, 08:16 AM
The signing itself was good but he fact that the Cards gave 7/120 to a player that nobody else was even bidding for is hilarious.

NDame616
01-08-2010, 08:17 AM
The signing itself was good but he fact that the Cards gave 7/120 to a player that nobody else was even bidding for is hilarious.

I'd really be interested in hearing what the next best offer was.

Yankees didn't want him, Sox didn't want him, Mets didn't want him....The Cards overpaid by $20M or so probably.

Grind4Mine
01-08-2010, 08:21 AM

I'd really be interested in hearing what the next best offer was.

Yankees didn't want him, Sox didn't want him, Mets didn't want him....The Cards overpaid by $20M or so probably.

agree with both, but Boras knew full well they had no choice but to sign Matt Holliday, and I'm not so sure we wouldn't have seen a couple more teams appear out of the woodwork if he could be had for 90mill like the birds wanted. Maybie not, but Ryan Ludwick can't cut it as the guy hitting behind Albert, Matt Holliday can.

VernonWellsFargo
01-08-2010, 08:48 AM
as a ngels fna im pissed about fernando rodney. we already have ****ty fuentes.... plz god let scott shields be the closer this year

IraHays
01-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Holliday is going to put up some insane numbers in St. Louis.

thefullmonte
01-08-2010, 08:53 AM
as a ngels fna im pissed about fernando rodney. we already have ****ty fuentes.... plz god let scott shields be the closer this year

rodney and fuentes are ****ing clones.

that signing makes zero sense.

thefullmonte
01-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Holliday is going to put up some insane numbers in St. Louis.

Hitting in-front of Pujols has got to be fun.

Exist 2 Inspire
01-08-2010, 09:19 AM
I know it's a small sample size but he really showed no ill-effects when he returned at the end of last season, and to top it off he was pitching in small ass Fenway park and still put up good numbers and struck out a high rate of batters.

As long as Wagner doesn't get injured, he's better than Soriano
Yeah he was completely dominant in the time that he played last year. A full season of something that resembles that kind of play is not a bad deal for us. Being more of a southern kind of guy Wagner is a better fit in Atlanta (and for Cox) than Soriano anyway. I loved Soriano but he never seemed to give a sh*t about anything at all...I don't even think I've ever heard him speak.

Agreed, haters will hate. Dude is a great hitter.

snakehips31
01-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Randy "Teen" Wolf- I believe it was 3 years 29 million.

JuicintheJuice
01-08-2010, 10:29 AM
polanco was by far the worst signing

weakguy
01-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Holliday is going to put up some insane numbers in St. Louis. True, but that big contract is going to hand cuff the cards in the future. Assuming they resign pujols, they will have about 40 million a year tied up in two guys. Which would be fine for a big market team like new york or LA, but not for st louis.

USAviator
01-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Brandon lyon

Pedro Feliz

I hate Houston management

iliveinjersey
01-08-2010, 01:10 PM
The Mets signing isnt that awful. I mean we needed a bat badly. I would rather see us get Bay then keep the trash we have right now. A different outfielder every day. We need a 2nd baseman and a catcher asap and 2 starting pitchers... for the thread sake def go with palcido with the phillies

TheBateman
01-08-2010, 06:08 PM

Yes Bay's a solid hitter but have you seen him play defense. I'm not even a Red Sox fan and just watching him in the outfield makes me feel uncomfortable. He has a noodle arm and little range. Yes, you might see some highlights on sportscenter and think he's a great glove but he is absolutely not. UZR doesn't lie.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=1717&position=OF#fielding

Look at his UZR/150....-11.2
This guy is getting way overpaid.

TexasHeat
01-08-2010, 06:10 PM
what are the astros doing? Now signed Brett Meyers for 5 million dollars lmao

TheBateman
01-08-2010, 09:42 PM
lol I feel so bad for Oswalt.

kyleTX
01-08-2010, 09:44 PM
what are the astros doing? Now signed Brett Meyers for 5 million dollars lmao

huh? bringing Myers in is a GREAT move. He's a decent #3 or #4 starter and only 29 yrs old. He was making 12 million last season. What's the problem here?

FLAY
01-08-2010, 09:46 PM
true, 3 years is retarded. I mean we traded for Matt Lindstrom so it's obvious we have no confidence in either one to be the main guy.

I'll add Pedro Feliz 1 yr 4.5 mil. The guy is the ultimate rally killer, how happy are philly fans to get rid of this bum?

Enjoy 100 mph pitches that are high and outside.

TheBateman
01-08-2010, 09:49 PM
huh? bringing Myers in is a GREAT move. He's a decent #3 or #4 starter and only 29 yrs old. He was making 12 million last season. What's the problem here?

His declining K/9 rate, increasing ERA, declining velocity, high HR rate...

In 6 full season he's given up 20 homers only once, 9 in one season (his closer year).
The other 4 season- 29, 29, 31, 31.
He's going to get destroyed.

user8489791000
01-08-2010, 09:51 PM
LOL @ Mets
****ing OMAR

no they had to sign somebody to shut the fans up. If they didn't sign bay who else is there?

TheBateman
01-08-2010, 09:52 PM
no they had to sign somebody to shut the fans up. If they didn't sign bay who else is there?

Matt Holliday?

89FoxBody
01-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Matt Holliday?

John Lackey, Chone Figgins, etc etc.

The Mets are just laughably bad.

kyleTX
01-08-2010, 09:56 PM
His declining K/9 rate, increasing ERA, declining velocity, high HR rate...

In 6 full season he's given up 20 homers only once, 9 in one season (his closer year).
The other 4 season- 29, 29, 31, 31.
He's going to get destroyed.

are you aware we were using both Mike Hampton and Russ Ortiz in the middle of our rotation last season? If Myers can maintain a sub-5 ERA (which he's done the last 5 seasons) while staying healthy then I couldn't be more pleased.

Tell me another free agent starter that adds some depth to a weak rotation for under 5 mill? When somebody signs one be sure to post it here.

TheBateman
01-08-2010, 09:58 PM
John Lackey, Chone Figgins, etc etc.

The Mets are just laughably bad.

They weren't available at the time of the Bay signing but that's the Met's own damn fault. They should've jumped on Lackey as soon as free agency started. Their rotation after Santana is lol....

TheBateman
01-08-2010, 10:01 PM
are you aware we were using both Mike Hampton and Russ Ortiz in the middle of our rotation last season? If Myers can maintain a sub-5 ERA (which he's done the last 5 seasons) while staying healthy then I couldn't be more pleased.

Tell me another free agent starter that adds some depth to a weak rotation for under 5 mill? When somebody signs one be sure to post it here.

Ben Sheets 3-5M+incentives. He wants 10 but he's not going to get it anywhere
Erik Bedard
Doug Davis
Joel Pineiro (ugh)
John Smoltz
Chien-Ming Wang

TheBateman
01-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Might need to add Arnoldis Chapman to the list if the contract is 5 years, 30M.

TexasHeat
01-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Might need to add Arnoldis Chapman to the list if the contract is 5 years, 30M.

yep, thats the new winner.