PDA

View Full Version : Running versus Swimming

Toddyo0o
01-07-2010, 08:22 PM
So i've never worked out before but I want to start working out.
I'm sorry if this is already in a sticky or another thread, if so just point me to it.
I'm mesomorphic so i've been told, I'm naturally built with an atheletic build.
However I do have some fat on my stomach, not much but enough to just hide my six pack below. Even when playing for soccer teams it doesnt seem to really recede. Is this just baby fat or alot of skin or something, or what should I do to ensure getting rid of this. This has always been a mystery for me.

Also I'm wondering what the benifits are for running appose to swimming or visa versa. Should one be doing both? I'm a complete beginner :(

eadgbe6
01-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Take it from someone who did a lot of both in high school, when it comes to getting in shape and getting a good looking body, swimming is by far the better choice. The only reason I don't still do it is because there aren't any indoor pools near me.

Toddyo0o
01-07-2010, 08:37 PM
My friend tried to tell me that swimming works on more muscle and gets you better cardio, but he said for burning fat it's not as efficient as running because you dont sweat as much?

sakofan
01-07-2010, 08:42 PM
I do both.

In a 30 minute session, I'll burn more calories running, but swimming has other advantages:
*No stress on the joints
*Full body
*Water adds a different kind of resistance

emmyemmy
01-07-2010, 08:55 PM
swimming will make you use more muscles AND put less impact on your joints than running.

It really can't be beat.

Wowzer
01-07-2010, 10:57 PM
So i've never worked out before but I want to start working out.
I'm sorry if this is already in a sticky or another thread, if so just point me to it.
I'm mesomorphic so i've been told, I'm naturally built with an atheletic build.
However I do have some fat on my stomach, not much but enough to just hide my six pack below. Even when playing for soccer teams it doesnt seem to really recede. Is this just baby fat or alot of skin or something, or what should I do to ensure getting rid of this. This has always been a mystery for me.

Also I'm wondering what the benifits are for running appose to swimming or visa versa. Should one be doing both? I'm a complete beginner :(

Running will give higher energy expenditure for a given time frame. It is much more energy costly to carry your body weight than it is to drag it through water.

On a distance scale, swimming will cost much more energy, because dragging yourself through water is not an effective way to move forward.

Below link gives some estimates of energy for different exercise modes:
http://www.brianmac.co.uk/energyexp.htm

MP4AU
01-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Just do both for fatloss. I will say look a swimmers... they are pretty much famous for their physiques. The swimmers I know don't lift weights and they have pretty decent builds on them and are lean as hell.

Steve J0bs
01-07-2010, 11:15 PM
I've been swimming for 2 weeks and it's so much better than running. I get bored within 5-10 minutes of running even with music on. Swimming is way more fun and definitely makes you tired.

luv2pump
01-07-2010, 11:17 PM
Do both. Running gets me the best results BUT it sure comes with a price as it's taxing on the body. It hurts my back when I do it a lot. Swimming, as stated, provides a different but certainly challenging workout and will play an equal part in getting you in shape. You can also buy resistance gloves to swim with if you really want to make the swimming as effective as possible.

minvec
01-08-2010, 12:00 AM
Do what ever you enjoy more.

I don't know if it is the cold water or what, but when I go swimming, I get the monster munchies. So even though I enjoy it, I don't make it my cardio routine.

Blueta
01-08-2010, 05:44 PM
I personally like swimming, but there is an article http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/blog/swimming-weight-loss

Do both swimming and running, also watch your diet and you'll be fine

The_Metal
01-08-2010, 05:47 PM
If I could get to a pool easily I would definitely swim, it's way more fun and less harsh on knees.

EdMcK515
01-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Another vote for swimming. Swimming is the only steady state cardio I ever do. Anything else ends up being HIIT with me because I burn muscle off way too fast. Don't have that problem at all with swimming.