PDA

View Full Version : Holmgren keeps Mangini as HC of Browns

neilsabo
01-07-2010, 12:19 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4805274

Eric Mangini will return for another season as head coach of the Cleveland Browns.

Browns president Mike Holmgren informed the entire Browns coaching staff that they would return for the 2010 season after three days of meetings with Mangini, a team source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Mangini went 5-11 in his first season with the Browns, who finished with a four-game winning streak.

Holmgren is also interviewing general manager candidates this week. On Wednesday, Eagles GM Tom Heckert visited the Browns. Per league rules, Heckert could not be hired by Cleveland until Philadelphia completes its season.

In addition, Will Lewis, the director of pro personnel for the Seattle Seahawks, will interview for the Cleveland Browns' general manager's job Friday, a source told ESPN.com.

guess those last 4 wins basically earned him another year of employment

LikeAMachine
01-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Holmgren is smart.

Mangini is a good coach of football....everything else, well....

papi93
01-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Holmgren is a good head coach and teacher of quarterbacks but I'm not sold on him running an organization. Keeping Mangini did nothing to change my mind.

LikeAMachine
01-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Holmgren is a good head coach and teacher of quarterbacks but I'm not sold on him running an organization. Keeping Mangini did nothing to change my mind.

I see it exactly the other way.

Mangini is a good coach, his vision for this team is everything that Cleveland football should be.

G-mane12
01-07-2010, 12:37 PM
jakes on the browns... again

ty247
01-07-2010, 12:51 PM
You've got to give props to Mangini, he traded away all of his best offensive weapons on a garbage team to begin with and managed to come away with 5 wins. He managed to rally his team at the end in a meaningless season.

Beating Pittsburgh gave him a huge boost to his fan fare.

Having 11 picks in this upcoming draft was smart.

I don't really like him all that much but I'm intrigued to see what happens.

LikeAMachine
01-07-2010, 12:55 PM
You've got to give props to Mangini, he traded away all of his best offensive weapons on a garbage team to begin with and managed to come away with 5 wins. He managed to rally his team at the end in a meaningless season.

Knowing all of this, I find it hard to understand why people think keeping him is the wrong move.

The sad part.....we only had 4 wins last year with said offensive talent....

dirtdickens
01-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Nnnnnoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

caj
01-07-2010, 01:29 PM
I kept hearing how Holmgren didn't like to fire coaches who had only had one year under their belt.

Hopefully Holmgren will force a decision about who the starting qb will be before next September. lol

LikeAMachine
01-07-2010, 01:31 PM
I kept hearing how Holmgren didn't like to fire coaches who had only had one year under their belt.

Hopefully Holmgren will force a decision about who the starting qb will be before next September. lol

He is going to draft one.

Because Quinn and Anderson aren't good.

chargerfn909
01-07-2010, 01:41 PM
jakes on the browns... again

I wouldn't speak too soon. That's your favorite division and if they do turn things around god knows you will be in the "Dog Pound" come next year..jus' sayin..

Tyler44
01-07-2010, 01:44 PM

I feel exactly this way. Im not a Mangini fan, never liked the hire but Im very intereested to see what he can do with 20 draft picks the next 2 drafts and big momentum from the end of this season.

imperialfool
01-07-2010, 01:58 PM
I don't understand the hate on brady quinn. I think he can definitely be the browns QB when given the full support of the organization and the tools a good QB needs.

he seems to have his RB in harrison, lewis if he stays. massaquoi seems to be the #1 receiver. robiskie isn't bad, but they need a good #2 probably from the draft. I forgot about him, but stuckey isn't bad either.

the team is young, but the team is looking up.

I think drafting a QB would be a mistake. At the 7th pick they should pick up either the best player on the board (non QB/position they're already good at), or dez bryant if they think he's worth it.

either that or they trade down for even more picks and get golden tate late in the first.

I'm really impressed by mangini's decisions. Edwards/Winslow were good players, but they weren't going to resign with the browns. mangini got the best he could for them and that was way better than nothing after this season. I like where the browns seem to be going.

joelz54_99
01-07-2010, 02:21 PM
I would be shocked if they draft a WR #1.

iliveinjersey
01-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Holmgren is smart.

Mangini is a good coach of football....everything else, well....

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

TexasHeat
01-07-2010, 02:29 PM
ib4 holgrem fires mangina and hires himself

MontelWilliams
01-07-2010, 02:30 PM
I kinda like him...b/c he reminds me so much of Doug Heffernan

Tyler44
01-07-2010, 02:32 PM
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

well, your Jets didnt improve over him being there last year.

iliveinjersey
01-07-2010, 02:37 PM
well, your Jets didnt improve over him being there last year.

hey man we r in the playoffs. Why doesnt he just give quinn the starting job instead of switching every other week like a fool? Is brady Quinn really that bad?

caj
01-07-2010, 02:38 PM
I don't understand the hate on brady quinn. I think he can definitely be the browns QB when given the full support of the organization and the tools a good QB needs.

Agree. BQ should've never been benched in the middle of the season. Build an offense around him, give him your assurance that he's the guy, and watch him outwork everyone around him.

leafs43
01-07-2010, 02:52 PM

Brady Quinn has been playing about as well as Jamarcus Russell.

Lean88
01-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Im not a huge fan of Mangini but it takes more than 1 year to turn a basement team like the Browns around. For my money you've got to give him a chance to establish a footprint on the organization

jcbrowns
01-07-2010, 03:35 PM
It was the fair thing to do. One year is not enough for anyone to prove themselves. The Browns won 5 games with alot of the starters on IR. Just a bunch of rag tag players who came together and played with some heart. I don't know if most of this was because of Mangini or these bench players and waiver pickups trying to prove their worth. I think a little bit of both. Glad to see Mangini is coming back with most or all of his staff. I've heard it both ways.

evilsteve02
01-07-2010, 03:40 PM

Well here's the deal, he traded away the 2 biggest headaches on the team (Stone hands edwards and Iraqi war vet Kellen Winslow) and he got the same amount of wins as last year, lower payroll for the offseason, and more draft picks. Just for that i liked the guy. I think Browns fans needed to understand that this wasn't the same as when we hired the new coaches before. Mangini was going to transform the team, not just change the offensive scheme and sign a few FA's. Personally, i love the browns even more, they are gritty and hard nosed. They don't have any cry babies on the team, no wimpy guys (other than Cribbs when he talks)...i like the guy, i think what he is teaching these guys is working (we improved from 26th most penalized team to 4th...which shows what he is doing is working)...Mangini said it would take more than a year, but Browns fans are the most impacient people on the planet (especiallythose 2 bozo's who staged that crap on monday night that was stupid all in itself)....building a winner takes time...I am really happy with Holmgren for keeping Mangini.

jcbrowns
01-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Alot of Browns fans know or should know it does take some time to build a winning football team but the reason why some are impatient is they have been rebuilding since 1999. Go a few years, scrap that plan, bring in a new administration and repeat that over and over. It's not hard to see why some fans are impatient. I'm not one of 'em I'm so used to seeing this stuff now it doesn't faze me anymore.

dirtdickens
01-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Let me first say this

I am praying they are only keeping him around to be the fall guy next year. Glad the Browns won 4 in a row, glad they saved a ton of money while grabbing some extra picks. Awesome.

Here are my issues with this
-Beating the f'n sisters of the poor the last month of the year does not make me forget about how bad the rest of the season was. There is a reason Holmgren was hired, it is because the guy calling all the shots is a retard(Mangini). We wouldnt be here today unless the massive errors of Manigini had taken place.
-Props on moving Braylon and K2, any idiot saw those moves needed to be made. Quit acting like they were garbage that Mangini got great value for while using them as leverage to say that Mangini won these games after trading away his offensive playmakers.
-The thing no one has mentioned is that the worst freaking OC of all time was kept on staff. Are you serious? The only reason the Browns won those games was because of the crappy opponent, Harrison and Cribbs.
-The players hate Mangini, forget the Gatorade bath, the league was going to step in because of players getting injured during "extra practice". You all know the other stories.
-Holmgren is a West Coast and 4-3 guy. Something doesnt fit here, who is going to evaluate talent for the 3-4? Ryan is a hell of a coach, but that is not his job.
-Quinn has less starting experience than Sanchez, Stafford and maybe Freeman. Something is wrong with that statement. If Mangini had his way Anderson would have played all freaking year.
-I know during the middle of the season the pro Mangini guys said it wasnt about wins/losses, but now it is all about the wins.
-There isnt one single area of the team he made better. You can cry all you want about the lack of talent on the team(which was his job), but he didnt make one area better. Unless you want to talk about when he put the player he hated most(Quinn) in the lineup and they started to actually score.
-This guy sucks, name one of his guys that has went on to be coach of any importance? If he was worth two craps he would at least have one guy that went on to do something for another team.
-Congrats on finding a good player in the first round, while it is rare in Cleveland other teams do it on the regular. Jets backups..........

This move makes me sick and the Brown's fans cheering this sh!t on makes me want to puke.

Tyler44
01-07-2010, 04:25 PM
hey man we r in the playoffs. Why doesnt he just give quinn the starting job instead of switching every other week like a fool? Is brady Quinn really that bad?

he plays really well at times then does bad. But this was essentially his rookie season of starting and the oline just recently picked up. He had to scramble the second he got into his 3 step drop.

jcbrowns
01-07-2010, 04:27 PM
[makes me want to puke.[/QUOTE]

You dry heaving yet?

chlaxman
01-07-2010, 04:28 PM
He deserves another year with how the team played down the stretch, although I would not have been surprised had Holmgren wanted to start totally over.