PDA

View Full Version : Training Day Nutrition - Am I On The Right Page?

kevcrowe
01-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Stats: 6'1" - 238lbs
Info: weak and inexperienced at the gym - very picky eater
Goal: drop to 190-200lbs and gain some muscle mass and tone

Read a lot of articles and lots of posts, hoping I've absorbed enough to put together a training day nutrition plan that will get me started. The food choices are based on foods I like. I know I need to branch out and try new foods to give me more options. I'll get there. Small victories first.

Breakfast (06:00-06:30)
Kroger whole wheat oatmeal cooked with 1% milk
ON Gold Standard whey protein shake mixed with water
3 slices Butterball low fat turkey bacon
445 cal, 44g protein, 42g carb, 11g fat, 13g sugars, 585mg sodium

Morning Snack (09:00-09:30)
120 cal, 24g protein, 3g carb, 1g fat

Lunch (11:30-12:30)
Kroger grilled chicken breast
Mahatma brown rice with Kroger 2% shredded cheese
Kroger lowfat saltine crackers
500 cal, 53g protein, 42g carb, 13g fat, 0g sugars, 660mg sodium

Afternoon Snack (14:30-15:30)
BioNutrition Research Group Power Crunch protein bar
205 cal, 15g protein, 10g carb, 12g fat, 5g sugars, 75mg sodium

Pre-Workout (16:30-17:00)
120 cal, 24g protein, 3g carb, 1g fat

Post-Workout (19:30-20:00)
ON Gold Standard whey protein shake mixed with orange gatorade
242 cal, 24g protein, 33g carb, 1g fat, 31g sugars, 85mg sodium

Dinner (21:00-21:30)
2 pieces Kroger grilled talapia
2-3 servings Kroger no salt added cut green beans
Kroger lowfat saltine crackers
290 cal, 49g protein, 18g carb, 3g fat, 4g sugars, 490mg sodium

Bedtime Shake (Midnight)
ON Gold Standard casein protein shake mixed with water
110 cal, 24g protein, 3g carb, 1g fat

Daily Totals:
2022 cal, 257g protein, 154g carb, 41g fat, 54g sugars, 2415mg sodium

Rip it apart. Am I thinking right?

SanDantos
01-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Those are def. the right kinds of foods. Your sodium is a little high (if you care about that) and protein is a bit too, but that's not too big of a problem. Some will argue the excess protein isn't getting used and going to waste. More importantly, your calories are in check.

Keep eating stuff like that though and remember you basically can never eat too much vegetables (assuming they aren't processed and coated with garbage/additives).

5 Shakes a day is alot, if I were you, I'd axe the morning one or maybe just mix some whey in your oatmeal. Or maybe swap out the protein bar for whey (a bit cheaper and better for u).

Your definitely on the right track though. Glad to see you're making postitive ahd healthier changes in your life. Keep it up and by summer you should hit 200lbs no problem.

RealMenDeadLift
01-07-2010, 02:15 PM
2.5g of sodium isn't high at all for someone weight training

IrishPilot
01-07-2010, 03:08 PM
...and in my opinion, you cant have too much protein. When it comes to meeting your cals, if it aint protein then its either carbs or fats. Assuming you are getting a healthy amount of good fats and suitable carbs, I always prefer to be heavy on protein...its like gold for what we do!

And as far as your size goes, you may want to start with your calories higher. Thats a big deficit for a guy your size if you are fairly active. Unless Im long into a cut, I can lose weight at those cals and Im almost 80lbs lighter. Trust me (Ive learned the hard way!), start your calories higher and work your way down if necessary. If you go for broke right off the bat, it will end up working against you.

Innithepoo
01-07-2010, 03:33 PM
i would keep the protein shakes at breakfast, pre-workout, post-workout, and before bed.

you want protein first thing in the morning because your body has been deprived for 8+ hours. You need to replenish your body as soon as you wake up in the morning

RealMenDeadLift
01-07-2010, 04:15 PM
i would keep the protein shakes at breakfast, pre-workout, post-workout, and before bed.

you want protein first thing in the morning because your body has been deprived for 8+ hours. You need to replenish your body as soon as you wake up in the morning

Not really, as long as you ate enough the day before you don't need protein immediately