PDA

View Full Version : worst pro team vs. best collegiate team

bamf77
01-06-2010, 10:35 PM
who would win if you pitted the worst pro team against the best collegiate team?
basketball, football and maybe baseball?

NJ Nets (3-30) vs. Kanas (top ranked by espn)

Rams (1-15) vs. Alabama or Texas (whoever wins tomorrow)

what do you guys think?

dalynchmob
01-06-2010, 10:37 PM
who would win if you pitted the worst pro team against the best collegiate team?

New York Knicks (3-30) vs. Kanas (top ranked by espn)

what do you guys think?

....and that's why you're red

pro11skj
01-06-2010, 10:37 PM
basketball too much strength and speed.
football same exact thing.

Mafiafolife77
01-06-2010, 10:38 PM
SJax would tax that ass

BeanieWells
01-06-2010, 10:38 PM
anybody who thinks teh college team would win is delusional

Dyncommon
01-06-2010, 10:39 PM
It wouldn't even be close. No college team can compete with pros.

_Translucency
01-06-2010, 10:42 PM
I have never understood why there is even a debate with this.

bamf77
01-06-2010, 10:43 PM
....and that's why you're red

thanks brah, really thought provoking post

weakguy
01-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Tha ****?

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/writers/bucky_brooks/08/01/scouts.buzz/t2.jackson.icon.jpg

Liff_Wates
01-06-2010, 10:45 PM
strong morons in this thread. the St. Louis Rams would destroy the Knicks

Fastforward7
01-06-2010, 10:47 PM
1. You're an idiot
2. This question has been covered plenty of times by other idiots
3. Who the hell is "Kanas"?

NoS_oUtLaSt

lol at red trying to get serious. Pros would own the college joes

iliveinjersey

edit ur post jackass the nets not knicks

oldmantime
01-06-2010, 10:48 PM
knicks would beat the swallowcocks by 100.

bamf77
01-06-2010, 10:48 PM
lol at red trying to get serious. Pros would own the college joes

im honestly in the red only because one guy with big rep points decided to put me there, i didnt do anything red worthy

theACEofSPADES
01-06-2010, 10:57 PM
God

This question gets asked way too many times

Greg1983
01-06-2010, 11:00 PM
im honestly in the red only because one guy with big rep points decided to put me there, i didnt do anything red worthy

Until this thread...

Devian
01-06-2010, 11:02 PM
This thread is so stupid I'm not even going to post in it.

dblb48
01-06-2010, 11:03 PM
think of it this way, even the worst NFL team is made up off absolute stud college players, the best college team will have what? 2,3,4 pro ready players? hell even if they had 12, thats still 1/5 of what the pro team will have.

n1e
01-06-2010, 11:05 PM
the 0-16 Lions team would wax that ass on any college football team

HOWEVER i will say that if any college team had even the slightest chance of winning against a ****ty pro team i would nominate the 2001 Miami Hurricanes, it's all about the U baby! that team was stacked with NFL talent from head to bottom

oldmantime
01-06-2010, 11:05 PM
the only sport this could EVER happen in is baseball in my opinion.

thacalikid911
01-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Steven Jacksons, Mark Bulger, and High School Seniors would be enough to beat the college team.

dalynchmob
01-06-2010, 11:07 PM
the 0-16 Lions team would wax that ass on any college football team

HOWEVER i will say that if any college team had even the slightest chance of winning against a ****ty pro team i would nominate the 2001 Miami Hurricanes, it's all about the U baby! that team was stacked with NFL talent from head to bottom

That team was loaded, but they couldn't even go undefeated playing college teams.

123eddie
01-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Steven Jacksons, Mark Bulger, and High School Seniors would be enough to beat the college team.

lol at the thought of ingram vs a random high school defense

eldolor
01-06-2010, 11:11 PM

New York Knicks (3-30) vs. Kanas (top ranked by espn)

what do you guys think?

The pro teams easy.

The worst pro teams are just bad against the best in the world.

The best college teams are just best against thousands that will never even come close to being pro.

CCAurora
01-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Basketball could actually be competitive in this scenario since so many NBA players in their 3rd year are younger than many college starters.

If anyone thinks that a 20 year old can't out-muscle someone older than them, go watch Ovechkin destroying Chris Chelios from a while back, or watch any rookie in any league that came in and dominated immediately.

eldolor
01-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Basketball could actually be competitive in this scenario since so many NBA players in their 3rd year are younger than many college starters.

If anyone thinks that a 20 year old can't out-muscle someone older than them, go watch Ovechkin destroying Chris Chelios from a while back, or watch any rookie in any league that came in and dominated immediately.

the ****?

And yes, there are some college basketball players that can out muscle a 3rd year NBA player. But that is going to be rare. But what is going to be even more rare is having 2 on the same team that can, and then having more than 2 on their team that is as good as a bench player on the pro team.

=T Bone=
01-06-2010, 11:30 PM
This years Rams would demolish the 01 Miami team

NYY
01-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Why is the is thread always made this time of year?

Honestly, the answer should be obvious. Also, the Knicks are not 3-30, the Nets are, genius.

Fastforward7
01-07-2010, 12:04 AM
I love how you edited for the Nets and left Kanas. Spellcheck dude, spellcheck...

Liff_Wates
01-07-2010, 12:08 AM

what college team did ovechkin play for?

krocknw
01-07-2010, 12:58 AM
even the lions team of last year would shyt all over the gators/usc of last year..

TexasHeat
01-07-2010, 12:59 AM
OP is red and a major moron but im sure this has already been said 30 times

qualityclrk1
01-07-2010, 01:03 AM
Kansas nearly got beat at home by Cornell tonight....

no college team is going to compete with a major professional team in anything...the Rice Owls or LSU Tigers or Texas Longhorns or WHOEVER THE BEST TEAM IN COLLEGE BASEBALL IS -are not going to beat the Washington Nationals or Toronta Blue Jays or Oakland Athletics..sorry

krocknw
01-07-2010, 01:07 AM
This years Rams would demolish the 01 Miami team

helllllll no..

b3rtstare
01-07-2010, 01:08 AM
Kansas nearly got beat at home by Cornell tonight....

no college team is going to compete with a major professional team in anything...the Rice Owls or LSU Tigers or Texas Longhorns or WHOEVER THE BEST TEAM IN COLLEGE BASEBALL IS -are not going to beat the Washington Nationals or Toronta Blue Jays or Oakland Athletics..sorry

Exactly, last time I checked, the NYY took a liquid s**t in VT's mouth when they played each other I baseball a few years back.

qualityclrk1
01-07-2010, 01:28 AM
helllllll no..

can anyone inform me where ken dorsey is?

GrizzlyMan27
01-07-2010, 01:44 AM
you are stuuuuuuupid re, tarrrd

eldolor
01-07-2010, 01:57 AM
To put an end to it, think like someone else posted.

The worst team in the pros are full of people that were good enough to be drafted into the league, meaning they were in the top 75 of their years of college.

Most college teams have a very select few that make it into the pros, much less last past their rookie signing.

F.A.M.E.
01-07-2010, 03:44 AM
I know most of yall are bashin' the theory that a college team can't win, but aight, what about this matchup.. Michigan's Fab 5 (In Their Primes) vs. current NJN?

Hardcore_D00d
01-07-2010, 04:30 AM
Top college vs sucky pro would be no match pro would destroy. what would be interesting matchup is best college player of every position vs suckiest pro player of every position.

FKAri
01-07-2010, 04:36 AM
I know most of yall are bashin' the theory that a college team can't win, but aight, what about this matchup.. Michigan's Fab 5 (In Their Primes) vs. current NJN?

This. That team would beat the Nets. The Nets are one of the worst teams in recent memory. Even tho Devin Harris is back now; when he was out the team would be in competitive matches with the current top college teams.

Messiahtype
01-07-2010, 05:09 AM
The worst players on a pro team were top level college players.
The worst players on a college team will be selling insurance after school.

Figure it out. Dumb thread.

johnnyD7
01-07-2010, 06:59 AM
While I understand what you guys are saying, and I agree that usually the pro team will wipe the floor with the college team, the college team has won before...1980 US olympic hockey team. A soviet team made up of pro's that destroyed NHL teams and NHL allstar teams got beat by a bunch of college kids. This is made even more impressive by the fact that hockey is one sport where depth is probably most important, and it it is also physical. (if you have a stud QB and RB in football, the backups talent usually won't matter. If you have one stud line in hockey, but the other 2 or 3 suck, you will lose to a more balanced team usually).

IraHays
01-07-2010, 07:38 AM
Not a chance in football.

They may have a chance in basketball if the superstar college kids every played for all 4 years.

CCAurora
01-07-2010, 07:43 AM
the ****?

And yes, there are some college basketball players that can out muscle a 3rd year NBA player. But that is going to be rare. But what is going to be even more rare is having 2 on the same team that can, and then having more than 2 on their team that is as good as a bench player on the pro team.

Players go into the NBA at 18. A college senior is 21-22. Do you need more help?

what college team did ovechkin play for?

So a 20 year old pro is older than a 20 year old college player? Strong logic.

lol_ottumwa
01-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Im going to bite....

College teams dont have the shear size or speed to handle themselves against pro athletes who have had years of training, and often more talent then all of the college players. This goes for basketball and football.

Just look at how the best players in college more often than not struggle their first few years in the pro ranks, and those are just the standouts. So depth would be a HUGE problem.

However in the 1950s and prior, the college teams would have, and usually did beat the professional teams. Im not going to spend the time to look up that info for you, you can do that yourself if you're interested.

The best chance a college team could keep up with a pro team would be baseball.

And even then, the College World Series champions would probably go 10-152

Liff_Wates
01-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Players go into the NBA at 18. A college senior is 21-22. Do you need more help?

So a 20 year old pro is older than a 20 year old college player? Strong logic.

Strong reading comprehension. the thread is about college vs. pro, not age. Ovechkin has been playing pro hockey since he was 16. There is a reason why going pro = loss of college eligibility, after 1 year in the pros, collegiate sports would seem like a joke.

This thread sucks anyways, i feel dumb for posting twice

PatrickBateman1
01-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Absolutely retarded to think a college team would stand a chance playing some of the best players in recent college history that have also had years to develop their skills at the highest level.

JRRBadBoy4Life
01-07-2010, 11:29 AM
anybody who thinks teh college team would win is delusional

I love how so many people say this. There's only one way to find out, so we will never know.

Greg1983
01-07-2010, 11:52 AM
I love how so many people say this. There's only one way to find out, so we will never know.

And there's only one way to find out if I could beat Federer in a tennis match. I guess we'll never know who's a better player...

JRRBadBoy4Life
01-07-2010, 12:00 PM
And there's only one way to find out if I could beat Federer in a tennis match. I guess we'll never know who's a better player...

I'm sure the best 18 year old tennis player in the world could compete against Federer, and beat him. Maybe not the first time but he would definately beat him.

thegenerel
01-07-2010, 12:07 PM
53 guys who were the best on their respective teams vs maybe 15 guys that will spend some time playing professionally.

krocknw
01-07-2010, 12:08 PM
can anyone inform me where ken dorsey is?

no but i do know where ed reed,frank gore, willis mcghee,clinton portis,andre johnson,and jeremey shockey are...

just sayin.

I dont think the rams of today or the lions of last year would blowout the 01 hurricanes by any means. I think it would actually be a close game(esp since about 90% of the starters on that team play in the league right now)

dchou
01-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Pros are pros for a reason.

n1e
01-07-2010, 12:33 PM
i dunnno brahs 01 canes looking pretty beast minus a few areas

QB - Ken Dorsey
HB- Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee, Frank Gore
FB- Najeh Davenport
WR- Andre Johnson, Kellen Winslow (he was a WR turned TE), Kevin Beard
TE- Jeremy Shockey
LT- Bryant Mckinnie

Defense
Linebackers - DJ Williams, Jonathon Vilma
FS - Sean Taylor
SS - Ed Reed
CB- Philip Buchanon and Antrel Rolle

lulz they'd have a pretty good NFL team if you were to compile the U alums currently playing in the NFL

QB - doesn't matter
RB - Frank Gore, Clinton Portis, Willis Mcgahee
WR- Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Santana Moss, Roscoe Parrish, Devin Hester
TE- Kellen Winslow, Greg Olsen, Jeremy Shockey
LT- Bryant Mckinee

DE- Baraka Atkins
DE- Calais Campbell
NT- Vince Wilfork

OLB- DJ Williams
MLB- Ray Lewis
MLB- Jon Beason
OLB- Jonathon Vilma (yes i know he doesn't play OLB but i put him there neways)

FS- Ed Reed
SS- Brandon Meriweather/Kenny Phillips

KR/PR - Devin Hester

bustermac
01-07-2010, 12:34 PM

NJ Nets (3-30) vs. Kanas (top ranked by espn)

what do you guys think?

An NCAA upset is FAR more likely in basketball than football.

Many high schools have NBA-caliber players and college teams will be made up of many with the skills but are just taking the college route to the NBA.

In football, the training, size, speed differences between NFL and NCAA teams is a huge margin. Even the worst NFL team (Rams/Browns) would never lose to a college team. Most NFL rookies are shocked and not ready for the speed of the NFL game. Some adjust and succeed, many don't.

There's a reason you see HS kids going straight to the pros and it never happens in football.

Also, NFL playbooks and schemes are far more complex than most college playbooks because the kids can't spend 24/7 studying football, they need to dedicate time to classes too. Basketball is more of a one-on-one game when it comes to defense.

SwagMorris
01-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Last seasons UNC b-ball team could maybe win a game against this year Nets, but no college team this year could touch the Nets. Down year in college b-ball

bustermac
01-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Last seasons UNC b-ball team could maybe win a game against this year Nets, but no college team this year could touch the Nets. Down year in college b-ball

Lawson is playing well but a backup, Hansbrough is very inconsistent and Ellington is barely contributing for the T-Wolves!

They were the best players in college, but not much in the NBA yet.

If everything went perfectly, they'd have a shot but it's not likely they could win a series or maybe even a game.

The 2001 Canes were amazing and would have the best shot, but they'd get beaten every time by plays and defensive looks they've never seen even if they had the talent to match up.

SpiderSense
01-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Let me make this easy:

How much physically and mentally stronger are you right now compared to when you were 18, 19, 20, 21?

/thread

brighamw
01-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Worst pro team would beat best college team 99.5/100...

They might tie once if the pro's got bored, lol :)

n1e
01-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Let me make this easy:

How much stronger are you right now compared to when you were 18, 19, 20, 21?

/thread

not always about strength brah, i was faster and more agile when I was younger so.....

bustermac
01-07-2010, 12:48 PM

Or facing Jay Cutler, the interception machine. :D

bustermac
01-07-2010, 12:48 PM
not always about strength brah, i was faster and more agile when I was younger so.....

No one in the NFL is 5'5".

n1e
01-07-2010, 12:52 PM
No one in the NFL is 5'5".

oh hai there bustermac my name is darren sproles you may have heard of me
http://rootzoo.com/article_photo_uploads/dakota41_14604_8193.jpg

oh and heres my friend Pocket hercules
http://www.usaplayers.com/images/news/jones-drew_wk16r11.jpg

NUHusky
01-07-2010, 01:01 PM
The only sport it can really happen in is baseball. I used to play for Northeastern and the closest we got to the Red Sox was a 9-2 loss.

However, check this out...

http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/030105aac.html

Miami might have been using aluminum bats, which could taint this. We always used wood against the Sox.

EDIT: Would also like to add that college teams are practicing and workingout all winter, and when they play pro teams, it's the first game of pro spring training. So they are real rusty.

SpiderSense
01-07-2010, 01:01 PM

You get hit in the mouth enough by pro level linebackers and safeties, you'll start slowing down.

And besides they're pretty much just as fast and agile as you were as a kid, only bigger, stronger, tougher and more aggressive.

SwagMorris
01-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Lawson is playing well but a backup, Hansbrough is very inconsistent and Ellington is barely contributing for the T-Wolves!

They were the best players in college, but not much in the NBA yet.

If everything went perfectly, they'd have a shot but it's not likely they could win a series or maybe even a game.

The 2001 Canes were amazing and would have the best shot, but they'd get beaten every time by plays and defensive looks they've never seen even if they had the talent to match up.

The way a team gels together also plays a part. That UNC team had basically been playing together for 3 years. I'm not saying they would have won,but saying they would definitely have a better chance than any other college team in recent memory, except for maybe UF from a few seasons ago.

n1e
01-07-2010, 01:06 PM
You get hit in the mouth enough by pro level linebackers and safeties, you'll start slowing down.

And besides they're pretty much just as fast and agile as you were as a kid, only bigger, stronger, tougher and more aggressive.

not comparing myself to an NFL player brah that's ludicrous

comparing an NFL player to a college football player

erftbll81
01-07-2010, 02:08 PM
nfl = usually 11 college all stars on each side of the ball
college team = a few college all stars at best

/thread

Miked1978
01-07-2010, 02:20 PM
nfl = usually 11 college all stars on each side of the ball
college team = a few college all stars at best

/thread

Maybe a stacked baseball team could win 1 out of 7 games.

Football no way possible. Basketball too.

LOWTESTOSTERONE
01-08-2010, 02:09 PM

College team could never beat the worst NFL team. Never.

bustermac
01-08-2010, 02:10 PM
oh hai there bustermac my name is darren sproles you may have heard of me
http://rootzoo.com/article_photo_uploads/dakota41_14604_8193.jpg

oh and heres my friend Pocket hercules
http://www.usaplayers.com/images/news/jones-drew_wk16r11.jpg

Neither is 5'5".

bustermac
01-08-2010, 02:11 PM
The way a team gels together also plays a part. That UNC team had basically been playing together for 3 years. I'm not saying they would have won,but saying they would definitely have a better chance than any other college team in recent memory, except for maybe UF from a few seasons ago.

Definitely.

One of the early 90s UNLV teams also. (Larry Johnson/Stacey Augmon)

LOWTESTOSTERONE
01-08-2010, 02:58 PM
NFL teams play faster- smarter and more physical than a college all star team ever would.