PDA

View Full Version : Brady wins Comeback Player of the Year

fufufufufu
01-06-2010, 06:00 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AhHZjCaibv6pfUaegbtXPrZDubYF?slug=ap-comebackplayer&prov=ap&type=lgns

WTF?

Brady?

user8489791000
01-06-2010, 06:01 PM
who eles could have gotten it?

aci150
01-06-2010, 06:02 PM
the fact that cadillac can even walk is a miracle in itself. brady dont deserve it

The_Source
01-06-2010, 06:02 PM
who eles could have gotten it?

If the Titans made the playoffs, VY should've def. won it

Ayla.7
01-06-2010, 06:06 PM
What's 'AP'?

jdo1
01-06-2010, 06:07 PM
What's 'AP'?

Associated Press?

yoplay
01-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Coulda been Philip Rivers. Horrible way to start off the season but ended it with a STREAK.
Coulda been someone from the Titans, VY? CJ?
anyone else?

Shangius
01-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Uh.... how did Benson not win?

The_Source
01-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Coulda been Philip Rivers. Horrible way to start off the season but ended it with a STREAK.
anyone else?

I don't think you understand the concept of the comeback POY award

GPx
01-06-2010, 06:13 PM
I don't think you understand the concept of the comeback POY award

lol this.

quietstormx1
01-06-2010, 06:15 PM

this.

TheFranchise55
01-06-2010, 06:22 PM
it's comeback player of the year. This was his breakout season so he had nothing to comeback from.

brighamw
01-06-2010, 06:22 PM
That awards going to look great next to another SB MVP award this year ;)

chargerfn909
01-06-2010, 06:26 PM
They can give the award to him all they want, we all know it belongs to Cedric Benson.

beer n brats
01-06-2010, 06:37 PM
benson all the way. brady won it because he's brady.

stevedarsh
01-06-2010, 06:39 PM
They can give the award to him all they want, we all know it belongs to Cedric Benson.

apparently you don't understand the concept of "comeback"

jacketfan
01-06-2010, 06:41 PM
it was more of a "breakout" year than comeback year for benson.

how can you have a comeback when none of your preceding seasons were any good?

PatrickBateman1
01-06-2010, 06:42 PM
anyone else?

Rivers led the league in passer rating last year...... I don't think you understand what the award means.

Shangius
01-06-2010, 07:03 PM

Probably because he assumed a bust and everyone had forgotten about him.

n1e
01-06-2010, 07:06 PM
apparently you don't understand the concept of "comeback"

this

Benson = Breakout year
Brady = Comeback year

brighamw
01-06-2010, 07:12 PM
this

Benson = Breakout year
Brady = Comeback year

We have a winner :)

TAWS6
01-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Lol I like reading all the comments from jealous haters at the bottom of the page. They just wish their team had half the success the patriots have had lol. 28 tds coming off a knee injury.

I said goood dayumm

MenTaLPiRacY
01-06-2010, 07:51 PM
He got hurt the 1st game of the season last year so he really didnt do bad enough last year to be comeback player of the year.. The NFL sucks his kawk on a regular basis, why do you think they have the new roughing the quarterback rules? cuz the NFL lost one of their best ratings draws in Tom Brady and the patriots so they dont want the quarterbacks to get hurt. I cant think of anyone who did terrible last year and came back and absolutely destroyed it.. maybe only Vince Young since he turned a whole team around.

CCAurora
01-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Tom Brady was - by far - the most deserving player for this award.

I hate when the Comeback Player Award goes to someone who did nothing but suck for years and then flip it on, as opposed to a player who is seriously injured and overcomes it to return to top-tier form. Cedric Benson did nothing but not live up to his hype for years, while Brady had a catastrophic knee injury and a botched surgery, and still led his team to the playoffs the next season.

ohaiofecer
01-06-2010, 07:58 PM
vince young should of got it

TAWS6
01-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Tom Brady was - by far - the most deserving player for this award.

I hate when the Comeback Player Award goes to someone who did nothing but suck for years and then flip it on, as opposed to a player who is seriously injured and overcomes it to return to top-tier form. Cedric Benson did nothing but not live up to his hype for years, while Brady had a catastrophic knee injury and a botched surgery, and still led his team to the playoffs the next season.

this^^^^^^

but in for more whining

GetBigyo
01-06-2010, 08:18 PM
ITT people dont understand what the CB player award means

Brady well deserved.

Benson deserved the:

"I fckin blew cock for the last few years and now im actually good" award

G-mane12
01-06-2010, 08:20 PM
My top 2 picks would have been Brady or Benson. I'm sure if Benson didn't get hurt and miss a couple games he would have won it easily.

G-mane12
01-06-2010, 08:22 PM
ITT people dont understand what the CB player award means

Brady well deserved.

Benson deserved the:

"I fckin blew cock for the last few years and now im actually good" award

lol do you remember when Tommy Maddox won it? you remember him?

I think you're the one that doesn't understand what the award means lol.

hublife
01-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Cadillac Williams would have been my first choice. Also would have put Cedric Benson, Alex Smith and Vince Young in there.

I don't think Tom Brady should have got it. But we all know the media has his balls on there chin at all times.

evilsteve02
01-06-2010, 08:24 PM
to me this is a weird pick...usually the award goes to someone who was good, then terrible for a year or 2, hit rock bottom then comes out with a monster season...i mean Brady was hurt...that's it...might as well have given it to McNabb...

GetBigyo
01-06-2010, 08:26 PM

"The NFL Comeback Player of the Year Award has been given out after every season since 1972 (except for 1985) by Pro Football Weekly. The player named Comeback Player of the Year shows perseverance in overcoming adversity, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, a severe injury, or simply poor performance. Beginning in 1992 the Pro Football Writers of America and Pro Football Weekly combined for their awards, including the comeback player of the year, and it continues to this day."

Well we are both right.

but coming back from that bad of knee surgery and puttnig up pretty decent stats is moredeserving

CCAurora
01-06-2010, 08:33 PM

I would say going from the NFL to selling insurance to going back to the NFL is a bigger comeback than some jerk with a criminal record finally doing what he was supposed to. Same for Randall Cunningham. Both men came back from the setback of age, not youth-induced partying and slacking.

However, the award should always be skewed towards players returning from injury. Garrison Hearst should go down as the most deserving recipient of all-time.

hublife
01-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Now that we're all clear on what the award is given for. How do you argue that Brady should have gotten it over Cadillac? Cadillac has had BOTH knees blown out the last two years. They didn't think he would ever even walk again. He comes back in 2009 and plays in ALL 16 games. Dude is going to be Garrison Hearst v2.0

Madanzi
01-06-2010, 08:40 PM
lol favre got votes

i guess that makes sense with him coming out of retirement and all............................................... .......

lol

G-mane12
01-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Now that we're all clear on what the award is given for. How do you argue that Brady should have gotten it over Cadillac? Cadillac has had BOTH knees blown out the last two years. They didn't think he would ever even walk again. He comes back in 2009 and plays in ALL 16 games. Dude is going to be Garrison Hearst v2.0

he plays for the bucs dude

CCAurora
01-06-2010, 08:51 PM

Garrison Hearst came back much stronger than Caddy. As opposed to just showing up for all 16 games, Hearst was a key part of a winning football team.

wynner64
01-07-2010, 01:00 AM
Vince Young spending last season getting benched, booed, and contemplating suicide to leading his team to an 8-2 record as a starter this season is a comeback.

Cadillac leading his team in rushing yards after having multiple surgeries on his knee, and getting injured to the point where just walking 10 feet is an impressive feat...is a comeback.

I understand Brady had a season ending injury, but it wasn't something where people went "he'll never play again!" As for the numbers he put up...well, that's just Brady being Brady. Nothing to really come back from, except for his injury. It's not like people were surprised that he put up those stats. Sure, what he did was impressive, and definitely deserves some attention, but the previous players mentioned were more deserving of the award in my opinion. I don't think this award is taken very seriously anyway, and this media nut-hugging is precisely why.

kethnaab
01-07-2010, 01:31 AM
Cadillac Williams would have been my first choice. Also would have put Cedric Benson, Alex Smith and Vince Young in there.

cedric benson, alex smith, and vince young have never done anything though.

Caddy didn't get it, but he also had 800 yards rushing, 4 TDs, and played on a team that was 3-13.

I don't like Brady, but I don't see how anyone else even comes close.

Vince Young spending last season getting benched, booed, and contemplating suicide to leading his team to an 8-2 record as a starter this season is a comeback.

Cadillac leading his team in rushing yards after having multiple surgeries on his knee, and getting injured to the point where just walking 10 feet is an impressive feat...is a comeback.

I understand Brady had a season ending injury, but it wasn't something where people went "he'll never play again!" As for the numbers he put up...well, that's just Brady being Brady. Nothing to really come back from, except for his injury. It's not like people were surprised that he put up those stats. Sure, what he did was impressive, and definitely deserves some attention, but the previous players mentioned were more deserving of the award in my opinion. I don't think this award is taken very seriously anyway, and this media nut-hugging is precisely why.

i agree with most of your points, but if you get down to it, Brady missed an entire season, then came back, posted an excellent QB season, and led his team to the playoffs

if Young hadn't been so abysmal the last several games, and perhaps if Flash hadn't set records, folks would've been more receptive to Young winning it, but really, Young was not good, aside from, what, 2 games?

JMath
01-07-2010, 04:14 AM
lol at all the Brady haters. Brady missed the entire year. His team missed the playoffs and when he came back this year he lead his team to the playoffs. I know that the team finished with a fine record last year, but still. Brady was the most deserving of it...

Cedric Benson- Would have deserved it if he didn't end last season as good as he did.
Chris Johnson- Come on, really? Everyone knew he'd have a good year.
Vince Young- Probably one of the better candidates besides Brady,going from the whole depression, suicide, blah blah and whatever crazy stuff came up to do what he did is actually deserving of the award.

Clives_Bicep
01-07-2010, 05:24 AM

this, VY got my vote.

TheDude1987
01-07-2010, 05:39 AM
lol at all the Brady haters. Brady missed the entire year. His team missed the playoffs and when he came back this year he lead his team to the playoffs. I know that the team finished with a fine record last year, but still. Brady was the most deserving of it...

Cedric Benson- Would have deserved it if he didn't end last season as good as he did.
Chris Johnson- Come on, really? Everyone knew he'd have a good year.
Vince Young- Probably one of the better candidates besides Brady,going from the whole depression, suicide, blah blah and whatever crazy stuff came up to do what he did is actually deserving of the award.

Didn't Brady lead them to the same record? C'mon...

It just doesn't seem right giving it to Brady. Was his return ever in question? Did anyone really think he wasn't going to come back and still be pretty good?

Cadillac deserves it in my opinion. With how quickly RB's bodies typically break down, for him to come back from such horrific injuries and play well is far more impressive to me. And don't forget he had to compete for and win his job. Brady's was waiting for him the entire time.

Not to mention that a RB coming back from knee injuries is about 1000x more impressive than a QB.

kethnaab
01-07-2010, 06:08 AM
this, VY got my vote.

he was useful in 3 games. The other games, he simply spun around and gave the ball to Chris Johnson.

He also finished the season with 0 TDs, 3 picks, and 260 yards in the last 2 games. The Titans were 13-3 last season without him. He wasn't responsible for the Titans turning ANYTHING around, he just had good timing.

Mark004
01-07-2010, 07:21 AM
he was useful in 3 games. The other games, he simply spun around and gave the ball to Chris Johnson.

He also finished the season with 0 TDs, 3 picks, and 260 yards in the last 2 games. The Titans were 13-3 last season without him. He wasn't responsible for the Titans turning ANYTHING around, he just had good timing.

Vernon Davis might get a vote from me

kethnaab
01-07-2010, 07:29 AM
he's not a comeback player, he's a "never was who now, suddenly, is"

that's a breakout player, not comeback player

CCAurora
01-07-2010, 07:40 AM
What people here don't seem to realize is that Brady's injury was no less severe than any number of players with a blown out knee. You just all assumed he'd come back and be great because he is great.

Besides, people don't seem to remember how he waited a long time to get the surgery from his family doctor, who didn't do a perfect job.

jkeithc82
01-07-2010, 07:56 AM

This exactly. Benson didn't have anything to "comeback" from. Brady "came back" from a season ending (and potentially career ending) injury. And although Vince Young came in after the bye week and turned the Titans around, he didn't really "come back" from anything either. He got benched, and sat behind Collins for a year. This season after the bye, the Titans made a change and Vince was off and running. We don't give someone this award because they sucked and now they've improved. The NBA gives the "Most Improved Player" award and I think this would be better fitting for Benson or VY.