PDA

View Full Version : Angels, Jays reportedly in lead to sign Aroldis Chapman

KingCanuck
01-06-2010, 11:09 AM
One intriguing free agent remains on the market, and his destination may be known soon.

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported Tuesday that 21-year-old Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman may sign "within the next three or four days." The newspaper reported the Los Angeles Angels and Toronto Blue Jays are the favorites to land him, and that each has offered him about $21 million.

Chapman reportedly has also received offers from the Florida Marlins ($13 million) and the Boston Red Sox ($15 million).

Teams have been eager to scout Chapman ever since he defected from Cuba. He was impressive in a recent workout for scouts in Houston; he reached the mid-90s with his fastball.

TexasHeat
01-06-2010, 11:24 AM
WOW Hope Jays get him... anyone but the ANGELS!

NDame616
01-06-2010, 11:29 AM
why the hell would he want to go to a last place team.......?

Azzurri
01-06-2010, 11:30 AM
why the hell would he want to go to a last place team.......?

We are not last, second to last bitch ;)

Grind4Mine
01-06-2010, 11:34 AM
actually to be honest if the Jays could land him and he could make any kind of difference at all I could see them beating out the aging Red Sox minus their best hitter they lost in the offseason (Jason Bay, replaced with Mike Cameron lol.wut) for 3-4th place in the division.

Orioles are young and on the rise well, and Rays are second best IMO to the Yankees and will take the wildcard this year.

NDame616
01-06-2010, 11:35 AM
We are not last, second to last bitch ;)

well, you WERE in 2nd to last last year....this year........I dunno

dogyo
01-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Off-topic...QueenKanuck, long story-short, I bought a Bluejays flat bill last night. Lol.

I needed a black hat, too many teams have navy blue, so I bought a jays and marlins hat.

I thought about you babe. No homo.

VernonWellsFargo
01-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Angels will get him, why would he rather go to the bluejays when he go to a winner that already has a cuban defector who can show him around etc....

dogyo
01-06-2010, 12:24 PM
actually to be honest if the Jays could land him and he could make any kind of difference at all I could see them beating out the aging Red Sox minus their best hitter they lost in the offseason (Jason Bay, replaced with Mike Cameron lol.wut) for 3-4th place in the division.

Orioles are young and on the rise well, and Rays are second best IMO to the Yankees and will take the wildcard this year.

This.

user8489791000
01-06-2010, 12:25 PM

lol no.

richard02
01-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Angels will get him, why would he rather go to the bluejays when he go to a winner that already has a cuban defector who can show him around etc....

helps too that they have the same agent.

qbanboy14
01-06-2010, 12:51 PM
jays won't land him... he is a childhood friend of kendry morales so is either the angles of the marlins becasue of the big Cuban population...

sorry jays won't get him, he won't play in toronto.

MA5Bergey
01-06-2010, 01:25 PM
jays won't land him... he is a childhood friend of kendry morales so is either the angles of the marlins becasue of the big Cuban population...

Angels would probably be a better fit for him anyway... I'm sure a guy from Cuba would rather move to California than to Toronto. But the last place I want him to go is to the Angels.

Azzurri
01-06-2010, 02:57 PM

Maybe, but it's still Sox Yankees otherwise.

Grind4Mine
01-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Maybe, but it's still Sox Yankees otherwise.

I gotta disagree with the sox, until JD Drew and big papi are no longer everyday players (after this season, replaced through FA's next offseason) I don't think the Sox will contend.

F.A.M.E.
01-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Hope he takes the 15 mill to play in Baston.

KingCanuck
01-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Off-topic...QueenKanuck, long story-short, I bought a Bluejays flat bill last night. Lol.

I needed a black hat, too many teams have navy blue, so I bought a jays and marlins hat.

I thought about you babe. No homo.

There are some sick blue jays hats out there

Angels would probably be a better fit for him anyway... I'm sure a guy from Cuba would rather move to California than to Toronto. But the last place I want him to go is to the Angels.

^^^^These three dudes dont know what they are talking to.

If he goes to Toronto he saves a few million due to some special tax clause.:

Aroldis Chapman and the taxman

Monday, December 28, 2009 | Print Entry

Posted by Jorge Arangure Jr.

With less than a week remaining in 2009, it seems unlikely that Cuban free agent pitcher Aroldis Chapman will agree to a deal with a team and be able to receive his bonus prior to the end of the year, which would have unfortunate tax implications for the phenom.

By signing in 2010, Chapman's bonus will now be eligible to be taxed by the U.S. government.

"Signing bonuses that are received outside the U.S., by a non-U.S. resident, and in a tax year in which the person did not work in the U.S., are not subject to U.S. taxation," wrote agent Joe Kehoskie, who has represented Cuban players for several years, in an email. "As far as I'm aware, neither the Hendricks brothers nor Rodney Fernandez (who represent Chapman) have ever completed a contract for a foreign free agent, so I bet this issue flew right under their radar. Right now, it's shaping up as a $3 million (or more) loss for Chapman.

"For most players, the net effect is that they pay 20% or 25% in taxes at home instead of 35% or 40% in total state and federal taxes in the U.S.," Kehoskie added. "Thus, it can be a nice savings, but it's not a windfall for the average player from Latin America. For Chapman, however, his residency in tax-free Andorra could have resulted in several million dollars in tax savings -- savings that, with 2010 only days away, now seem all but lost."

Shrewd representatives of teenage July 2 prospects from Latin American usually don't have their players participate in any games in the United States in the same year they sign for the specific reason of avoiding paying taxes on their bonus. For example, Michael Ynoa, who received a record $4.25 million bonus from the Oakland A's in 2008 did not participate in a professional game in the U.S. until 2009. Miguel Angel Sano, who received a $3.15 million bonus this year from the Minnesota Twins, won't make his debut until next year.

KingCanuck
01-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Not to mention it is much easier for his family members to travel back and forth from Cuba to Canada than it is to the States. Do to Canada having a great relationship with the Cuban government.

user8489791000
01-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Not to mention it is much easier for his family members to travel back and forth from Cuba to Canada than it is to the States. Do to Canada having a great relationship with the Cuban government.

Great points but I see him going to the angels.

qbanboy14
01-06-2010, 06:48 PM

he is not allowed to go back to Cuba, because he is consider as a traitor now. Livan Hernandez, Contreras , el Duke Hernandez, Kendry Morales. All the players that play in the MLB that are cuban nationality are not allow to go to Cuba.

you definitely know what you are talking about...

KingCanuck
01-06-2010, 06:50 PM
he is not allow to go back to Cuba, because he is consider as a traitor now. Livan Hernandez, Contreras , el Duke Hernandez, Kendry Morales. All the players that play in the MLB are not allow to go to Cuba.

you definitely know what you are talking about...

Nah, you just can't read.

Where the hell did I say about him going back to Cuba? I said his family traveling back and forth between Cuba and Canada is easier than traveling back and forth from the States and Cuba.

qbanboy14
01-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Nah, you just can't read.

Where the hell did I say about him going back to Cuba? I said his family traveling back and forth between Cuba and Canada is easier than traveling back and forth from the States and Cuba.

how do you think they will travel to canada? because he will send a request to Cuba, asking for them to come visit him in canada. Is the same thing, you are not allow to leave cuba just because you want to leave, someone who lives in Canada (blood family member) has to send a request, once the Cuban government sees who you are, they will reject it.

KingCanuck
01-06-2010, 06:55 PM
how do you think they will travel to canada? because he will send a request to Cuba, asking for them to come visit him in canada. Is the same thing, you are not allow to leave cuba just because you want to leave, someone who lives in Canada (blood family member) has to send a request, once the Cuban government sees who you are, they will reject it.

http://news-libraries.mit.edu/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/money.jpg

qbanboy14
01-06-2010, 06:59 PM
http://news-libraries.mit.edu/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/money.jpg

yeah if he buys a speed boat and send them to pick them up the coast of Cuba.. they will be in USA in 45 minutes. Money will do that, but you won't buy the Cuban government once you are consider a traitor for leaving the Cuban team....