PDA

View Full Version : Potato chips are made of potatoes, sunflower oil, and salt

Insight
01-03-2010, 03:58 PM
At least Lay's are. Not even a preservative in sight!

http://www.fritolay.com/our-snacks/lays-classic-potato-chips.html

Think about this the next time you frown down on potato chips with wary eyes. Don't your prejudiced tendencies make you feel bad? Why, you've been nothing but a racist this whole time, judging a book by its cover.

Shame on you. And also shame on you the next time you eat a baked potato with butter and salt, being mostly the same thing, but with more saturated fat.

(Although sodium is still pretty high... which sucks.)

x-ray vision
01-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Think about this the next time you frown down on potato chips with wary eyes. Don't your prejudiced tendencies make you feel bad?
I don't think most people around here restrict foods such as potato chips because they have preservatives. They do so because they're 60% fat and not nutrient dense like an avocado or useful in cooking like oils. The good about using preservatives outweigh the bad.

http://www.eufic.org/page/en/faqid/preservatives-harmful-eat-regularly/

Insight
01-03-2010, 04:56 PM
I don't think most people around here restrict foods such as potato chips because they have preservatives. They do so because they're 60% fat and not nutrient dense like an avocado or useful in cooking like oils. The good about using preservatives outweigh the bad.

http://www.eufic.org/page/en/faqid/preservatives-harmful-eat-regularly/

OK, then I'd hope people don't eat toast + butter in the morning either, which is another carbs + fat addition to a meal. Just like potato chips are a carbs+fat addition to your subway sandwich or something.

paulpker121
01-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Wow, funny how you posted this. 2 or 3 days ago my Dad came home with a big bag of these and I was surprised that a serving has 9g of unsat. fats and only 1g of sat. fats. I started eating them and am now almost done.

liegelord
01-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Are you seriously making a case for potato chips? Geez, where to start.

I wouldn't eat anything made in a factory. Listen to Jack LaLanne:

"If man made it, don't eat it."

x-ray vision
01-03-2010, 05:09 PM
OK, then I'd hope people don't eat toast + butter in the morning either, which is another carbs + fat addition to a meal. Just like potato chips are a carbs+fat addition to your subway sandwich or something.
What's with the defensive tone? I explained that your main idea, which is that people avoid potato chips because of the preservatives, is not correct IME. They do so because of the high fat content and a lot of folks are saving their fat quota for the day for something more nutritious than potato chips. I'm not seeing the preservatives fear or anyone making a big deal about someone that wants to have one serving with their Subway sandwich.

Lecter612
01-03-2010, 05:21 PM
I avoid potato chips for the same reasons I avoid buttered toast...and buttered potatos.

hooked4life
01-03-2010, 05:24 PM
There is no reason to avoid these kind of chips. If you eat fat and carbs you can eat chips.

getgot211
01-03-2010, 05:41 PM
you do know that potatoes grow in the ground right?

that should tell you that they are in fact dirty.

We Drowned
01-03-2010, 05:49 PM
you do know that potatoes grow in the ground right?

that should tell you that they are in fact dirty.

lol ^

In agreement with x-ray vision that people, like myself, avoid potato chips because the void in nutrition and high fat, rather than additives. Not to say eating potato chips will ruin your life or anything.

Insight
01-03-2010, 07:24 PM

Sure am, sport!

They have factories that make potatoes?

Yes, they do indeed have a factory to chop the potatoes into thin slices and fry them in sunflower oil rather than a team of foreign children in a sweatshop or something. You are presumably worried about industrial factory lubricant getting into the chips?

What's with the defensive tone? I explained that your main idea, which is that people avoid potato chips because of the preservatives, is not correct IME. They do so because of the high fat content and a lot of folks are saving their fat quota for the day for something more nutritious than potato chips. I'm not seeing the preservatives fear or anyone making a big deal about someone that wants to have one serving with their Subway sandwich.

That's not my main idea at all. My main idea is that people avoid potato chips because they think they're supposed to avoid potato chips. Not even necessarily because of the high fat content, but just because they're considered "dirty" "junk" food.

I would imagine that potato chips are about as nutritious as potatoes + sunflower oil, since that's what they are. Perhaps cutting them thin somehow destroys the micronutrients involved. I don't know. Sunflower oil is cited as having numerous health benefits. I haven't read any studies to see how bad it really is.

My point is exactly what I said: potato chips are potatoes + sunflower oil + salt. If you like to avoid sunflower oil and potatoes, then avoid them. But there's no need to pretend these perfectly ordinary foods suddenly become "junk" when these ingredients configure themselves in the shape of potato chips :D

I avoid potato chips for the same reasons I avoid buttered toast...and buttered potatos.

And what reason is that?

There is no reason to avoid these kind of chips. If you eat fat and carbs you can eat chips.

Precisely.

lol ^

In agreement with x-ray vision that people, like myself, avoid potato chips because the void in nutrition and high fat, rather than additives. Not to say eating potato chips will ruin your life or anything.

As far as I know, sunflower oil has numerous nutritional benefits. As for the potato aspect of potato chips... they have the same nutrients as, well, potatoes. Or so I would presume to hypothesize.

The most unhealthy thing about potato chips as far as I can tell are that they are high in sodium. Sunflower is generally considered a source of "good" fats, polyunsaturated fats and such. And to be honest, as I said above, I haven't read any studies to see how significant the supposed cholesterol-lowering effects of sunflower oil are. All I'm saying is what I said: potato chips are potatoes, sunflower oil, and salt. That's it.

dat
01-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the insight, Insight!

Insight
01-03-2010, 07:29 PM
dat's no trouble at all!

-TC-
01-03-2010, 07:34 PM
The real problem is they dont satisfy hunger, and there is a lot of calories per amt eaten

Lecter612
01-03-2010, 07:45 PM
And what reason is that?

Too calorie dense for the low level of satiation that they provide me given my current regiment.

trance__dreamer
01-03-2010, 09:11 PM

http://www.fritolay.com/our-snacks/lays-classic-potato-chips.html

Think about this the next time you frown down on potato chips with wary eyes. Don't your prejudiced tendencies make you feel bad? Why, you've been nothing but a racist this whole time, judging a book by its cover.

Shame on you. And also shame on you the next time you eat a baked potato with butter and salt, being mostly the same thing, but with more saturated fat.

(Although sodium is still pretty high... which sucks.)
/agreed. lays = a baked potato w/ oil on top.
muffin = flour + butter
etc.

since the start of my transformation, i've examined foods in this way. i actually think this is the #1 reason for my epic success; besides turning myself into some-what of an athlete. =P

scump
01-03-2010, 09:20 PM
yeah i grabbed a bag last night and checked the stats. nuthing to offensive to destroy my diet.

RealMenDeadLift
01-03-2010, 09:35 PM

rubbish

Halfway
01-03-2010, 09:49 PM
I'm sure a swole-ass 160lber with high teens bodyfat will quote a Pubmed study that proves eating buttered toast for breakfast helped obese senior citizens to lose weight, but in the real world who the exactly eats buttered toast for breakfast? Or lays?

...with subway, none the less? Apart from PLers looking for bench-bloat on Bench day?

RealMenDeadLift
01-03-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm sure a swole-ass 160lber with high teens bodyfat will quote a Pubmed study that proves eating buttered toast for breakfast helped obese senior citizens to lose weight, but in the real world who the exactly eats buttered toast for breakfast? Or lays?

...with subway, none the less? Apart from PLers looking for bench-bloat on Bench day?

huh? there is nothing wrong with eating buttered toast or chips provided you get enough protein, essential nutrients, and calories

Insight
01-03-2010, 10:59 PM

If you think a 100 cal bag of lays potato chips are going to make you fat, then you should also avoid eating a baked potato with butter or sour cream, because they are made of very similar things. And you should also avoid mashed potatoes. And also, you should avoid buttered toast.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but if you think that eating buttered toast at breakfast is going to make you bloated, then you have a very skewed mental image of human metabolism.

As for the implication of your post, I'm not sure anyone ever advocated eating nothing but buttered toast for breakfast or lays for lunch. Maybe I'm misinterpreting.

Insight
01-03-2010, 11:03 PM
/agreed. lays = a baked potato w/ oil on top.
muffin = flour + butter
etc.

since the start of my transformation, i've examined foods in this way. i actually think this is the #1 reason for my epic success; besides turning myself into some-what of an athlete. =P

Exactly! I would also cite it as the #1 reason for my (so far partial) success, and the reason I expect I will finish this cut with better results than any of my others. There is nothing left in this way to popular sentiments or what "feels" right or wrong. It's all about obtaining actual knowledge of what you're putting in your body.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. The people who successfully lose weight, and especially a significant amount of weight, are the ones who are forced to see through all of the bull**** floating around in the popular consciousness. It is exceedingly difficult to keep a diet up for a year or more that involves you struggling with unnecessary tests of discipline, or UTODs as I have coined them :D

Come to think of it, I wish I had a better acronym for it than UTOD. Maybe something that spells a word out, like DUMB

trance__dreamer
01-03-2010, 11:14 PM
here here!
rice cakes = rice + seasoning.
pretzels = dried flour...dried bread. xD
cookies = flour + butter
ice cream = dairy + sugar
etc.

i view candy the same way, too. candy = fruit w/out the nutrients. :p

& fruit = candy w/ the nutrients. healthy candy. :D
juice = liquid fruit = liquid healthy candy...LIQUID SLURPEE. ;)

daYDreAmErX
01-04-2010, 07:06 AM

That's retard.

If people were really thinking like that, you wouldn't be typing on a keyboard right now... oh noes, it's man made

JeepCreeper
01-04-2010, 07:08 AM

Salt is a preservative. :)

SwiftyX
01-04-2010, 07:33 AM
That's retard.

If people were really thinking like that, you wouldn't be typing on a keyboard right now... oh noes, it's man made

Haha.

Agreed. I prefer foods that have more nutritional bang for my buck honestly. Nothing wrong with potato chips (or other foods), when you want some. But just because something isn't going to ruin your goals doesn't mean it gets passed off as being bodybuilding food.

That being said....salt and vinegar ftmfw.