PDA

View Full Version : 24 hour detox ?

mattyoung92
01-02-2010, 01:51 AM
I'm thinking of doing a 24 hour detox to give the digestive system a break as well as flush out any crap I might have accumulated from the summer break indulging wouldn't be such a bad idea

Any input on previous 24 hour detox's or reputable programs would be greatly appreciated :)

lemon juice and water maybe ?

timhet
01-02-2010, 02:29 AM
seriously bro, don't do it. Your body naturally detoxes out the bad stuff. These products are a joke. It will set you back if anything.

scump
01-02-2010, 02:40 AM
seriously bro, don't do it. Your body naturally detoxes out the bad stuff. These products are a joke. It will set you back if anything.

i agree with what you said... except how exactly would it set him back?

i dont support 24hr detox's either, but hey whatever works for you...

IntraVol
01-02-2010, 02:48 AM
Totally pointless exercise.

My advice would be to just get straight back on track with a healthy eating plan. Include your essential macros (according to your training goals) and drink plenty of water.

Enjoy.

rhizome
01-02-2010, 06:13 AM
I'm thinking of doing a 24 hour detox to give the digestive system a break as well as flush out any crap I might have accumulated from the summer break indulging wouldn't be such a bad idea

Any input on previous 24 hour detox's or reputable programs would be greatly appreciated :)

lemon juice and water maybe ?
500 mg Mg QID will clean you out.

MikeD4386
01-02-2010, 06:33 AM
your best bet is to just completely water fast. Why would you put chemicals into your body when you are trying to "cleanse" it?

GoogleFreak
01-02-2010, 06:46 AM
Just eat a lot of vegetables and some fruit. Vegetables will naturally detox your system.
YOu should be eating 10 servings of fruits and vegetables anyways.

Altitude
01-02-2010, 07:16 AM
I take Colon Cleanse every now and then to "clean out the pipes" - works well for me. Basically, anything with psyllium seed husk will do the trick.

FunkymonkAW
01-02-2010, 07:37 AM
You body's about the best detoxifier you're gonna find.

TurbulentEnergy
01-02-2010, 07:38 AM
ok heres some science, when you flush out the bowels you are flushing out fecal matter as well as good and bad bacteria. ok you flushed out all your crap, well whats going to happen now is that your body is going to have to rebuild up enough bacteria in your intestines to help process and excrete the fecal matter again. Thus you may have to go a few days without crapping after you cleanse and then it will be building up over and over again. If you are wanting to flush out crap and keep normal, the best way is to eat a decent amount of fruit for about 2 days, ALONG with a healthy diet, dont just fast on fruits. This way it will clean you out and keep the good stuff in and flush the unwanted out. btw cleaning your colon with flushes often is not a good idea, has been known to cause colon cancer, but eh do what you want, I am only suggesting with the backup of science.

Now dont get me wrong with what i said about the bacteria and it building up to help push it out, what i mean is that for things to become normal again that is what has to happen. Your intestines will contract to push whatever out if it must go, but for you to go normal and regular and feel healthy, your body needs that good bacteria.

sharkey
01-02-2010, 07:52 AM
if its your colon your mainly wanting to "flush" out the best way is to use non-bloating nutritious foods such as rice bran or oat bran, these serve as food for your good bacteria whilst being extremely nutritous also.

3 tablespoons a day is good for helping feed the good bacteria and increasing fibre. Your intestinal bacteria are what generate the serotonin to control intestinal peristalsis oddly enough this isnt the same serotonin which is used by the brain but rather the other functions serotonin has on the body.

i still havent seen any proof that impacted fecal matter exists and most coronors will tell you the same thing.

queenofswords
01-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Detoxing is totally unnecessary. The human body is an amazing thing having come THIS far, so it doesn't need any pointless potions or irrigation bs to flush out what biology already has covered.

sharkey
01-02-2010, 09:59 AM
thats all fine when your bodys working as normal, try saying that to those who are chronically ill after repeated anti-biotic abuse etc.

Opies
01-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Millions of years of evolution and you think lemon juice and water is going to detoxify your body? Don't worry, your body already has it under control.

x-ray vision
01-02-2010, 10:22 AM
There's no such thing as giving you're digestive system "a break" (do you think it gets tired?) and there's no accumulated crap. The crap in your system is what you've eaten over the last day or so. It will come out on its own in you next crap or two.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/detox-diets-purging-myths

i dont support 24hr detox's either, but hey whatever works for you...
They don't work for anyone.

your best bet is to just completely water fast. Why would you put chemicals into your body when you are trying to "cleanse" it?
There's no need for any type of fast...and water is a chemical.

I take Colon Cleanse every now and then to "clean out the pipes" - works well for me. Basically, anything with psyllium seed husk will do the trick.
If your body is functioning properly, peristalsis will get the crap out on it's own in due time. There's no need to rush the process along with any type of "cleansers."

thats all fine when your bodys working as normal, try saying that to those who are chronically ill after repeated anti-biotic abuse etc.
Colon cleansing will do nothing to alleviate any harm done by antibiotic abuse.

sharkey
01-02-2010, 11:05 AM
i didnt say it did, read my previous posts.

infact theirs no evidence to suggest "impacted fecal matter" even exists.

x-ray vision
01-02-2010, 11:24 AM
It definitely exists, and when it happens to someone, they know it (but I know what you're saying- the myths about the average person walking around with x amount of lbs. of compacted fecal matter are definitely myths). If it happens to you, you'll have nausea, back pain, abdominal pain, etc. and you'll need to get disimpacted.

I was an x-ray tech for many years and I've done plenty of barium studies. When someone goes on a clear liquid diet for a couple of days, the x-rays show no matter at all in the colon. Again, if they did, the patient would know it. The liquid diet is necessary so I could visualize the empty colon; the fast is not necessary for health reasons. If everything is working normally, everything comes out the way nature intended. Peristalsis is constantly moving things along.

sharkey
01-02-2010, 12:03 PM
theirs going to be some degree of food that doesnt make it out even with the healthiest systems, i was more meaning the theory that years of impacted food builds up in the colon, which no coronor to date has ever seen.

x-ray vision
01-02-2010, 12:05 PM
theirs going to be some degree of food that doesnt make it out even with the healthiest systems
Cite? I haven't seen any of this food on barium study films for what reason?

x-ray vision
01-02-2010, 12:10 PM
i was more meaning the theory that years of impacted food builds up in the colon, which no coronor to date has ever seen.
So some amount of food doesn't make it out, yet it doesn't build up over the years? Can you explain this paradox?

sharkey
01-02-2010, 12:14 PM
So some amount of food doesn't make it out, yet it doesn't build up over the years? Can you explain this paradox?

well unless you have perfect digestion that has eliminated all the food from the night before your going to see some food still sitting around ?

x-ray vision
01-02-2010, 12:18 PM
well unless you have perfect digestion that has eliminated all the food from the night before your going to see some food still sitting around ?
Sure, you'll still have some food from the night before in your intestinal tract, but it won't be around for much longer.

Opies
01-02-2010, 12:21 PM

transit time from mouth to ..exit is usually up to 24 hours, unless some abnormal circumstance increases that time. A 24 hour fast would likely clear out your digestive tract, but there is no reason to believe it would be beneficial to do so

ChecksandGiggles
01-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Don't do it, it's bullsh!t.

Jattfusion
01-02-2010, 12:39 PM
detoxifying is just waste of money.. its better to donate that money to some needy or homeless than to waste it on these lame companies..
people think detoxigyin , cleansing will cleanse ur soul.. they even start to think their souls are purified and virgins again lol...

PopeGregorius
01-02-2010, 12:44 PM

Biscodyl, you'll be clean as a whistle.
http://www.drugs.com/mtm/bisacodyl.html

PopeGregorius
01-02-2010, 12:51 PM
i didnt say it did, read my previous posts.

Is does especially if you are over 70, you get abdominal pain & infection if faeces cant pass.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diverticulitis

sharkey
01-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Diverticulitis is much different condition than the **** these colon cleansing companys are spouting about mucoid plaque etc.

Shredded-Wolf
01-02-2010, 01:01 PM
i don't know about you guys but i love detoxing, it feels good to take that crap out of my body, i also like to sit on the toilet for some odd reason haha.

selffirst
01-02-2010, 03:15 PM

agreed

scump
01-02-2010, 06:25 PM
lol i can verify that fecal impaction DOES exsist. (see suppositry, suppositry, enema, enema)

but the stuff they refer to is TOTALLY different...theyr talking about particles of impacted faeces throughout the colon, like clinging to the wall if you will, as opposed to occluding the door (with allowing for possible overflow).

that said, i dont believe this occurs, as our x-ray tech just said, hes never seen any. also ive been present in my fair share of colonoscopies and after just 6 hours on colon-prep there was no sign of impacted faeces on the wall of anyones colon.

I just love the fact soooo many people do stuff, because the "ad" or "box" rambled off some gibberish which made sence to them, even though they have no idea how it/ their body works!