PDA

View Full Version : holding water ?

metalhead18
12-28-2009, 06:11 PM
ive been wondering about this for a while, i dropped carbs pretty low yesterday to about 50. going to try it for a few more days at least. i want to lose the water weight, but just wondering about sodium, how much sodium would you be able to have a day without negating the effects of low carbs?
sorry if this is a dumb question lol thanks.

metalhead18
12-28-2009, 08:32 PM
im guessing noone knows the answer hah.
any personal experiences would be helpful

chad625
12-28-2009, 08:44 PM
Drink lots of water, eat lower carbs like you're doing eventually you'll lose water weight. But it will come back.

cheeseandrice
12-28-2009, 08:47 PM
could have sworn i replied to this thread

i'm on keto and i lost like 6 pounds of water in 1 week. some days i go overboard on salt and i still never gain water weight, except my carb days.

the problem is i dont think anyone here actually counts sodium.. if you think you are eating too much, just drink more water man. if you drink a ****load of water your body wont hang onto it

AustrianOakJr
12-29-2009, 05:08 AM
Your body will regulate sodium on its own. It will get rid of what it doesnt need (if your water intake is high enough). If your body is used to a lower sodium amount and you spike it for a day (or a meal) you will hold the water for a little while until the body will regulate it. If you want to lose total body water weight for some kind of event, drop the carbs, taper your normal sodium amount down slightly and crank your water. 5-6 hrs prior to your event, start tapering water back just slightly......so if youre normally drinking 2 gallons, taper it back to 1.5 gals...

Keep in mind, when you drop your carbs, youre depleting glycogen (stored glucose in the muscle) and your muscular performance will drop and your physique will flatten out. Bodybuilders do not drop carbs to lose water weight.

metalhead18
12-31-2009, 06:51 PM
Your body will regulate sodium on its own. It will get rid of what it doesnt need (if your water intake is high enough). If your body is used to a lower sodium amount and you spike it for a day (or a meal) you will hold the water for a little while until the body will regulate it. If you want to lose total body water weight for some kind of event, drop the carbs, taper your normal sodium amount down slightly and crank your water. 5-6 hrs prior to your event, start tapering water back just slightly......so if youre normally drinking 2 gallons, taper it back to 1.5 gals...

Keep in mind, when you drop your carbs, youre depleting glycogen (stored glucose in the muscle) and your muscular performance will drop and your physique will flatten out. Bodybuilders do not drop carbs to lose water weight.

thanks for your time you took to write your response mate.
its not for an event i just wanted to see what id look like if i lost some water weight ha. but new years pretty much wrecked it, too much drinking :p . anyway thanks mate.
2 gallons ****en hell, i be lucky to get 1 a day.

metalhead18
12-31-2009, 06:53 PM
could have sworn i replied to this thread

i'm on keto and i lost like 6 pounds of water in 1 week. some days i go overboard on salt and i still never gain water weight, except my carb days.

the problem is i dont think anyone here actually counts sodium.. if you think you are eating too much, just drink more water man. if you drink a ****load of water your body wont hang onto it

thanks mate, yeah ive lost a kg or so in a few days. thanks for your experience man, ill try drink heaps of water. take it easy aye.

metalhead18
12-31-2009, 06:54 PM
Drink lots of water, eat lower carbs like you're doing eventually you'll lose water weight. But it will come back.

thanks man, ill up my water deffinately. take it easy

Brad155
12-31-2009, 08:26 PM
honestly, sodium isnt that big a deal as long as you are drinking enough water with it. going too low sodium is actually bad so dont try to cut it out completely. just drink a lot of water and the excess salts will be flushed from your system.