PDA

View Full Version : What should a skinny-fat guy eat?

somedude00
12-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Apologies if this topic has been beaten to death, but please bare with me. This is my first post, and I am dedicating myself to a total body transformation. I am currently a skinny-fat guy... and recently I hooked up with a girl who was in great shape, and felt terrible because I was just fatting it up in her bed.

I've done some research on this, but I keep seeing conflicting things. I am 6'5 225, and I am skinny-fat. I look fine with clothes on, but under my shirt is a wall of FLAB. So I decided that I am actually going to try a new years resolution (I usually scoff at new years resolutions), and get my flabby ass in shape. I have basically no muscles, so I know I need to hit the gym, but I need some help with my diet. I usually eat whatever and don't log it... so I will start logging what I actually eat. I am also aware that I need protein. That's about as far as I know. I'd like to come down in weight to like 195-205, but I also don't want to be a slightly lighter version of my flabby self.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

jdominic6
12-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Apologies if this topic has been beaten to death, but please bare with me. This is my first post, and I am dedicating myself to a total body transformation. I am currently a skinny-fat guy... and recently I hooked up with a girl who was in great shape, and felt terrible because I was just fatting it up in her bed.

I've done some research on this, but I keep seeing conflicting things. I am 6'5 225, and I am skinny-fat. I look fine with clothes on, but under my shirt is a wall of FLAB. So I decided that I am actually going to try a new years resolution (I usually scoff at new years resolutions), and get my flabby ass in shape. I have basically no muscles, so I know I need to hit the gym, but I need some help with my diet. I usually eat whatever and don't log it... so I will start logging what I actually eat. I am also aware that I need protein. That's about as far as I know. I'd like to come down in weight to like 195-205, but I also don't want to be a slightly lighter version of my flabby self.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

For a starter like yourself I'd say follow these simple rules, and wait until you're more knowledgable about your body and in general nutrition to count every calorie and macro:

1. Workout and stay healthy for yourself, not for other people or just to hookup with women : P
2. Lift heavy and to failure in the gym every session.
3. Combine with light to moderate cardio a couple times a week.
4. Eat a variety of protein, carbs, and fats every day. Eat when your hungry and until you feel full.
5. Try to avoid binge drinking.
6. Don't freakout if you think you're getting fat or bloated and then drop your calories for days. Just keep lifting heavy and eating regularly while making better choices about the foods you eat. You WILL begin to see results.

BloodRaged
12-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Just going off the topic question...

Eat what ever the **** you want to eat as long as it matches with your caloric needs for your goals as well as your macro break down.

Pretty easy really.

somedude00
12-28-2009, 11:00 AM
For a starter like yourself I'd say follow these simple rules, and wait until you're more knowledgable about your body and in general nutrition to count every calorie and macro:

1. Workout and stay healthy for yourself, not for other people or just to hookup with women : P
2. Lift heavy and to failure in the gym every session.
3. Combine with light to moderate cardio a couple times a week.
4. Eat a variety of protein, carbs, and fats every day. Eat when your hungry and until you feel full.
5. Try to avoid binge drinking.
6. Don't freakout if you think you're getting fat or bloated and then drop your calories for days. Just keep lifting heavy and eating regularly while making better choices about the foods you eat. You WILL begin to see results.

Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Just kidding though that's sound advice I appreciate it. Just what I was looking for. So I recently joined a gym last month and was going pretty sporadically. Based on your suggestions, I will force myself to go 4 times a week and focus on going heavy to failure, while mixing some cardio in 2 of those days.

I will eat lots of fish, grilled chicken, turkey, raw almonds, peanuts, fresh fruit, veggies, peanut butter, etc. for my protein, carbs and fats. This is kind of how I have been eating over the last couple months, but I tend to get lazy and go for pizza, burgers, etc way too often (which I obviously need to cut out).

BloodRaged
12-28-2009, 11:02 AM
I will eat lots of fish, grilled chicken, turkey, raw almonds, peanuts, fresh fruit, veggies, peanut butter, etc. for my protein, carbs and fats. This is kind of how I have been eating over the last couple months, but I tend to get lazy and go for pizza, burgers, etc way too often (which I obviously need to cut out).

And this is a very good reason why most new people to fitness fail.

You don't have to eat all that bull**** or force yourself to eat it / work out.

You just have to be sensible and understand a little bit about nutrition.

If you try to follow that above, 50 bucks says you give up shortly down the road.

jdominic6
12-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Just kidding though that's sound advice I appreciate it. Just what I was looking for. So I recently joined a gym last month and was going pretty sporadically. Based on your suggestions, I will force myself to go 4 times a week and focus on going heavy to failure, while mixing some cardio in 2 of those days.

Just make sure you always have a spotter when needed. Pizza and burgers are fine. It will take time to learn your body's calorie requirement over a general period of time to lose, maintain, and gain weight; combined with your gym activities. Also, you will get better at being able to eyeball a rough estimate of the amount of calories in your foods. Pizza and burgers get a bad rep because sometimes its difficult to know how many calories you are actually consuming when you don't make them yourself.

Also make sure you get your vitamins and minerals daily, if not already from the foods in your diet.

Don't force yourself to go to the gym, enjoy going to the gym and you'll get way better results, true story!

somedude00
12-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Damn thanks to both of you guys. I'm feeling pretty motivated right now. How about protein? i try to eat a good amount of it, but should I be trying to eat a certain amount of protein daily?

BloodRaged
12-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Damn thanks to both of you guys. I'm feeling pretty motivated right now. How about protein? i try to eat a good amount of it, but should I be trying to eat a certain amount of protein daily?

It varies based on your diet type but a good start point is trying to get 1 gram per lbs of "lean" body weight.

somedude00
12-28-2009, 12:47 PM
It varies based on your diet type but a good start point is trying to get 1 gram per lbs of "lean" body weight.

Dumb question... how do I determine my lean body weight?

BloodRaged
12-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Dumb question... how do I determine my lean body weight?

Find out what your body fat percentage is and subtract that from your total weight.

somedude00
12-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Find out what your body fat percentage is and subtract that from your total weight.

Ahh I see... Found a really good formula through google search, and sounds like im at approx. 19% body fat, which sounds about right (don't laugh). That puts me at about 180ish lbs of lean body weight.

BloodRaged
12-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Ahh I see... Found a really good formula through google search, and sounds like im at approx. 19% body fat, which sounds about right (don't laugh). That puts me at about 180ish lbs of lean body weight.

Some methods are more accurate then others, but you get the general idea.