PDA

View Full Version : if you eat a lot of meat and dairy...

Alinnyk
12-27-2009, 10:37 PM
...and have diarhea.
does that mean that you still absorbed all the protein?
it doesent really flow right through me, so its digested right?

12-27-2009, 10:38 PM
...and have diarhea.

Don't let those proteins go down the toilet brah!

grumble1
12-27-2009, 11:47 PM
Eat your fiber and eat other stuff too.

Alinnyk
01-03-2010, 12:08 AM
this does not answer my question. does the protein go to waste? it still gets digested/absorbed by the stomach. right?

scump
01-03-2010, 12:13 AM
no one answered because we dont know.

it depends on alot of things, are you eating carbs+fibre with your meals aswell? maybe your eating a tad too much dairy... either way having constant diarrhea isnt a good thing.

Mr-Paradox
01-03-2010, 05:43 AM
this does not answer my question. does the protein go to waste? it still gets digested/absorbed by the stomach. right?

Nutrients are still absorbed yes, the water in your bowel does not stop you digesting nutrients afaik

x-ray vision
01-03-2010, 07:26 AM
...and have diarhea.
It depends. If the cause is a problem in the large intestine, such as those with Crohn's disease, then there shouldn't be a problem with nutrient absorption. If there's a problem in the small bowel, such as something more transient like a viral infection, then there will most likely be issues with complete nutrient absorption. If you're lactose intolerant and drinking milk anyway and this causes diarrhea, nutrient absorption will be compromised to some degree.

TheAdlerian
01-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Feces is made of undigested food. Your intestines are always contracting automatically and pushing food through. So, you do not digest all of your food all of the time, your body simply isn't that efficient.

YoungEx20
01-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Eat fiber and if needed probiotics to help digestion. If something is making you sick then you need to make changes for that not to happen anymore.

cgh
01-03-2010, 10:44 AM
I started having diarrhea everytime I took a crap, after 9 days I went to the doctors and he said I"m more than likely lactose intolerant. I did get a stool sample test and that came up clean for anything. Quit drinking/eating milk products for 2 weeks and see what happens. And if you are eating something with milk pop a couple lactaid pills prior. The only way to find out is to try. My doctor was pretty confident all my problem was was lactose intolerance.

grumble1
01-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Feces is made of undigested food. Your intestines are always contracting automatically and pushing food through. So, you do not digest all of your food all of the time, your body simply isn't that efficient.

Well, it's actually mostly made up of bacteria which multiplied in your gut (look up gut flora on wikipedia), but yeah, there's some undigested food in there too (and food that you can't digest period).

TheAdlerian
01-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Well, it's actually mostly made up of bacteria which multiplied in your gut (look up gut flora on wikipedia), but yeah, there's some undigested food in there too (and food that you can't digest period).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feces

After an animal has digested eaten material, the remains of that material are expelled from its body as waste. Though it is lower in energy than the food it came from, feces may still contain a large amount of energy, often 50% of that of the original food.[2] This means that of all food eaten, a significant amount of energy remains for the decomposers of ecosystems. Many organisms feed on feces, from bacteria to fungi to insects such as dung beetles, which can sense odors from long distances.[3] Some may specialize in feces, while others may eat other foods as well. Feces serve not only as a basic food, but also a supplement to the usual diet of some animals. This is known as coprophagia, and occurs in various animal species such as young elephants eating their mother's feces to gain essential gut flora, or by other animals such as monkeys.

I've noticed a bizarre myth on the board that our body digests all the food you eat, and it's not true. The body isn't that good at maintaining or burning energy, and in fact some animals life off of eating feces alone, thus indicating that there's plenty of energy left in feces, which means that a lot of food isn't processed by most animals' bodies.

grumble1
01-03-2010, 03:38 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gut_flora

The human body, consisting of about 10 trillion cells, carries about ten times as many microorganisms in the intestines.[1][2][3][4] The metabolic activities performed by these bacteria resemble those of an organ, leading some to liken gut bacteria to a "forgotten" organ.[5]

Bacteria make up most of the flora in the colon[6] and 60% of the dry mass of feces.[2] Somewhere between 300[2] and 1000 different species live in the gut,[3] with most estimates at about 500.[4][5][7] However, it is probable that 99% of the bacteria come from about 30 or 40 species.[8] Fungi and protozoa also make up a part of the gut flora, but little is known about their activities.

I agree with you that feces are definitely full of undigested food, but there's plenty of bacteria in there too.

x-ray vision
01-03-2010, 03:52 PM
I've noticed a bizarre myth on the board that our body digests all the food you eat, and it's not true.
Where on this board? gordonrumble specifically said "there's some undigested food in there too (and food that you can't digest period)." You even quoted him on this while inferring he was unaware that there is energy in feces.