PDA

View Full Version : Bulking when you're insulant resistant?

Chicago1287
12-25-2009, 12:16 PM
I haven't had any tests on myself yet to be 100% sure that I have this problem....but this is a question just in case when I get tested soon.

My family has a history of Type 2 diabetes, which means I can have that problem too. One thing I notice is that when I bulk, having my carbs up a few hundred grams (around 200 to 300) and only eating about 2600 to 3000 calories puts fat straight to my stomach like you wouldn't imagine. I went from a 34" waist to a 40" waist in 5 months. And my weight went from 165 to 195 in those 5 months too on just 2600 to 3000 calories a day. Very little was muscle gain and it's driving me crazy.

I don't know much about insulin resistance so if I have the problem, what's the best way to gain some muscle with minimal or at least lower fat gain? Gaining that much fat on a maximum of 3000 calories a day is ridiculous to me. I know that a diet with protein and carbs are better for muscle gain than a diet with low carbs.

Emma-Leigh
12-25-2009, 01:06 PM
I haven't had any tests on myself yet to be 100% sure that I have this problem....but this is a question just in case when I get tested soon.

My family has a history of Type 2 diabetes, which means I can have that problem too. One thing I notice is that when I bulk, having my carbs up a few hundred grams (around 200 to 300) and only eating about 2600 to 3000 calories puts fat straight to my stomach like you wouldn't imagine. I went from a 34" waist to a 40" waist in 5 months. And my weight went from 165 to 195 in those 5 months too on just 2600 to 3000 calories a day. Very little was muscle gain and it's driving me crazy.

I don't know much about insulin resistance so if I have the problem, what's the best way to gain some muscle with minimal or at least lower fat gain? Gaining that much fat on a maximum of 3000 calories a day is ridiculous to me. I know that a diet with protein and carbs are better for muscle gain than a diet with low carbs.
The easy answer -
1. lower carbs and cals and bulk slow
2. improve insulin sensitivity as much as possible with supplements & exercise
3. make sure your numbers are all correct and that you are not 'getting off track' more than you think you are (sometimes the reason for poor results is because of the 'unplanned' things rather than the planned ;) )

Yes - traditionally - higher carbs = better for muscle gains. BUT - if you have medical issues.... then you 'break the rules'.

For those who are insulin resistant - you are probably better off with a moderate to low intake of carbs... And at 185 # you would want to stay at 185g or below.

So - if you wanted to gain slowly then calorie wise 3000 cals would be fine.... [if you are not all that active, 2800 could even be a better starting point for you]. Then I would probably alter macro's to something like:
- ~ 115g fat [~ 1100 cals]
- ~ 300g protein [~ 1200 cals]
Then do carbs to fill in the rest of your numbers (something around 185g).

For carb choices, as you are insulin resistant I would stick to stacks of vegetables, legumes, brans, a little fruit, and other similar options (rather than things like rice/ potato). Essentially - LOTS of fiber = good....!

Supplements that can help with insulin resistance:
- R-ALA
- Fish oils
- Magnesium
- Chromium
- psyllium (fiber) or Glucomannan (another type of fiber)
- Vanadium
- cinnamon
- lemon juice/ lime juice/ vinegar

For training - train heavy and hard... But, unfortunately, you'll probably have to do a little more cardio than others in a similar situation (cardio helps with insulin sensitivity)....