PDA

View Full Version : How many calories should I be getting per meal?

yankee4489
12-23-2009, 08:40 PM
I'm a male about 170 lbs and 6' 3''. I'm trying to bulk up and I'm wondering how many calories I should be getting per meal? I've heard if you get too many per meal some of it will be sotred as fat. How many is too many? Thanks.

Strong_1rd_Post
12-23-2009, 11:52 PM
I'm a male about 170 lbs and 6' 3''. I'm trying to bulk up and I'm wondering how many calories I should be getting per meal? I've heard if you get too many per meal some of it will be sotred as fat. How many is too many? Thanks.

CLIFFS
-initially use calorie maintenance equation
-add about 500 calories to this
-spread out calorie consumption into 5-6 meals/day
-journal everything you eat

-after a few weeks, use mirror to determine progress
-fine tune calorie consumption if necessary

-stick to calorie goals, and weight train heavy with good form

-too much calories + not enough weight training = fat gain
-too few calories + too much cardio = weight loss

I'll take a stab at this one. Keep in mind, I'm kind of new to 'proper' bodybuilding, so its a good idea to get other people's advice also.

Initially, you want to use the calorie maintenance equation. Find out how much calories you require, just to maintain your current weight. Then add about 500 calories to this number. If your final calorie goal is 3000 calories, then divide by 6, and that comes to 500 calories per meal (if you eat 6x per day). So average about that.

Its important to realize, that you must keep track of what you eat in a journal, and follow your progress. After a couple of weeks, just keep readjusting calorie intake if needed. That is the only way it works for me.

As for your question, you must eat a surplus of calories in order to put on muscle. But make sure you hit the gym hard. Lift heavy, and with good form. That has worked amazingly for me. If you keep eating, and don't workout then it will get stored as fat.

There is some guy on this forum, who bulked and his after photos just look fatter! He probably didn't workout hard enough, and ate too much. Just keep a nice balance. Requires practice, but you have to fine tune it.

Also, common sense helps too. If you keep eating lots of food, and don't workout, it will get stored as fat. Conversely, if you eat very little and do tons of cardio, you will lose weight.

Good Luck

AlwaysTryin
12-23-2009, 11:55 PM
You don't have to eat that many meals. Eat as many or little meals as you want. As long as you get the required calories all is ok

Strong_1rd_Post
12-24-2009, 12:01 AM
You don't have to eat that many meals. Eat as many or little meals as you want. As long as you get the required calories all is ok

Thanks for chiming in. Don't want to take this off topic, but do have a quick question regarding meal frequency.

In the past, I only at 3x per day. If that.

Since bodybuilding, I started eating 6x per day. I don't know why, maybe because that's what most people do?

I thought about it more, and put it this way. Think about calorie goals, and time. If you tracked calories weekly, then essentially, you could eat ALL of your calories on Monday, and eat NOTHING from tue-sun. We all know that is a pretty bad idea.

But in the same sense, tracking calories per day, you could eat them all in the morning, or spread them evenly.

Another reasoning, is that it would keep your insulin levels constant throughout the day, therefore keep muscle building an active ongoing process. Also, you avoid insulin spikes, which usually make you feel like crap.

I find that the more I read on this forum, the more bro-science my posts become. Sorry about that. But its my 'argument' for spreading out meals over 5-6 per day.

Sorry for OP for derailing a little. Would love to know the counter argument of why meal frequency doesn't matter.