PDA

View Full Version : Whats your favorite quote?

nitr0x2
12-23-2009, 06:34 PM
I tried making this thread in the misc, but I should have realized it would fail there.

The R/P seems to be a bit brighter than the misc (I hope)

What are your favorite quotes? Deep quotes, inspirational quotes, quotes that make you think.

Thumper.
12-23-2009, 06:35 PM
If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

and my sig

flabtoabs
12-23-2009, 06:58 PM
not really a quote but its good!

CKLSIbqev0I

Moh7
12-23-2009, 07:04 PM
dat dere my sig

last line

Chris In O.C.
12-23-2009, 07:07 PM
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free

Goethe

nitr0x2
12-23-2009, 07:08 PM
dat dere my sig

last line

:rolleyes:

<--- misc is that way brah :D

thepointman
12-23-2009, 07:11 PM
"Americans, like human beings everywhere, believe many things that are obviously untrue. Their most destructive untruth is that it is very easy for any American to make money. They will not acknowledge how in fact hard money is to come by, and, therefore, those who have no money blame and blame and blame themselves. This inward blame has been a treasure for the rich and powerful, who have had to do less for their poor, publicly and privately, than any other ruling class since, say, Napoleonic times." -- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

Also,

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -- Denis Diderot

nitr0x2
12-23-2009, 07:16 PM
"Americans, like human beings everywhere, believe many things that are obviously untrue. Their most destructive untruth is that it is very easy for any American to make money. They will not acknowledge how in fact hard money is to come by, and, therefore, those who have no money blame and blame and blame themselves. This inward blame has been a treasure for the rich and powerful, who have had to do less for their poor, publicly and privately, than any other ruling class since, say, Napoleonic times." -- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

I find it strange that out of all the famous quotes throughout history, your favorite is a paragraph about how hard it is for an American to make money and how the rich and powerful oppress the poor.

Your second quote is cool.

jafomofo
12-23-2009, 07:44 PM
favorite quotes are touch to pick. the first 2 are sayings of my own the i try to live by:

The only security in life is to be found in the ability to embrace and accept change.

Be the man you want to be, do it now and hold to that with each decision you make.

here are some favorite quotes:
"Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disap
pear and obstacles vanish." John Quincy Adams

Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a s
econd. ~William James

Without haste, but without rest.
Goethe

Frozen_By_You
12-23-2009, 07:45 PM
"If not now, when?"

MontelWilliams
12-23-2009, 07:51 PM
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein

reyalp
12-23-2009, 07:52 PM
second quote in my sig. just a modified George Burns quote

stronguy91
12-23-2009, 08:04 PM
''they called me a recluse and a rapist. I told them i wasn't a recluse'' -mike tyson

Rune
12-23-2009, 10:23 PM
I've got a lot. The two in my sig are some of my favourites, along with this.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." - Winston Churchill

It's one I often repeat to myself when I'm having a rough time with one of my endeavors.

wrathofhan
12-23-2009, 11:35 PM
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world ? "No, you move."

- Captain America

Blindead
12-24-2009, 12:38 AM
"They think that somethings wrong with me...let me tell you something, if you don't like chicken and watermelon, there's something wrong with YOU mother****er!"
- Dave Chappelle

not srs

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We must remember always that accusation is not proof and that conviction depends upon evidence and due process of law. We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men. We proclaim ourselves, as indeed we are, the defenders of freedom, wherever it continues to exist in the world, but we cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."
- Edward R. Murrow

now i am

farquezy
12-24-2009, 12:43 AM
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" Stephen Hawking

enkaroxch
12-24-2009, 01:29 AM
"Don't be an idiot" - Michael Scott - Regional Manager Dunder Mifflin Paper Company.

Madsen89
12-24-2009, 01:30 AM
"That which is owned by none is abused by all." -James Madison.

Bahai.Lifter
12-24-2009, 12:13 PM
http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/b/GWB/gwb-130.html

Be generous in prosperity, and thankful in adversity. Be worthy of the trust of thy neighbor, and look upon him with a bright and friendly face. Be a treasure to the poor, an admonisher to the rich, an answerer of the cry of the needy, a preserver of the sanctity of thy pledge. Be fair in thy judgment, and guarded in thy speech. Be unjust to no man, and show all meekness to all men. Be as a lamp unto them that walk in darkness, a joy to the sorrowful, a sea for the thirsty, a haven for the distressed, an upholder and defender of the victim of oppression. Let integrity and uprightness distinguish all thine acts. Be a home for the stranger, a balm to the suffering, a tower of strength for the fugitive. Be eyes to the blind, and a guiding light unto the feet of the erring. Be an ornament to the countenance of truth, a crown to the brow of fidelity, a pillar of the temple of righteousness, a breath of life to the body of mankind, an ensign of the hosts of justice, a luminary above the horizon of virtue, a dew to the soil of the human heart, an ark on the ocean of knowledge, a sun in the heaven of bounty, a gem on the diadem of wisdom, a shining light in the firmament of thy generation, a fruit upon the tree of humility.

[Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, CXXX]

Blindead
12-24-2009, 12:33 PM
that quote is actually smaller than i expected BL. rofls.

Queequeg
12-24-2009, 12:36 PM
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free

Goethe

That is very nice, persoanlly I and believe this to be very true. repped

Enso
12-24-2009, 01:14 PM
"The reward of a thing well done, is to have done it"

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Do not speak, unless it improves upon silence"

- Siddhartha

"If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough."

- Meister Eckhart

"They are all perfect.."

- Katsumoto

Irezumi
12-24-2009, 01:16 PM
"The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry."-Richard Dawkins

MindFree
12-24-2009, 01:28 PM
There should be no favorites.

Matrix quotes are all good though, especially from the first one, mostly because they are a compilation of human understanding.

Morpheus: What is "real"? How do you define "real"?

If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain

Agent Smith: Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. Which is why the Matrix was redesigned to this: the peak of your civilization.

Morpheus: This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

Neo: I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid... you're afraid of us. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin. I'm going to hang up this phone, and then I'm going to show these people what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world without you. A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

Morpheus: How did I beat you?
Neo: You... you're too fast.
Morpheus: Do you believe that my being stronger or faster has anything to do with my muscles in this place? Do you think that's air you're breathing now?

Morpheus: The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work... when you go to church... when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Morpheus: That you are a slave, Neo. Like everyone else you were born into bondage. Into a prison that you cannot taste or see or touch. A prison for your mind.

Neo: This... this isn't the Matrix?
Morpheus: No. It is another training program designed to teach you one thing: if you are not one of us, you are one of them.

Enso
12-24-2009, 01:45 PM
If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

Heh, that's the quote I've been using in my signature for a while now.

powerman2000
12-24-2009, 02:02 PM
"What we do in life echoes in eternity." - Maximus Decimus Meridius

bassing68
01-01-2010, 11:52 AM
May God have mercy upon my enemies because I won't...Gen George Patton

From an army drill sgt......If you ain't cheating then you ain't trying and if you get caught then you ain't trying hard enough.