PDA

View Full Version : Laws against harraasing people through protesting

Heavy_Beats
12-14-2009, 02:37 PM
In America are you allowed to have protesters following someone around in their everyday lives e.g.
Door knocking?
On the side walk outside their home?
Outside their place of business?
Where they park their car?
Where they buy their groceries?
Where they go to the hospital?
When they go on vacation?
On the internet?
On the phone?

Are you allowed to sing songs like "Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down"?

What are the limitations of destroying someone through relentless protesting?

Blindead
12-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Yeah. Not really protestors, but they're called the Papparazi.

Heavy_Beats
12-14-2009, 02:43 PM
Yeah. Not really protestors, but they're called the Papparazi.

I forgot about cameras, there would be protestors with camreas recording and taking pictures of the person being targeted and these pictures would be put on websites like youtube with songs like "Never Gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..." Would that be alright, besides the copyright problem?

Something like this:
v1Xn3TCDjVI

Blindead
12-14-2009, 02:44 PM
I forgot about cameras, there would be protestors with camreas recording and taking pictures of the person being targeted and these pictures would be put on websites like youtube with songs like "Never Gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..." Would that be alright, besides the copyright problem?

Hrm. When I was a Journalism major we covered stuff like this. I'll look through my old papers and see if I did anything on it. A lot of it has to do with where the picture is taken from and where the person is (there's differences between: both on public property, either or on private and the other on public, etc.)

bradlehman
12-14-2009, 03:48 PM

Something like this:
v1Xn3TCDjVI

There's a crazy preacher on my campus too. He stands on the sidewalk though and not on university property so we can't get him kicked off. I'm totally doing this to him. I was trying to think of what song to play. I thought "Get Back" by Ludacris would be funny but I didn't want to offend people with the bad language. This is much funnier.

Edit: In case people are unaware:

X8sAp6ayuRg

SDMuscleBuddy
12-14-2009, 04:07 PM
You have to be concerned with invasion of privacy and slander. If they are on public property, sidewalk, street, etc. they have no reasonable expectation of privacy. A place of business, parking lot, etc. is not public property and might be a legal gray area. You can't impede their movements, and I assume that there would also be some local noise ordinances you would have to observe. If you are chanting something about them, or carrying a sign that says something about them, it must not be false information. Someone would have to have done you some serious wrong for you to want to do these things.

bradlehman
12-14-2009, 05:16 PM
You have to be concerned with invasion of privacy and slander. If they are on public property, sidewalk, street, etc. they have no reasonable expectation of privacy. A place of business, parking lot, etc. is not public property and might be a legal gray area. You can't impede their movements, and I assume that there would also be some local noise ordinances you would have to observe. If you are chanting something about them, or carrying a sign that says something about them, it must not be false information. Someone would have to have done you some serious wrong for you to want to do these things.

Serious wrong like standing out in the middle of the sidewalk, while students change classes, next to posters with hand-drawn pictures of the devil, telling us we're all going to burn in Hell because we study textbooks instead of the Bible and engage in premarital sexual relations? I have noticed he's only there on nice, comfortable days. Apparently his love for Jesus is diminished by rain and cold weather.

Blindead
12-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Serious wrong like standing out in the middle of the sidewalk, while students change classes, next to posters with hand-drawn pictures of the devil, telling us we're all going to burn in Hell because we study textbooks instead of the Bible and engage in premarital sexual relations? I have noticed he's only there on nice, comfortable days. Apparently his love for Jesus is diminished by rain and cold weather.

There's a guy who does that on campus. We've had quite a few like that. It's really annoying. My friend mooned of them one once. Rofls.

Skettch
12-14-2009, 05:18 PM

How is a place of business "a gray area"?

If its private property the owner should be able to kick off who ever he wants.

Blindead
12-14-2009, 05:21 PM
How is a place of business "a gray area"?

If its private property the owner should be able to kick off who ever he wants.

What if the owner is a gay black muslim? can he kick out whites and christians?

brighamw
12-14-2009, 05:21 PM

"Apparently his love for Jesus is diminished by rain and cold weather."

^Is it wrong that my first thought when I read this was, OMG someones going to come in here and say, "Show me in the bible where it say's you must love Jesus in bad weather too." ;)

brighamw
12-14-2009, 05:22 PM

^Probably ;)

Skettch
12-14-2009, 05:25 PM

Yes, he should be able to do that.

Although its unlikely he could ever kick me out, as I wouldn't go to his business to begin with.

Blindead
12-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Yes, he should be able to do that.

Although its unlikely he could ever kick me out, as I wouldn't go to his business to begin with.

Ah, of course.