PDA

View Full Version : trying to lose weight with very low thyroid

sudevi8413
12-05-2009, 01:06 PM
im 4'11" 122lbs. gymnast body but fat in areas i dont want. (stomach) i need help on a diet regulated for a low thyroid. i eat very health 90% of the time. for example breakfast is half cup oatmeal and maybe a protein shake or apple if im in a hurry. lunch is chicken breast or salmon patty with cottage cheese. dinner veggies chicken and a salad with light italian dressing..i do cardio every morning on empty stomach and weight lift later in the day. i work really hard but seem to go nowhere with the weight. also, on top of it all my thyroid is ****ed...... anyone have any suggestions...

freebirdmac
12-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Are you on thyroid meds? Is your blood work showing stable levels? Once you are stable you can't blame your thyroid. It'll all be about diet. Your maintenance cals may be 100 cals or less than maintenance if you weren't hypo. But that's it.

Based on your stats you should be eating 1500 cals for fat loss. You're over doing the cardio, hold it down to 3x week. Not sure what your lifting routine is but you need to hit it heavy and hard. Again, the big thing is diet. Not eating enough will hurt you. Not eating enough good fats is another killer. Start tracking your diet on a site like fitday to see your cals and macros. And stop the insane cardio.

kimm4
12-05-2009, 02:45 PM
im 4'11" 122lbs. gymnast body but fat in areas i dont want. (stomach) i need help on a diet regulated for a low thyroid. i eat very health 90% of the time. for example breakfast is half cup oatmeal and maybe a protein shake or apple if im in a hurry. lunch is chicken breast or salmon patty with cottage cheese. dinner veggies chicken and a salad with light italian dressing..i do cardio every morning on empty stomach and weight lift later in the day. i work really hard but seem to go nowhere with the weight. also, on top of it all my thyroid is ****ed...... anyone have any suggestions...

If this is what you're eating daily it's not enough calories. When a person tells me they eat very healthy 90% of the time, then I immediately ask what the other 10% looks like? If you're having problems dropping body fat, then your diet is not as tight as you think it is.

Freebird is on 1500 calories is where you need to be for steady fat loss. Each meal needs to consist of protein, a carb source and healthy fats. You need a better overall balance in your meal choices.

Gen_V
12-09-2009, 09:04 AM

My mom has a messed up thyroid from being pregnant with me and she always had issues with her weight. Lately, since we got a new pup, she's been walking her 4 times a day, 30-1h each walk. I saw a huge difference in her weight and no, it wasnt from her eating (and she doesnt even lift weights).

So maybe you can try and switch the intense cardio for a slow paced one? I was also watching a show that suggested spicy food or spices in your diet as it makes your body temperature go up.
Oh and no sugar! That goes right down to the stomach and love handles, lol.

Nightbird573
12-09-2009, 09:16 AM
It is possible to look great with a messed up thyroid! Just ask Ava Cowan! ;)

mavrick77
12-09-2009, 09:46 AM

if your thyroid is messed up a doctor will put you on cytomel, or some other type of thyroid hormone... have you had it tested? or you just "think" its slow. Because if you had it tested and it was TRULY slow, the doctor will prescribe you the cytomel or a T3/T4 blend.

I am not trying to be mean, but half the fat women (your not) out their have thryoid problems, at least they TELL me they do.

Nightbird573
12-09-2009, 10:35 AM
if your thyroid is messed up a doctor will put you on cytomel, or some other type of thyroid hormone... have you had it tested? or you just "think" its slow. Because if you had it tested and it was TRULY slow, the doctor will prescribe you the cytomel or a T3/T4 blend.

I am not trying to be mean, but half the fat women (your not) out their have thryoid problems, at least they TELL me they do.

lol..I know what you mean!! I worked with a girl that was 5 foot tall and weighed over 200lbs..she said she had a thyroid problem, but all she ever did was eat candy and fast food!!

Nicksmommy52
12-09-2009, 10:52 AM
If you keep your levels regulated by taking a med like Synthroid each day you should be fine. I haven't had any issues with weight gain due to my underactive thyroid since I was diagnosed with it 10 years ago. Eating badly, and drinking too much on the other hand... lol

_tangy
12-10-2009, 09:21 AM

I had a terrible time with my weight for about ten years until i cut daily carbs down to <=20/day and eliminated cardio completely. i did that for about two months and discovered a couple of things:

1. I had had undiagnosed celiac disease all my life - it's common in autoimmune triggered thyroid dysfunction, like Hashimoto's. I have Hashimoto's. It follows that a gluten free diet is essential for me to feel normal.

2. I function well on a diet high in protein and fat. I only consume low GI vegetables and negligible amounts of fruit. I get most of my carbs from the aforementioned veggies, nuts, and dairy. Absolutely no sugar or refined starches, no potaotes, and whole grains like rice or oats are a rare treat.

While there are common issues with underactive thyroid (like disproportionate abdominal fat), I've found every woman I've ever talked to experiences the symptoms and gets to the solution a little differently. Hope you find what works for you - best of luck!

fitbliss
12-20-2009, 10:22 PM

Do you have a bloodwork report that confirms the thyroid issue? Most people with thyroid issues have very specific symptoms. I, for instance, do not have weight issues, but do have low ferritin(iron storage), low grad anemia, hair loss and tightness in the throat. My doctor ordered a blood work for thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), T4 and T3 hormones, plus blood count , cortisol and ferritin. Endocrinology is a one of the most unknown fields of modern medicine. If you really have issues with your thyroid, you can diet until the cows come home and still get nowhere. I hate medication, but in this case it would be necessary in order for you to progress

mavrick77
12-21-2009, 08:25 AM
lol..I know what you mean!! I worked with a girl that was 5 foot tall and weighed over 200lbs..she said she had a thyroid problem, but all she ever did was eat candy and fast food!!

I noticed the OP has not replied....so maybe its not a "Medical thyroid problem" but the gummy bear thyroid problem, they tend to slow down your thyroid, or so the 300lb women have told me.

solstice
12-24-2009, 05:03 AM
If you are already on a thyroid medication, if it's been 6 weeks and you're still having problems losing, you may want to talk to your doctor about a med that offers T3 supplementation as well as the T4. Many women especially do ALOT better with the combo T3/T4 rather than just the T4 alone (Synthroid is a T4 only med and unfortunately the most widely prescribed- yet so many women seem to still have symptoms on it). I would highly recommend Thyrolar, but the company is in a legal bind right now and they arent manufacturing- hopefully early 2010 they'll be back in production. But in the meantime, Levoxyl with a side order of Cytomel seems to work well.

I started on the Synthroid and it never *touched* my symptoms- even though my T4 levels were spot on. Also- women tend to do best with a T4 level between 1-2... Personally I feel best between .5 and 1.25. But- as others have said- this is only a small part of the equation... Good luck!

solstice
12-24-2009, 05:07 AM
Do you have a bloodwork report that confirms the thyroid issue? Most people with thyroid issues have very specific symptoms. I, for instance, do not have weight issues, but do have low ferritin(iron storage), low grad anemia, hair loss and tightness in the throat. My doctor ordered a blood work for thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), T4 and T3 hormones, plus blood count , cortisol and ferritin. Endocrinology is a one of the most unknown fields of modern medicine. If you really have issues with your thyroid, you can diet until the cows come home and still get nowhere. I hate medication, but in this case it would be necessary in order for you to progress

You can still lose with thyroid issues- it just takes a bit more work. It probably also depends on how severe the problem is. The bigger the deficit, the more work it would take to work around it... And at some point- I guess that could translate into impossible- but for the moderate thyroid issue? It's still do-able. Maybe not to competition grade without getting the levels into perfect balance, but certainly do-able to get into good shape. :)

solstice
12-24-2009, 05:10 AM

Most docs won't prescribe T3, (Cytomel is a T3 supplement- this doesn't do anything for hypothyroid levels as that deals with T4 levels.) However, many people do alot better with the addition of that T3 supp. The first thing that a doc would likely prescribe would be Synthroid- or possibly Levoxyl. (Both T4 only).

Hannah73Louise
12-24-2009, 05:14 AM
I've been put on Levothyroxine - do you know if that's the same thing as sythroid?

andrerox80
12-24-2009, 06:40 AM
i've been on synthroid since i was 8 (savvy pediatrician caught me young) and it's worked for me

Crematia
12-24-2009, 07:08 AM

Fitbliss, what did your doctor do for you? I have similar symptoms and have resisted being put on meds so far, despite what my Dr. recommended, I may just end up trying it soon.

solstice
12-24-2009, 07:56 AM
I've been put on Levothyroxine - do you know if that's the same thing as sythroid?

Yep- it's a T4 only med- basically the same thing as Synthroid- just a different brand.

DUMB BELLE
12-24-2009, 03:05 PM

Please PLEASE seek the advice of an endocrinologist BEFORE undertaking any lifestyle changes or listening to any of the advice here (eg: train harder etc.)
Has your thyroid problem been diagnosed? Do they know what the ROOT cause of the problem is? If it is the result of cortisol imbalance or adrenal depletion or anything along those lines exercise can make it even worse and so just perpetuate the cycle.
Please first get a thorough diagnosis!

fitbliss
01-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Fitbliss, what did your doctor do for you? I have similar symptoms and have resisted being put on meds so far, despite what my Dr. recommended, I may just end up trying it soon.

Sorry it took me forever to respond. This thread had died and I did not realize someone had posted a question directed to me. My doctor put me on Armour thyroid. I took it for a while, mainly because I had depression and refused to take antidepressants. I am not sure if it helped with anything, because I also started taking St. John's wort and finally started feeling better after being depressed for 5 months. I had low T3 levels and "normal" TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone). I started at 15mg, which is the smallest dose- starting slowly- and then upped to 30 mg. After a week on 30, I developed heightened anxiety and a little wired shaking. I stopped. I was already pretty thin looking, but I did not get any thinner. My breasts grew a bit and now they feel sore before menses. The doctor THINKS that the T3/T$ regulated my progesterone levels and THAT is why my breasts grew and my depression went away. Coincidence? I don't know for sure. After I stopped taking the med, though, I was able to put on some weight, which was actually welcome. If you would like to ask in more detail, PM me any time.

fitbliss
01-01-2010, 05:15 PM
You can still lose with thyroid issues- it just takes a bit more work. It probably also depends on how severe the problem is. The bigger the deficit, the more work it would take to work around it... And at some point- I guess that could translate into impossible- but for the moderate thyroid issue? It's still do-able. Maybe not to competition grade without getting the levels into perfect balance, but certainly do-able to get into good shape. :)

Absolutely. I should have worded it better to represent what you just said. I meant to say that, if she had a serious thyroid issue, medicine MIGHT be the only solution for her. Good catch. But as a previous poster suggested- it might not really be a thyroid issue...