PDA

View Full Version : pear shaped women and losing stubborn hip fat

nvrl8
12-04-2009, 11:42 AM
I have lost 50 pounds in the last 8 months and 14% bodyfat and 33 inches. I am at 24% bodyfat. I look very skinny around shoulders and chest- ribs showing and bones on upper body. My arms are muscular but I am having a very difficult time losing fat around my hips and legs (saddlebags). I work legs and arms both twice a week and do lots of cardio. I know some of this may be hormonal or maybe not- anyone have advice. I am a size 4 and now weigh 120-124 at 5'3" and 46 years old.

nunu713
12-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Unfortunately, we can't pick and choose where fat comes off our bodies - your body will drop it wherever it's genetically coded to drop it.

Some people say their abs are the last to drop, others say their glutes or quads - everybody's different.

Just keep doing what your doing - your hips will come around!

kimm4
12-04-2009, 12:06 PM
I have lost 50 pounds in the last 8 months and 14% bodyfat and 33 inches. I am at 24% bodyfat. I look very skinny around shoulders and chest- ribs showing and bones on upper body. My arms are muscular but I am having a very difficult time losing fat around my hips and legs (saddlebags). I work legs and arms both twice a week and do lots of cardio. I know some of this may be hormonal or maybe not- anyone have advice. I am a size 4 and now weigh 120-124 at 5'3" and 46 years old.

It's a matter of needing to drop more body fat. All this means is these are the spots where you carry more. We all have those trouble spots.

Keep the diet tight as this is key for getting the results.

Congrats on your weight loss!

nvrl8
12-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks ladies. I do have more body fat to lose but Im getting family and friends telling me that Im too skinny already. Im trying to gain muscle and lose the fat - maybe cutting down on cardio and doing more lifting may be key and DIET of course.
Id love more suggestiions .. keep em coming. Thanks!

kimm4
12-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks ladies. I do have more body fat to lose but Im getting family and friends telling me that Im too skinny already. Im trying to gain muscle and lose the fat - maybe cutting down on cardio and doing more lifting may be key and DIET of course.

That's it right there, you need to focus on diet and intense weight training sessions. Cardio should be last on the list especially when trying to retain/add lean muscle.

Let you diet do the work for you!

aznprincess
12-04-2009, 01:15 PM

remember that family members are used to seeing you over weight so the new you is going to be hard for them to get used to. don't let their comments deter you. if you're at 25% body fat, you're definitely not too thin.

Holly2710
12-04-2009, 02:30 PM
I have the exact same problem. I have done EVERYTHING! to get rid of it, but to no avail. I actually learned to accept my body and instead of a no carb, 2 hour cardio sessions I'm focusing now more on muscle and I've noticed that I no longer platue. Worry about being healthy and it will come off slowly, but surely. Good luck!

aussiemommy
12-04-2009, 02:56 PM
That's it right there, you need to focus on diet and intense weight training sessions. Cardio should be last on the list especially when trying to retain/add lean muscle.

Let you diet do the work for you!

this ^^

I'm managing to gain muscle and lose fat (slowly but surely) by eating 1800-1900 calories a day (no less), working out 3 times a week for ~30 minutes (lifting heavy) and keeping the cardio to a minimum. I still go for walks with my son in the pram but I don't do jogging or anything really intense, I'm just focusing on the weights and nutrition. I've noticed a drop in my upperbody fat and around my waist. My diet has been the key to the change, which I stick to every day with just the occasional cheat meal (like when it was my birthday I had cake, that sort of thing).

I am pear shaped too, and my legs and butt are the last places to hang on to fat, but I'm just sticking to the plan and so far it is going well. It's a bit of a fine line getting the calorie balance right, but once you find the right level the results should be more noticeable.

aussiemommy
12-04-2009, 03:01 PM
remember that family members are used to seeing you over weight so the new you is going to be hard for them to get used to. don't let their comments deter you. if you're at 25% body fat, you're definitely not too thin.

I got that too, when I was 23 and lost a lot of fat due to weight training. My husband says my whole family were talking about me behind my back saying "ooh, she's too skinny...blah blah" :rolleyes:

Bobbia
12-05-2009, 12:37 AM
I look very skinny around shoulders and chest- ribs showing and bones on upper body. My arms are muscular but I am having a very difficult time losing fat around my hips and legs (saddlebags).

Same here. After eating way better than usual for the last 2-3 months I notice that my saddlebags are a bit less prominent. But my already bony chest looks a little bonier too lol.

Holly2710
12-05-2009, 06:03 AM
When I lost weight I lost my breasts, I dont know if anyone else had that issue, but do you guys know of anywway to reverse it, other than surgery?

IronCitGrl
12-05-2009, 07:44 AM
When I lost weight I lost my breasts, I dont know if anyone else had that issue, but do you guys know of anywway to reverse it, other than surgery?

You can't reverse it unless you gain back the body fat. Your breast tissue is made up of fat and if you are losing body fat then your genetics will determine how much of your breast tissue will go along with it. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about it besides going under the knife or learning to appreciate your body as is.

mytam302
12-05-2009, 09:01 AM
You have the family curse-"curves!!!" LOL! I have this same issue. I lost a whole cup size in my chest before 2 inches moved on my hips!!! Keep doing the cardio to lean out the lower body and to shape it. Try lifting heavier or more reps building muscle for your upper body so your portions can look more in line. Watch your diet but most of all, your genetics will determine the final results.

nvrl8
12-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Great advice ladies. I have stopped working out for a few days to take a break. Ive been doing 7 days/6 days a week training and am getting burned out. So ive taken a break and have been eating like crazy and not gained any weight- Im sure my metabolism is alot higher than it was but eating like this can only happen for so long before gaining back I know. Felt good, but know I have to get back to business. I feel like Im starting over but from a good place now. Im rested and ready to start training differently.
I was doing tons of cardio and interval training with low weight and 15+ reps. I have lost my weight and now I need to gain more muscle and lower my bodyfat. Tricky stuff I think but losing the weight in the beginning was tricky too. I just have to tweek things now.

Yes, less cardio, more weight - less reps to build muscle with more rest between sets and DIET! I do know that 25% bodyfat is higher but I was at 40%!!! What is a good healthy bodyfat for a 40+ year old woman who wants to look good? I know the lower I go with this bodyfat my hips and butt will start looking better to me. I carried alot of weight in my butt- I had a big butt. I have lots of loose skin there now too? Will it firm up? Yes my boobs are gone now too- I was a B cup and am now an A. I am thinking seriously about augmentation. Anyone know of a good doc in Columbus, Ohio. Any advice for me?

Anyone know of any good routines to build muscle in the legs and butt? I have a flat butt now - went from J lopez butt to no butt!

aussiemommy
12-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Anyone know of any good routines to build muscle in the legs and butt? I have a flat butt now - went from J lopez butt to no butt!

I'm getting good results in the 'butt-lifting' area just doing squats, deadlifts and occasionally lunges, making sure I lift heavy. My butt has lifted noteceably in the last 8 weeks (see progress pics on bodyspace).

Bobbia
12-08-2009, 03:08 AM
I'm getting good results in the 'butt-lifting' area just doing squats, deadlifts and occasionally lunges, making sure I lift heavy. My butt has lifted noteceably in the last 8 weeks (see progress pics on bodyspace).
How much weight do you squat, dl and lunge with currently? I'm curious. I definitely see your progress.

nvrl8
12-08-2009, 07:07 AM
How much weight do you squat, dl and lunge with currently? I'm curious. I definitely see your progress.

you can see her results. very nice. However, I have cellulite and some loose skin around my behind after losing 50 pounds. Dont know if the loose skin will firm up being that Im 46 years old but heres to hoping anb using some good moisturizer.
Her butt looks great in the before and after actually no cellulite that I can see. You look great girl!
Ive been doing squats and lunges but must not be using enough weight. Id like to know how much weight she is using too. I use around 100# for squats and 20# dumbbells for lunges and 30# barbell if doing stepups on a bench.

aussiemommy
12-08-2009, 01:18 PM
My gym doesn't have a squat rack so I have to use the cable smith machine for squats, and on Monday I squatted 190lbs.
I'm deadlifting 99lbs, but that's nearly the highest size barbell my little gym has so I'm going to have to come up with other ways to target my hamstrings.
Last time I lunged I used 2x19.8lb dumbbells, but probably could have gone higher in hindsight.

you can see her results. very nice. However, I have cellulite and some loose skin around my behind after losing 50 pounds. Dont know if the loose skin will firm up being that Im 46 years old but heres to hoping anb using some good moisturizer.
Her butt looks great in the before and after actually no cellulite that I can see. You look great girl!
Ive been doing squats and lunges but must not be using enough weight. Id like to know how much weight she is using too. I use around 100# for squats and 20# dumbbells for lunges and 30# barbell if doing stepups on a bench.

oh, I do have cellulite! The flash on my camera masks it, but it's there! Admittedly though, since my muscles have strengthened underneath, the cellulite is looking a lot better, and the lower my bodyfat goes the less that should be visible over time (well that's the goal at least).

Bobbia
12-08-2009, 01:44 PM
:( I use free weights and can only squat 40lbs! And I mean 3 sets of 6 reps. I have been squatting regularly for about two months maybe? And I just got to the point to be able to do 40lbs. I'm worried I'm not progressing enough. When I flex I definitely see and feel some muscle up and down the front of my thighs but the back of 'em and my tushie...no bueno! I have a lot of fat around my under-arse(not the cheeks, the area UNDER the cheeks lol!) and in my saddlebags though, so maybe there is some happy muscle under there.

Bobbia
12-08-2009, 01:51 PM
How long did it take you to work your way up from squatting zero to 190lbs approximately? If the answer is years I won't feel too bad haha. ;)

nvrl8
12-08-2009, 02:12 PM
My gym doesn't have a squat rack so I have to use the cable smith machine for squats, and on Monday I squatted 190lbs.
I'm deadlifting 99lbs, but that's nearly the highest size barbell my little gym has so I'm going to have to come up with other ways to target my hamstrings.
Last time I lunged I used 2x19.8lb dumbbells, but probably could have gone higher in hindsight.

oh, I do have cellulite! The flash on my camera masks it, but it's there! Admittedly though, since my muscles have strengthened underneath, the cellulite is looking a lot better, and the lower my bodyfat goes the less that should be visible over time (well that's the goal at least).

well you look great really! Giving me some motivation and hope that my cellulite with go away and I will firm up with more work. Im doing legs tonight and am going to see how high I can go with the squat. I use the smith machine just because I dont have a spotter. how many reps/sets are you doing?

aussiemommy
12-08-2009, 09:06 PM
How long did it take you to work your way up from squatting zero to 190lbs approximately? If the answer is years I won't feel too bad haha. ;)
I'm just having a look at my workout tracker now.....the earliest squats I have recorded there were on Oct 26, after I had already been training about 2 weeks. I did front barbell squats, and it was 44lbs. If I was still able to do proper BB squats (if my gym had a rack), I'm not really sure how much I would be squatting now.

On Nov 16 I squatted 66lbs, but that was as high as I could go doing front BB squats, so I then had to move on to the cable smith machine. I went straight to 120lbs on that machine doing squats, on Nov 23, and now it's Dec 9 and I'm doing 190lbs as above. I am starting to slow down with the progression, just slightly, but I guess that is normal. I'm usually better on Monday when I've had 2 whole days break between workouts.

well you look great really! Giving me some motivation and hope that my cellulite with go away and I will firm up with more work. Im doing legs tonight and am going to see how high I can go with the squat. I use the smith machine just because I dont have a spotter. how many reps/sets are you doing?

Thank you!
I do 3 sets, 5 - 12 reps. On my workout B days (Squats, Military presses, bent over rows, sometimes crunches), I'm usually in and out of the gym in 20 minutes, it's great!

This whole thing has been way easier than I thought it would be. Back in October something just 'clicked' in my head and I knew this was it, I was ready to make the lifestyle change for good, and I have found it so easy to stick to eating the right food (1800-1900 cals). My body has responded really well to the right training and nutrition, I'm really excited about the year ahead. Just gotta get through Christmas now :D

Nightbird573
12-08-2009, 09:21 PM
:( I use free weights and can only squat 40lbs! And I mean 3 sets of 6 reps. I have been squatting regularly for about two months maybe? And I just got to the point to be able to do 40lbs. I'm worried I'm not progressing enough. When I flex I definitely see and feel some muscle up and down the front of my thighs but the back of 'em and my tushie...no bueno! I have a lot of fat around my under-arse(not the cheeks, the area UNDER the cheeks lol!) and in my saddlebags though, so maybe there is some happy muscle under there.

It's easier to go heavier on squats with a barbell than with dumbbells, in my opinion. If you want to hit your hamstrings and your glutes then try doing deadlifts, lying leg curls, lunges, cable pull throughs, good mornings, ATG squats with a glute squeeze at the top of the lift, leg presses(vary your feet placement to hit different areas), hack squats, bridges, and step-ups with weights.

Bobbia
12-09-2009, 01:15 AM
I guess i can see wow barbell squatting would be easier. I do deadlifts but I need to buy heavier weights because I feel I can do a few too many reps. I gotta look up hack squats!

Bobbia
12-09-2009, 01:19 AM
I just did. I think I'll die if I do them. They look beyond tough!! :o

IronCitGrl
12-09-2009, 07:47 AM
It's easier to go heavier on squats with a barbell than with dumbbells, in my opinion. If you want to hit your hamstrings and your glutes then try doing deadlifts, lying leg curls, lunges, cable pull throughs, good mornings, ATG squats with a glute squeeze at the top of the lift, leg presses(vary your feet placement to hit different areas), hack squats, bridges, and step-ups with weights.

Bobbia, I think if you can do squats with two 20 lb dumbbells then you should be able to do them with the 45lb bar. I was worried when I had to make that transition but it really is easier (despite being 5 lbs heavier) with the barbell. In fact it's a better way to increase the amount of weight your squatting then to upgrade to two 25 lb dumbbells which would be 10 lbs heavier.