PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition for breastfeeding mom

Efferus-era
12-02-2009, 08:58 AM
I have a 4 month old baby and am nursing so I'm finding it difficult to create a meal plan to go with my workout that won't decrease my milk supply but still allow me to shed the baby weight. I'm currently working out 4-5 days a week weight training and doing about 20 min of cardio afterwards. Anyone have any suggestions, online resources etc. that will help me figure this out? All comments appreciated! Thanks.

Tarah1218
12-02-2009, 12:22 PM
If you are worried about milk supply you can take Fenugreek (in tablet form or tea form) to help keep your supply up.

I am nursing and have been steadily losing weight, 1 pound a week for his age. He is 6mo and I am down 25 pds. I'm monitored by a dietician but my girlfriend who had a baby 2 months after me just simply replaced all her snacks with fruit, drinks water like crazy, oatmeal with breakfast (good for your milk supply too), and loads up on veges with her lunch and dinner instead of cooking muffins or rolls to go with it. We both avoid the processed food isles, everything is made from scratch. I know she doesn't count calories and has had no problem with her milk. She also nurses on demand though and her daughter eats every 2-2.5 hours and she co-sleeps so she nurses several times at night, which I am sure helps her supply a lot. She is down a pant size since she had her daughter, had 1 more to go until her prepregnancy size, she refuses to step on a scale so I am not sure how much weight she has lost.

Efferus-era
12-02-2009, 01:28 PM
If you are worried about milk supply you can take Fenugreek (in tablet form or tea form) to help keep your supply up.

I am nursing and have been steadily losing weight, 1 pound a week for his age. He is 6mo and I am down 25 pds. I'm monitored by a dietician but my girlfriend who had a baby 2 months after me just simply replaced all her snacks with fruit, drinks water like crazy, oatmeal with breakfast (good for your milk supply too), and loads up on veges with her lunch and dinner instead of cooking muffins or rolls to go with it. We both avoid the processed food isles, everything is made from scratch. I know she doesn't count calories and has had no problem with her milk. She also nurses on demand though and her daughter eats every 2-2.5 hours and she co-sleeps so she nurses several times at night, which I am sure helps her supply a lot. She is down a pant size since she had her daughter, had 1 more to go until her prepregnancy size, she refuses to step on a scale so I am not sure how much weight she has lost.

I lost 20lbs in the first few weeks after my daughter's birth then it just stopped when I hit 147lbs. That was over 2 months ago. I was about 125 before I got pregnant. Like your friend I nurse on demand and she's probably eating as frequently if not more throughout the day. We also co-sleep and I feed her 2 - 3 times a night as well. As it stands now the supply is fine but I was worried that cutting some calories and incorporating the weight training and cardio might cause it to diminish somewhat. With the constant nursing you'd think it would just be falling off LOL. No such luck.

I'll keep the Fenugreek in mind for sure. Maybe instead of worrying about it I should just see what happens and adjust the diet to incorporate more calories or items that will improve supply as needed. Just not sure how many calories I should consume in a day including the added 500 for nursing but still allow for weight loss.

sgtmom1
12-03-2009, 11:43 PM
I lost 20lbs in the first few weeks after my daughter's birth then it just stopped when I hit 147lbs. That was over 2 months ago. I was about 125 before I got pregnant. Like your friend I nurse on demand and she's probably eating as frequently if not more throughout the day. We also co-sleep and I feed her 2 - 3 times a night as well. As it stands now the supply is fine but I was worried that cutting some calories and incorporating the weight training and cardio might cause it to diminish somewhat. With the constant nursing you'd think it would just be falling off LOL. No such luck.

I'll keep the Fenugreek in mind for sure. Maybe instead of worrying about it I should just see what happens and adjust the diet to incorporate more calories or items that will improve supply as needed. Just not sure how many calories I should consume in a day including the added 500 for nursing but still allow for weight loss.

You body will maintain a certain amount of body fat to provide for the baby that is why it plateaus that is the body mechanism from keeping the baby from robbing you. If you cut calories the baby will everything it needs from you. including your vitamin and mineral stores (i.e., calcium=bones). It will also retain everything you eat and not let anything go, you will keep the weight and gain more because it thinks you are starving. I would not worry about a scale just how your pants fit if they are getting looser, you are doing fine.

I nursed #1-6 mons, #2- 6 weeks, #3- 13 mons, #4- 16 mons, #5 18+mons--There was over lap with the last two. All of mine were voracious eaters. #2 was premie and basically refused me because I did not provide enough in his mind. #1 figured out I was pregnant with #2, #3(my girl) I went to military school and stopped cold turkey, very painful to say the least.

Keep at it, you are doing fine and what is best for the baby.