PDA

View Full Version : Fasted Cardio and Lifting Sessions

hope2bme
12-01-2009, 03:39 PM
I hope this is the right forum for this question...

I do 1/2 hr of lifting and 1/2 hr of cardio Mon-Fri at 5 a.m..

Eating ANYTHING that early in the morning literally makes me retch. SO I do all my workouts on an empty stomach. I typically eat a small breakfast at 9:30 a.m. and nothing after 8 p.m.

I have read alot of conflicting opinions on the subject but it sounds like I may be minimizing the benefits I am getting from lifting by working out "fasted".

Eating isn't an option for me that early and I can't change my workout time HOWEVER I could try to gag down one cup of milk before getting to the gym or something else like that...

Would that be beneficial or should I just not worry about it?

Thanks a bunch :-)

Surf_N_Turf
12-01-2009, 05:21 PM
I also train in the morning at around 5:00 fasted and it's had no negative impact on my body composition/workout intensity vs. when I trained in the afternoon. I have a shake right after and breakfast about an hour after that. Everyone has different experiences/opinions though.

djz227
12-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Like you, I workout in the early morning - I start about 6:45 and always fasted. I drink a glass of water and take some vitamins first and have coffee and breakfast right after. I didn't notice any difference during the summer when schedule change forced me to workout afternoons as I refuse to get out of bed before 5:45 am.
IMO regardless of what the literature and studies say you have to do what works for you. Retching, gagging, feeling ill will definitely have a negative impact on your training.
That said I guess it also depends on your goals. I'm not looking to compete or grow some awesome big muscles. I just want to be lean and fit, and feel & look good.