PDA

View Full Version : good quality/bad quality protein powder?

eleni611
12-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Every time I read the threads on here about protein powder everybody seems to rave about ON protein powder. (I'm talking about whey.) It's just so expensive! I buy the Pure Protein whey protein powder that they sell at Target. I think it's like $15 or $20...is there a reason it's so cheap? Is it bad quality?

If you scroll down a bit you'll see the nutrition label and the ingredients...the link won't work, but if you type in "*********" where the ******** is, it should work.

http://www6.*********.com/wws_pure_protein_100_whey_protein_powder.html

woodenshoes055
12-01-2009, 10:14 AM
I'm not an expert in protein powder or anything, but not all protein powders are created equal. You want the 100% whey protein powder, I think this is the best bang for your buck. Whether it's generic or name brand I don't think it really matters. A lot depends on your taste and preferences. Sometimes the generic brand doesn't mix as well (it'll be all chunky and tastes kinda nasty) compared to some of the name brand.

But like I said I'm no expert, but get the 100%, from there I don't think it matters what kind you get as long as you find a kind you like.

Emoore
12-01-2009, 10:38 AM
The cheaper wheys tend to be concentrates instead of isolates. Isolates are more bio-available for your body. Some folks say that the cheaper ones give them gas. Other than that, the difference is mixability and taste.

IronOrchid
12-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Every time I read the threads on here about protein powder everybody seems to rave about ON protein powder. (I'm talking about whey.) It's just so expensive! I buy the Pure Protein whey protein powder that they sell at Target. I think it's like $15 or $20...is there a reason it's so cheap? Is it bad quality?

If you scroll down a bit you'll see the nutrition label and the ingredients...the link won't work, but if you type in "*********" where the ******** is, it should work.

http://www6.*********.com/wws_pure_protein_100_whey_protein_powder.html
I love Pure Protein whey vanilla! It is my favorite now, it is very tasty, it mixes very easy and it has no artificial sweetener aftertaste. And yes, its price is good and I even used coupons!

Personally, I prefer pure whey protein: I haven't noticed any difference in my body while taking isolate. And isolate is less tasty, less rich and more expensive. I'm sure, in general isolate might be better than whey protein but not for me.

Kristinwd
12-02-2009, 06:39 PM
The cheaper wheys tend to be concentrates instead of isolates. Isolates are more bio-available for your body. Some folks say that the cheaper ones give them gas. Other than that, the difference is mixability and taste.

Its funny you say that because my fiance buys the cheaper stuff and always burps a lot after. I think where going to pay the extra 10 or 15 dollars for the EAS or something