PDA

View Full Version : To cut or bulk?

Redhot-85
11-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Hey guys,

Just a quick question i have with regards to what i need to be doing to reach my goals.Im looking to get down to 16% BF which im hoping to acheive by Jan 2010.Im currently 19% and weigh about 123lbs.For the past month ive lost around 5lbs but my BF has only decreased by about 0.5%:(

What im unsure of is why my BF hasnt dropped much.Ive previously posted on here before with my meal plans and training plan.Both of which seem to be ok,i think.I was just wondering shall i continue what im doing or add more weights to my programe.Im worried i losing to much muscle as the BF just isnt shifting.

Anyway,rant over.lol.Any advice??

freebirdmac
11-30-2009, 12:23 PM
You are far too hung up on numbers. Body fat measurements aren't accurate enough for what you're trying to measure. Who cares about the numbers anyway. What's important is how do you look? Your weight is fine. If you think you have to lose another 3-4 pounds then I'd suspect it's time for some muscle gains. When we keep losing, and getting smaller, but looking the same, it really means we need that underlying support.

aznprincess
11-30-2009, 01:08 PM
^^^

this was exactly the case for myself. i started at 120lbs and 5'9"...yes, this is underweight and i didn't see any abs and was about 20% bodyfat. (guesstimate)

i'm currently ending my first bulk after gaining almost 20lbs since august...about 2.5 of those were from thanksgiving lol.

Redhot-85
11-30-2009, 01:19 PM
^^^

this was exactly the case for myself. i started at 120lbs and 5'9"...yes, this is underweight and i didn't see any abs and was about 20% bodyfat. (guesstimate)

i'm currently ending my first bulk after gaining almost 20lbs since august...about 2.5 of those were from thanksgiving lol.

im glad im not alone.lol.its just so frustrating.i have seen a little change in my shape but seem to hold all my bodyfat on my stomach.so annoying!!! my arms are quite toned and my legs im really happy with.i guess ive just got to be patient and stick with it.This site is awesome though!! The knowledge ive gained here has been so valuable.Ive spent so many years doing the wrong thing yet putting myself through hell.Finally im starting to see some results and its down to the guidelines ive read from here:)

kimm4
11-30-2009, 08:03 PM
Hey guys,

Just a quick question i have with regards to what i need to be doing to reach my goals.Im looking to get down to 16% BF which im hoping to acheive by Jan 2010.Im currently 19% and weigh about 123lbs.For the past month ive lost around 5lbs but my BF has only decreased by about 0.5%:(

What im unsure of is why my BF hasnt dropped much.Ive previously posted on here before with my meal plans and training plan.Both of which seem to be ok,i think.I was just wondering shall i continue what im doing or add more weights to my programe.Im worried i losing to much muscle as the BF just isnt shifting.

Yeah a few things. The first thing I noticed in the other thread was your numbers look off to me. You're using a 40/40/20 but it doesn't look like you're getting 150 g of protein based on the meal choices and it looks like you take in more carbs, so there's an off balance somewhere. 1500 calories should be working, but I would switch up the macro breakdown to 45p/25c/30f and see if this helps. Keep in mind the extra calories that you're adding for coffee, juice, etc...(I think that's what you said) will affect you, because it's extra calories that don't fit in your plan.

Maybe focus on dropping a tad bit more body fat, but you need to start focus on building. You're at the lower end of the scale for your height, so you don't have enough lean mass to with which makes things more difficult.

Cardio 6x a week is also a problem and you need to cut back. When in a deficit too much cardio can cause a net loss of muscle. Kick your weight training up a notch. Focus on heavier weights using a 6-10 rep range and really push yourself.

So make these few adjustments, throw in and extra day off and cut back on the cardio. Let your diet do the work for you.

Redhot-85
12-01-2009, 01:32 AM
Thankyou for the feedback Kimm:)I will defo start mixing things up and increasing my weights.i really appreciate all the advice i can get so thanks again for the reply.

IronCitGrl
12-01-2009, 07:43 AM
Hey guys,

Your bodyfat isn't dropping because you need more lean body mass. You don't need to lose fat you need to eat more and gain muscle.