View Full Version : Tony Dungy thinks Favre is the leading MVP candidate

Madanzi
11-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Ahead of Peyton Manning

He just said it live..

( I agree)

Masstastic
11-29-2009, 06:54 PM
Brett Favre will win MVP because hes Brett Favre.

Jeremy90
11-29-2009, 06:55 PM
because Brett has brought his team farther. The vikings were not a 10 win season last year

manofmany
11-29-2009, 06:57 PM
You won't get much of an argument from Colts fans. Favre is playing better ball and probably the best of his career.

PatrickBateman1
11-29-2009, 06:57 PM
That's because Brett IS the leading MVP candidate.

Not only has Favre turned that team into a serious Super Bowl contender, but he's also leading the league in pretty much every important stat. He's actually thrown the fewest INT's out of any starting QB. He's also first in QB rating and second in TD's thrown.

Peyton has won games but he's certainly not playing as good as he has in the past. He's made quite a few uncharacteristic mistakes has quite a few more interceptions than a lot of other top ranked QB's. He's still top 5 in the MVP race, but Favre has been considerably better.

Jyeatbvg
11-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Every year on his birthday, Brett Favre chooses one lucky boy and throws him into the Sun (srs)

WheyneNewton
11-29-2009, 07:02 PM
Manning has found a way to win games but Favre is dominating, no contest as of right now

xzp
11-29-2009, 07:03 PM
And he might as well be.
Ridiculous numbers, 24 td's 3 picks (the picks is the sick part, considering how he's always been pick-happy)
If the Vikings finish 15-1 he's atleast a top 3 candidate.

Now, if the Colts or the Saints win out..their QB automatically gets the MVP, because of sick numbers and finishing unbeaten.

Also, Dark Horse = Chris Johnson. Dude could hit 2k yards this year.

Crazy Scenario = Saints go 16-0, Colts go 16-0, Vikings finish 15-1 and Chris Johnson gets 2k yards.

4-way TIE FOR MVP!

Madanzi
11-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Not only has Favre turned that team into a serious Super Bowl contender, but he's also leading the league in pretty much every important stat. He's actually thrown the fewest INT's out of any starting QB.

It's been this way (statistically) for a few weeks now, though. Seems alot of people haven't really started to jump over until today. I was pretty much convinced after watching the colts in the 49ers game (to contrast, see vikings vs 49ers).

Madanzi
11-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Manning has found a way to win games but Favre is dominating, no contest as of right now

I bet Brett Favre can throw a boy into the sun under water. I can't even throw a football 2 yards under water.

grrp28
11-29-2009, 07:12 PM
only 3 picks and a ridiculous qb rating..favre def deserves it.

and if aaron rodgers team was doing better and he didnt get sacked every 5 seconds he would be considered too...its amazing that he has only thrown 5 picks when he gets so much pressure on him

TheDude1987
11-29-2009, 07:24 PM
I hate saying I agree. If it weren't for the INT difference between him and Peyton I would lean the other way.

justin8684
11-30-2009, 06:48 AM
As a Packer fan, I could go through every little excuse and B.S. tirade as to discount everything Favre has done & find ways to take credit away from him and attribute it to those around him... but I can't. The guy is having an awesome season and I can honestly say that having watched him for every season he was in Green Bay, I've never seen him play at this high of a level for this many games in a row in a season. He's playing out of his mind & deserves the MVP. No way is Minnesota 10-1 crushing people like they are without him in there at QB.

bking10
11-30-2009, 06:59 AM
the thing is, Manning hasnt been all that impressive lately. hes had like 4 straight games of 2 interceptions. Its the defense that has been winning the games for us as of late.

Messiahtype
11-30-2009, 07:01 AM
I think Manning is still MVP. MVP = Most Valuable Player.

Vikings were 10-6 last year without Favre.
Colts would be 4-12 without Manning.

justin8684
11-30-2009, 07:36 AM
Yeah, Minnesota was 10-6 last year, but they already have 10 wins in 11 games this year. They'd be a borderline playoff team without him (only way they'd get in is if they beat out GB for the division) and they'd be a Wild Card at best... with Favre, they are in the hunt for homefield advantage and that's huge for dome teams. Who's to say what the Colts record would be without Manning? It obviously won't be as good as it is now but who's to say it'd be as bad as a 4-12 team? Hard to say when we've never seen the Colts without Manning, but we have seen how much better the Vikings are with Favre.

beer n brats
11-30-2009, 07:51 AM
I think Manning is still MVP. MVP = Most Valuable Player.

Vikings were 10-6 last year without Favre.
Colts would be 4-12 without Manning.

i disagree. the vikings were a 10 win team, but nothing more than a one and done playoff filler. and the goal of all teams is to win the SB and thats what favres presence gives them. say what you want but just because they won 10 games doesnt mean they were a SB contender. favre gives them what they need for a SB win and that means his VALUE to the team and their SB hopes shouldnt be question.

going into this season, i remember a lot of people saying how minny had one of the worst WR corps...... and its true, but look at how they are playing when catching balls from favre. great players help make the players around them better like favre has ALWAYS done throughout his career. combine that with his beyond outstanding numbers and almost leading the league in every major category, you have to give it to him, especially if minny gets a first round bye and/or HFA. he's just been too good to deny.

as far a manning, i like the guy a lot. but he still has two all pro targets, and one of the best pass blocking o lines in the nfl, if not the best and their defense is also ranked very highly. manning is playing well, but nothing like in years past. he just hasnt impressed like he did in the past or how favre is this year. the fact that they've been squeaking out close wins shows without that great defense they might not have a chance in those games because they have fell behind a lot in those games yet still win. thats saying the defense a shutting down and giving them a chance and or keeping them in it.

quietstormx1
11-30-2009, 07:52 AM
because Brett has brought his team farther. The vikings were not a 10 win season last year

you sure about that brah?

http://i50.tinypic.com/23iw8dy.jpg

quietstormx1
11-30-2009, 08:00 AM
as far a manning, i like the guy a lot. but he still has two all pro targets, and one of the best pass blocking o lines in the nfl, if not the best and their defense is also ranked very highly. manning is playing well, but nothing like in years past. he just hasnt impressed like he did in the past or how favre is this year. the fact that they've been squeaking out close wins shows without that great defense they might not have a chance in those games because they have fell behind a lot in those games yet still win. thats saying the defense a shutting down and giving them a chance and or keeping them in it.

ive pointed it out before....prior to peyton manning, marvin harrison didnt have 1000yd receiving. 3 seasons. peytons 2nd season, harrisons all-pro career started.

if you take peyton away from the colts, theres no way they are anywhere near as good as they are.

Onita
11-30-2009, 08:18 AM
ive pointed it out before....prior to peyton manning, marvin harrison didnt have 1000yd receiving. 3 seasons. peytons 2nd season, harrisons all-pro career started.

if you take peyton away from the colts, theres no way they are anywhere near as good as they are.

Unfortunately, that's not the way that they vote for MVP. Its more of a player with the best stats on the best team.

IraHays
11-30-2009, 08:24 AM
MVP(ed's)

Evolutionary1
11-30-2009, 08:28 AM

have you seen harvin,rice or shiancoe's stats this year compared to any receiver on the team last year?
next

papi93
11-30-2009, 09:13 AM

Who was Sydney Rice before Favre joined the Vikings? Now Rice is top five in receiving yards.

Big_Spaz
11-30-2009, 09:40 AM
I think it's going to be a split. It will be Manning and Favre being Co-MVP's.

-Spaz

jkeithc82
11-30-2009, 09:59 AM
Who was Sydney Rice before Favre joined the Vikings? Now Rice is top five in receiving yards.

Sort of hard to develop when your QB is Gus Frerotte/Tavaris Jackson. As good as Rice has become, he's basically replaced Bernard Berrian (Vikings leading receiver last season), as his production has dropped off, so its not as if all players are made better because of Favre. As good as Favre has played this season, I'm inclined to believe that a 10 win team from last season could improve greatly just by inserting a competent QB in their lineup. Also acquiring the Offensive Rookie of the Year helps a bit in their success. Favre's had a great season, but he's not MVP in my opinion.

papi93
11-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Sort of hard to develop when your QB is Gus Frerotte/Tavaris Jackson. As good as Rice has become, he's basically replaced Bernard Berrian (Vikings leading receiver last season), as his production has dropped off, so its not as if all players are made better because of Favre. As good as Favre has played this season, I'm inclined to believe that a 10 win team from last season could improve greatly just by inserting a competent QB in their lineup. Also acquiring the Offensive Rookie of the Year helps a bit in their success. Favre's had a great season, but he's not MVP in my opinion.

Adrian Peterson was actually more productive last season. He's not running at the same level.

Berrian wasn't a top five receiver. The reason Berrian dropped is because he was injured and was overrated. The Vikings paid too much for him. Rice is in the mold of a Randy Moss...without the speed. He can jump and grab balls away from defenders. His hands are also very soft. Javon Walker is another one of these types of receivers. Without Favre, Walker went potential top five receiver to the scrap heap in Oakland.

Where did the INT go in Minnesota?

Onita
11-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Adrian Peterson was actually more productive last season. He's not running at the same level.

Berrian wasn't a top five receiver. The reason Berrian dropped is because he was injured and was overrated. The Vikings paid too much for him. Rice is in the mold of a Randy Moss...without the speed. He can jump and grab balls away from defenders. His hands are also very soft. Javon Walker is another one of these types of receivers. Without Favre, Walker went potential top five receiver to the scrap heap in Oakland.

Javon Walker's problem is he went to Oakland.

FYI, Petersen has more TD's and a .1 YPC less this year. I wouldn't call that much less productive. He's getting less touches because they can throw the ball.

jkeithc82
11-30-2009, 10:26 AM

I don't catch many Vikings games, but statistically he's right on pace with his production last season (a couple of carries per game less). The difference now is teams have to respect the pass, as now Minnesota has a balanced offense.

Berrian wasn't a top five receiver.

Neither is Rice. Top 5 in receiving yards maybe but he's not a top 5 receiver in the NFL.

They haven't been there for him thus far which is great for him (quite a change from the all-time interception leader). I still don't think he's MVP, but he's having a great season.

Evolutionary1
11-30-2009, 10:29 AM
I don't catch many Vikings games, but statistically he's right on pace with his production last season (a couple of carries per game less). The difference now is teams have to respect the pass, as now Minnesota has a balanced offense.

Neither is Rice. Top 5 in receiving yards maybe but he's not a top 5 receiver in the NFL.

They haven't been there for him thus far which is great for him (quite a change from the all-time interception leader). I still don't think he's MVP, but he's having a great season.
who is then?

jkeithc82
11-30-2009, 10:30 AM
who is then?

Chris Johnson. But unless the Titans basically win out, his team's record will probably prevent him from getting it.

papi93
11-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Javon Walker's problem is he went to Oakland.

FYI, Petersen has more TD's and a .1 YPC less this year. I wouldn't call that much less productive. He's getting less touches because they can throw the ball.

Walker went to the Broncos and fizzled out. That's why he ended up with Oakland.

Peterson is getting less carries so he should be fresher and getting more yards per carry.

jkeithc82
11-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Peterson is getting less carries so he should be fresher and getting more yards per carry.

He's averaging 2 less carries per game. He's also caught 6 more passes for 108 more yards than all of last season. His production has not dropped off.

papi93
11-30-2009, 10:48 AM
He's averaging 2 less carries per game. He's also caught 6 more passes for 108 more yards than all of last season. His production has not dropped off.

He's fumbled five times...a career high through only eleven games.

jkeithc82
11-30-2009, 10:52 AM
He's fumbled five times...a career high through only eleven games.

That doesn't mean his production is down, it means his carelessness is up. He's also got 2 more rushing TD's through 11 games than all of last season.

papi93
11-30-2009, 11:39 AM
That doesn't mean his production is down, it means his carelessness is up. He's also got 2 more rushing TD's through 11 games than all of last season.

A little bit easier to get rushing TD's with Favre throwing the ball for over 300 yards.

jkeithc82
11-30-2009, 11:44 AM
A little bit easier to get rushing TD's with Favre throwing the ball for over 300 yards.

Conversely a little bit easier to throw for 300+ yards when you have Adrian Peterson on your team.

papi93
11-30-2009, 11:48 AM
Conversely a little bit easier to throw for 300+ yards when you have Adrian Peterson on your team.

...especially when teams are preparing for his performances from 2008.

Madanzi
11-30-2009, 04:09 PM

And without Brett Favre, Harvin wouldn't be the front runner for rookie of the year, and Sidney Rice would not be having a probowl season.

He elevates the play of the players around him. Plain and simple.

hatersgonnahate.gif

itt board warriors disagree with TONY DUNGY about peyton manning lol

stevematic
11-30-2009, 04:58 PM
Favre is on track to have his best season ever statistically.

As much as I hate the guy you have to respect the way he plays.

Shangius
11-30-2009, 05:01 PM

Favre was saying it was odd they still see 8-9 men in the box so late int he season.

No wonder his passing has been ridiculous.

rampagefc77
11-30-2009, 05:17 PM
I think Favre is probably the front runner right now. I'm probably more impressed with Manning simply because they have played harder competition, and he has led how many 4th quarter comebacks already this year? Favre has straight up beaten down the weak teams, I'm curious to see how he does against some real competition come playoff time.

Clives_Bicep
11-30-2009, 05:26 PM
Chris Johnson. But unless the Titans basically win out, his team's record will probably prevent him from getting it.

I agree, my man CJ, but Im a Titans homer. He is doing it even with teams stacking the box, knowing he is going to get the ball, and up until these last few weeks, we are a one dimensional team.

I do agree that Favre is playing lights out this year.

valentin123321
11-30-2009, 05:33 PM
If Chris johnson were to break the 2,000 yard mark, would he get M.V.P? Oh and a factor against manning is that for the last like 10 years he's been at his 30td/10int 4000 yard pace, he's done it for so long that people expect nothing less from him lol, so to turn heads he had to get himself 400yrd 4 td games

Evolutionary1
11-30-2009, 07:27 PM
I think Favre is probably the front runner right now. I'm probably more impressed with Manning simply because they have played harder competition, and he has led how many 4th quarter comebacks already this year? Favre has straight up beaten down the weak teams, I'm curious to see how he does against some real competition come playoff time.
we beat the packers twice nuff said