PDA

View Full Version : Since I reduced cardio and prioritised weight training...

Zero_Degreez
11-29-2009, 05:27 AM
Hey ladies,

I just wanted to share my experiences with you. I never really believed it myself before, but now I can confirm it's true.

Only two months ago I was a cardiovascular addict, too scared to cut it down in case I gained fat or whatever. I did CV every day, sometimes two times a day, and then did my weights three times a week.

Since I prioritised weight training, and reduced the CV, I have become far leaner than ever before. I have got muscle definition, and have dropped bodyfat. I have never been overweight, but my muscles are actually showing now. I basically started prioritising weight training, lifting heavy, and doing less CV (4 or 5 times a week now, not 7+). I have also found other ways to get my CV in, for example long walks in the park, which are lovely and so much nicer than 45 minutes on the cross-trainer.

And it's true what a lot of you say that diet is everything and you can't use exercise to outrule a bad diet. I use food to fuel my workouts, I enjoy what I eat, and I've stopped freaking out if I eat few chocolates. I used to eat chocolate and then do extra CV to try and cancel it out, but it doesn't bother me so much now. I haven't gained any fat either.

I just wanted to share this with you, because I'm sure some people had the same problems I had with letting go of CV... I don't know, I'd just had enough and didn't want to be a "slave" to it anymore! I have more time out of the gym now too. ;)

EDIT: I just uploaded progress pictures.

JC32
11-29-2009, 06:31 AM
Congrats on finding your "rhythm". I had a hard time finding the balance between cardio and weight training in the beginning (not for weight reasons) too. It took me a while to figure it out! :) I'm sure you'll be even happier now!!

Amber-Leigh
11-29-2009, 07:15 AM
Thanx for sharing that. I think we need to hear more positive personal experiences. I am personally still trying to find my rythem. I stress out about everything I don't do to the letter.

Nightbird573
11-29-2009, 07:17 AM
Good job! I used to be a cardio junkie as well, but once I stopped doing so much cardio and focused more on weights, I look leaner and better than ever! I'm glad you were able to get out of the cardio only mindset!

heidismommy
11-29-2009, 07:58 AM
That's awesome that you've found something that works!

Unfortunately cutting out cardio or cutting back doesn't work for me. I've tried it and I end up looking fatter, not leaner. I like to be able to eat what I do now and cutting back on cardio would mean my current intake for maintenance would become a surplus. You cannot out-train a bad diet, but it does change the amount of calories your body needs. For instance if you burn 1500 calories a week through cardio it really changes the amount you can consume on a daily basis. I've been able to put on plenty of muscle while doing cardio all along---I've just had to eat more in order to do it. Strength training IS my primary focus, but I do love my cardio too.

So I guess we all just have to find what works best for us and our individual needs.

freebirdmac
11-29-2009, 08:21 AM

Unfortunately cutting out cardio or cutting back doesn't work for me. I've tried it and I end up looking fatter, not leaner. I like to be able to eat what I do now and cutting back on cardio would mean my current intake for maintenance would become a surplus. You cannot out-train a bad diet, but it does change the amount of calories your body needs. For instance if you burn 1500 calories a week through cardio it really changes the amount you can consume on a daily basis. I've been able to put on plenty of muscle while doing cardio all along---I've just had to eat more in order to do it. Strength training IS my primary focus, but I do love my cardio too.

So I guess we all just have to find what works best for us and our individual needs.

Ok girlie, I'm going to call you out on this one. I don't want someone reading this thread to get the wrong idea with your comments :) BUT, you are still dealing with ED issues and your idea of looking fatter is not real world. You are too lean and still need to work on your perception of yourself. You should not look like a cut up competitor year around.

Actually, from what you've written I think you're doing some backsliding :(

heidismommy
11-29-2009, 08:28 AM
Ok girlie, I'm going to call you out on this one. I don't want someone reading this thread to get the wrong idea with your comments :) BUT, you are still dealing with ED issues and your idea of looking fatter is not real world. You are too lean and still need to work on your perception of yourself. You should not look like a cut up competitor year around.

Actually, from what you've written I think you're doing some backsliding :(

I don't know. I did cut back on cardio for a while and didn't like the results. I did notice some softening up and I couldn't deal with it so I've added the cardio back in and I'm finally undoing some of the "damage". I don't know what to think. Some people say that I'm too lean while others encourage me to get leaner. I think I just get frustrated and confused and then have a hard time dealing with any body fat gains right now. I know I shouldn't look like a cut-up competitor year round but it seems like many on this site are aiming for that. I think there are some unrealistic goals and expectations on here (I'm not talking about competitors, I'm talking about the rest of us) that it's hard to sort out reality from not. I don't think I'm backsliding, just trying to figure things out.

I'm not trying to sound like I'm encouraging everyone to do endless cardio. Some people hate it, but I actually like it and would prefer to keep the cardio so that I don't have to drop the calories. Even if I were trying to add more weight, dropping all cardio while keeping calories the same would cause me to gain too rapidly. I don't want to drop calories, not right now. I'd rather eat more and workout more, but that is just me.

Zero_Degreez
11-29-2009, 10:23 AM

Yes, I know what you mean about the changing the amount of calories your body needs. I've found that I'm actually eating less without feeling hungry now the cardio has reduced.

You are really lean for sure, it obviously works for you.

You are lucky you "love" cardio, but for me, it's a necessary evil!

heidismommy
11-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Yes, I know what you mean about the changing the amount of calories your body needs. I've found that I'm actually eating less without feeling hungry now the cardio has reduced.

You are really lean for sure, it obviously works for you.

You are lucky you "love" cardio, but for me, it's a necessary evil!

Yeah, I think a lot of people experience a natural appetite reduction when they lower the cardio. Unfortunately mine stays the same, lol. I think that cardio is just what I know so doing it comes easy whereas I know that I lot of people just don't like it. But obviously what you're doing now in reducing the cardio has benefited you and I know that a lot of people here have done better with lowering the cardio. Definitely do what is working for you!

kfisherx
11-29-2009, 10:37 AM
I don't know. I did cut back on cardio for a while and didn't like the results. I did notice some softening up and I couldn't deal with it so I've added the cardio back in and I'm finally undoing some of the "damage". I don't know what to think. Some people say that I'm too lean while others encourage me to get leaner. I think I just get frustrated and confused and then have a hard time dealing with any body fat gains right now. I know I shouldn't look like a cut-up competitor year round but it seems like many on this site are aiming for that. I think there are some unrealistic goals and expectations on here (I'm not talking about competitors, I'm talking about the rest of us) that it's hard to sort out reality from not. I don't think I'm backsliding, just trying to figure things out.

I'm not trying to sound like I'm encouraging everyone to do endless cardio. Some people hate it, but I actually like it and would prefer to keep the cardio so that I don't have to drop the calories. Even if I were trying to add more weight, dropping all cardio while keeping calories the same would cause me to gain too rapidly. I don't want to drop calories, not right now. I'd rather eat more and workout more, but that is just me.

Not to hijack this thread BUT girls, we have to learn to love our bodies at something other than 10% bf. :) I love my 20% bf body just as much as my 10% one. In fact my 20% bf body is stronger and feels better so I might love it a little bit more. If you are trying to maintain your 8 pack year round then YES, you will probably not find very good compromises between health, cardio and eating. A good clean bulk where you are progressively lifting heavier than you ever have in your life helps make the "softness" bearable.

fitopia
11-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Great thread! Thanks for sharing your experience.

heidismommy
11-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Not to hijack this thread BUT girls, we have to learn to love our bodies at something other than 10% bf. :) I love my 20% bf body just as much as my 10% one. In fact my 20% bf body is stronger and feels better so I might love it a little bit more. If you are trying to maintain your 8 pack year round then YES, you will probably not find very good compromises between health, cardio and eating. A good clean bulk where you are progressively lifting heavier than you ever have in your life helps make the "softness" bearable.

I'm definitely working on trying to accept myself with a little more "meat". My husband, in fact, would prefer that I were softer. I think like many here my goals tend not to be all that realistic (or perhaps healthy) and I know I need to step back and reevaluate on occasion. I think perhaps I expect too much of myself. I would like to have an 8-pack year round and I'd like to be very defined year round, but in order to do that means I give up balance. I would like to be leaner, not softer, but I know that isn't healthy. I DO want to be stronger and lift heavier and I know giving up cardio is probably the best way to go about that (because it would put me in a surplus rather than maintenance). I guess I'm just scared of the unknown. I want to gain muscle, but I'm terrified of getting soft so I tend to always go back to the cardio.

Sorry for the thread hijack, just wanted to respond.

kfisherx
11-29-2009, 10:54 PM
I'm definitely working on trying to accept myself with a little more "meat". My husband, in fact, would prefer that I were softer. I think like many here my goals tend not to be all that realistic (or perhaps healthy) and I know I need to step back and reevaluate on occasion. I think perhaps I expect too much of myself. I would like to have an 8-pack year round and I'd like to be very defined year round, but in order to do that means I give up balance. I would like to be leaner, not softer, but I know that isn't healthy. I DO want to be stronger and lift heavier and I know giving up cardio is probably the best way to go about that (because it would put me in a surplus rather than maintenance). I guess I'm just scared of the unknown. I want to gain muscle, but I'm terrified of getting soft so I tend to always go back to the cardio.

Sorry for the thread hijack, just wanted to respond.

Not trying to "dis" ya girl. I have been where you are and it is not a good place. I hired a nutritionist to help me get over my fears and that worked so well for me. I actually used Alan Aragon and he is the reason I am on this board in fact and why I can step in here and actually know a thing or two about training and nutrition. I highly recommend you do something similar if you cannot get over your fears. It is so much easier knowing that you are being looked after. I am on my third bulk right now and am more and more appreciative of the softer me each time I do it. It is because I am more in touch with how much stronger and healthier I feel with this body. Also my face looks better. LOL!

Seriously, I also come out of these rounds of "bulk" with so much more muscle that I look more and more incredible each time. It is a cool process.

heidismommy
11-30-2009, 04:22 AM
Not trying to "dis" ya girl. I have been where you are and it is not a good place. I hired a nutritionist to help me get over my fears and that worked so well for me. I actually used Alan Aragon and he is the reason I am on this board in fact and why I can step in here and actually know a thing or two about training and nutrition. I highly recommend you do something similar if you cannot get over your fears. It is so much easier knowing that you are being looked after. I am on my third bulk right now and am more and more appreciative of the softer me each time I do it. It is because I am more in touch with how much stronger and healthier I feel with this body. Also my face looks better. LOL!

Seriously, I also come out of these rounds of "bulk" with so much more muscle that I look more and more incredible each time. It is a cool process.

No, I completely understand. Alan Aragon seems highly knowledgeable, that is cool that you were able to use him. I think you may have hit the nail on the head though, I think maybe I need guidance to make sure that I'm doing it the right way. I'm scared that I'm going to gain only fat (or mainly fat) if I try and do it on my own. So I'd have to save up money, but if I can't just "do it" I may end up hiring someone to coach me along. But it's always cool to hear stories of other women who have gone through the process of bulking up and have felt better as a result.