PDA

View Full Version : Best booty building Lunges?

stackums
11-28-2009, 06:44 PM
what are your favorite lunges to do and which ones are best for booty toning and building?

kimm4
11-28-2009, 07:33 PM
what are your favorite lunges to do and which ones are best for booty toning and building?

There are many different lunges for hammies/glutes

BB or DB lunge
Static lunge
Low lunge
Sliding lunge

I use all these as well:

Glute/ham raises
Squats
Elevated split squats front foot on bench
Romanian deadlifts
Cable pullthroughs
Lying leg curls
Standing leg curls
Step ups
1 legged deadlifts
Reverse hyperextensions
Running stairs, bleachers, uphill sprints

Mix things up!

hmotb555
11-28-2009, 08:18 PM
There are many different lunges for hammies/glutes

BB or DB lunge
Static lunge
Low lunge
Sliding lunge

I use all these as well:

Glute/ham raises
Squats
Elevated split squats front foot on bench
Romanian deadlifts
Cable pullthroughs
Lying leg curls
Standing leg curls
Step ups
1 legged deadlifts
Reverse hyperextensions
Running stairs, bleachers, uphill sprints

Mix things up!

Ooooh 1 legged deadlifts?! I have GOT to try those! I know it would be insane!!!

I love running the bleachers too! Great stuff!

juliacheh
11-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Ooooh 1 legged deadlifts?! I have GOT to try those! I know it would be insane!!!

I love running the bleachers too! Great stuff!

One-legged deadlifts are great, but they are such a pain..in a good way LOL

Zero_Degreez
11-30-2009, 01:01 AM
Walking lunges for me.

jess_muscles
12-01-2009, 04:18 AM
i recently read about, then tried, an awesome lunge exercise where you carry a bar over your head (as though doing a shoulder press) and do 15 on the spot lunges per leg.

works awesome as it forces you to stabilise your core. dont underestimate the difficulty of it though...start with a plain bar no weights, then progressively load it.

kdjags
12-02-2009, 10:24 AM
I like doing forwards and backwards lunges onto the bosu ball. I like that it is active, which keeps it fun for me.

aznprincess
12-02-2009, 12:37 PM
bulgarian split squats! rear leg elevated on a bench...

hyacinth30
12-02-2009, 12:57 PM
bulgarian split squats! rear leg elevated on a bench...

Yes! I did these last week using the smith machine with my foot up on a bench behind. My butt was killing for a week! I never hit my glutes that hard with any exercise before.

aussiemommy
12-02-2009, 04:25 PM
i recently read about, then tried, an awesome lunge exercise where you carry a bar over your head (as though doing a shoulder press) and do 15 on the spot lunges per leg.

works awesome as it forces you to stabilise your core. dont underestimate the difficulty of it though...start with a plain bar no weights, then progressively load it.

I am totally going to try this one! ^^^^

So far I've just been doing dumbbell lunges.

kimm4
12-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Yes! I did these last week using the smith machine with my foot up on a bench behind. My butt was killing for a week! I never hit my glutes that hard with any exercise before.

I find bulgarian squats to be more quad dominant...for me anyways...but I love them!

freebirdmac
12-02-2009, 05:37 PM
I find bulgarian squats to be more quad dominant...for me anyways...but I love them!

Same here. My butt was yawning :)

xocheerbabe9
12-02-2009, 05:59 PM
I love to hold a weighted bar (usually 40 lbs) on my shoulders, and do "booty bump" squats onto a bench as fast as I can, doing as many as I can in 1 minute. A couple rounds of that and your butt screams days later :)

hyacinth30
12-02-2009, 06:10 PM

I definitely feel them in my quads a lot too, but its the first exercise that has really helped me get the glutes sore. Love em! :)

kimm4
12-02-2009, 06:20 PM
I definitely feel them in my quads a lot too, but its the first exercise that has really helped me get the glutes sore. Love em! :)

That's all that matters!! :)

kpettitt
12-02-2009, 06:27 PM

Me too! I thought maybe I was doing it wrong... good to hear others with the same comments!

I really like single leg plate loaded press too. They BURN so good!!

kimm4
12-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Me too! I thought maybe I was doing it wrong... good to hear others with the same comments!

I really like single leg plate loaded press too. They BURN so good!!

If I'm not mistaken, the further you put your leg back the more you'll feel it in the ham/glute area.

hyacinth30
12-02-2009, 06:34 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the further you put your leg back the more you'll feel it in the ham/glute area.

Yes, I have also heard this and noticed it to be the case. I played around with the stance on the bulgarians when I tried it on the smith. I cant seem to get the balance to do it on the bench with db's :(

kimm4
12-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Yes, I have also heard this and noticed it to be the case. I played around with the stance on the bulgarians when I tried it on the smith. I cant seem to get the balance to do it on the bench with db's :(

Yes I do mine with DB's from the bench. Practice with no weight to get the balance/form down. Then start off with light DB's and work your way up.

freebirdmac
12-02-2009, 06:52 PM
I dunno, nothing makes my butt burn more than low machine hacks and RDLs. This 50 year old is wearing thongs for the first time in her life, and not looking half bad!

(and no, there will be no picts)

kimm4
12-02-2009, 07:01 PM
I dunno, nothing makes my butt burn more than low machine hacks and RDLs. This 50 year old is wearing thongs for the first time in her life, and not looking half bad!

RDL's FTW!

No pics...this just doesn't seem fair...but I'm glad you're liking your progress. :)

mommalu
12-02-2009, 07:07 PM
duck walks are one of my favorite ways to end my leg day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_xEJwwuX6Y&feature=fvw

juliacheh
12-02-2009, 07:20 PM

I like RDLs too. My butt will look decent when I shed some fat. At least I hope so LOL.
That's great that you are able to wear thongs!

hmotb555
12-02-2009, 11:48 PM
Yes I do mine with DB's from the bench. Practice with no weight to get the balance/form down. Then start off with light DB's and work your way up.

Do you also do your bulgarian squats with a barbell? I usually do mine that way....and yeah I agree the further back your leg is the more it works your butt! I love doing bulgarian squats and RDL's

I have a question for all of you ladies....how do you work that area in the high part of the hams? Like not the butt but the area right below it that connects to your legs....I just call it the high hamstrings...what's a good exercise that hits right there? I feel like that area is soooo hard to target!

Patrese
12-03-2009, 01:59 AM
Do you also do your bulgarian squats with a barbell? I usually do mine that way....and yeah I agree the further back your leg is the more it works your butt! I love doing bulgarian squats and RDL's

I have a question for all of you ladies....how do you work that area in the high part of the hams? Like not the butt but the area right below it that connects to your legs....I just call it the high hamstrings...what's a good exercise that hits right there? I feel like that area is soooo hard to target!

yes! I would like to know too!!!!

Kate1
12-03-2009, 12:38 PM

Yay! Good for you! I'm working on mine, but I'm not wearing thongs - nope still too much cellulite for that...

A couple of weeks ago I started doing Smith Machine Lunges - (in addition to my Step mill, hack squats, legs press, hyperextensions & still legged deadlifts).

Don't know how to equate this to a different name - but I'll try to describe.

Smith Machine bar - + 50 lbs. on upper lats (you know where the position is). Working leg out in front. Non-working leg as far back as possible; body is upright & in line with the smith machine supports - so when looking sideways in the mirror by the smith machine- I don't see my body.

Working leg - 2 x 4 board under toes - start lunging as low as possible. I have been doing 3 sets of 10, and boy does my ass hurt after these. I love them!

If you gals know what this exercise is "really" called, I'll use that term in the future so I won't have to describe it.

freebirdmac
12-03-2009, 01:04 PM

RDL's. Really anything that hits the posterior chain. It just takes time to build up.

Yay! Good for you! I'm working on mine, but I'm not wearing thongs - nope still too much cellulite for that...

A couple of weeks ago I started doing Smith Machine Lunges - (in addition to my Step mill, hack squats, legs press, hyperextensions & still legged deadlifts).

Don't know how to equate this to a different name - but I'll try to describe.

Smith Machine bar - + 50 lbs. on upper lats (you know where the position is). Working leg out in front. Non-working leg as far back as possible; body is upright & in line with the smith machine supports - so when looking sideways in the mirror by the smith machine- I don't see my body.

Working leg - 2 x 4 board under toes - start lunging as low as possible. I have been doing 3 sets of 10, and boy does my ass hurt after these. I love them!

If you gals know what this exercise is "really" called, I'll use that term in the future so I won't have to describe it.

Smith lunges, split squats... I've seen both names attached to the exercise.

Kate1
12-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Just got back from the gym where I did 3 sets of 10 Smith Lunges - increased my weight to 75 lbs. Go me! :)

aragonmod
12-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Just got back from the gym where I did 3 sets of 10 Smith Lunges - increased my weight to 75 lbs. Go me! :)

GOOD JOB!!!!! Keep it up, next thing you know you will be hitting 100Lbs :) you can do it!!!

kimm4
12-03-2009, 06:46 PM

Sure you can use the bb for bulgarians.

Are you talking about the hammie tie in area? I like RDL's and even the leg press, foot placement high, wide stance.

kimm4
12-03-2009, 06:48 PM

Excellent work Kate!!

Hannah625
12-03-2009, 06:51 PM
When I lift heavy I like to do a walking lunge with dumbells. I walk slow so my momentum doesnt effect my form. I use heavy weight and keep it close to my body, As I complete the lunge I dont let my rear foot touch as I step forward, forcing me to stabilize and squeeze. This burns my glutes up!!! Its difficult to master the form. Just concentrate on keeping your back straight and bending from the back knee. Let me know what you think.. XOXO Hannah

Kate1
12-04-2009, 06:39 AM
Excellent work Kate!!
Thank you Kimm! :)

frameshunter
10-28-2011, 04:28 PM
where is the pics