PDA

View Full Version : Proper Form????

kudostojen
11-27-2009, 04:58 AM
I spend about 20min to 30min on a leg press machine 3 times a week for my physiotherapy, so i have some time to look around the gym between sets.

I noticed a woman beside me on another leg press machine, pressing almost double the weight i was. I was a little envious, but then i noticed she wasn't lowering the weight so her legs were at a 90 degree angle, but only lowering the weight a few inches.

I've seen people do this before when weight training, where people don't do the full range on motion during a rep.

Is there a benefit to this? I have never trained this way nor has anyone ever mentioned to do so, but i'm curious to see if anyone else trains way?

nunu713
11-27-2009, 05:52 AM
Well, there is a thing called partial sets where you only do half the full range of movement. So this woman could've been doing partial sets, or she just might've been doing a weight that's too heavy for her and she couldn't move it. In that case, it's time to lower the weight until you can do the full range.

There's a guy at my gym who loads the entire leg press machine with 45lb plates, but then only moves the sled a few inches, with his hands on his knees. That's when I turn away and laugh. But hey, different strokes!

Mindi912
11-27-2009, 10:10 AM
Most people don't use full ROM on the leg press and they are SO impressed with themselves at the weight they can push. Yet when you look at their squat numbers it's way down.

Now whether or not they are intending to do partial ROM, I couldn't tell you but I wouldn't brag about it that's for sure.

You keep doing what you're doing girl, you'll soon be beating them all with full ROM.

powerbarsssssss
11-27-2009, 10:24 AM
I've had partials suggested to me by a personal trainer. I haven't tried them because I happen to like FROM. It doesn't necessarily mean she's doing the partials on purpose, but she's still getting a decent workout.

kudostojen
11-27-2009, 03:52 PM
I prefer the full ROM. The only time i'm ok with a half rep is at failure. I don't think i would too proud of half reps for a full set, no matter what the weight was. ;)

What's the benefit of partials? Is it a way to increase weight and eventually do full range?

powerbarsssssss
11-27-2009, 04:13 PM
I prefer the full ROM. The only time i'm ok with a half rep is at failure. I don't think i would too proud of half reps for a full set, no matter what the weight was. ;)

What's the benefit of partials? Is it a way to increase weight and eventually do full range?

From my personal standpoint, partials are great if you have an injury and you are unable to use full range of motion. I personally prefer FROM, if able.

A quick search gave me this:

Partial Range Of Motion Training, Nicknamed "Partials," Has Evolved Into Three Distinct Types:

1. The strength training type that uses heavier than maximal weights (supra-maximal) exclusively in the strongest range of motion. This type yields the greatest relative intensity or training with the highest percentage of one's maximum.

2. The strength, plateau busting type that uses sub-maximal, maximal or supra-maximal loads in the trainee's weakest range or "sticking point". For example, setting the pins of a power rack 2" above and 2" below the knee then training the dead lift within that partial range.

3. The bodybuilding type that performs 6-10 full range reps to failure and then forces 2-4 partials in the strongest range to "burn" the trainee beyond failure. This type yields the greatest training volume.

T.I.M.M.I.N.S
11-29-2009, 04:16 PM
- she is probably doing partial reps which allows more weight which triggers more muscle tear except that since it isnt full ROM(RANGE OF MOTION) she is only having extreme muscle tear in a certain area in that muscle, therefore she is not stimulating the entire muscle to tear and regrow, she is stimulating a smaller area of that muscle to tear
advantage to this:
- more weight, more muscle tear
disadvantage to this:
- will not stimulate muscle tear throughout the entire muscle your working out, only a specific part/area

kfisherx
11-29-2009, 11:02 PM
I would rather see people do partial squats on the leg press machine then to go so far that their back begins to tilt forward. The leg press machine can cause all manners of low back injury if not careful.

With respect to real squats, I do partials sometimes. I go ATG, 1/2 and 1/4 squats in my program. The 1/2 and 1/4 squats give me the opportunity to load up my back and get used to the weight and to get over the head trips that come with having 200 or more lbs on my back. It is actually pretty helpful from a mental/courage point of view for me. I also do bench squats with heavier weights and find them to be really beneficial. With respect to ATG squats. Precious few people can do them even without any weight in my experience. Most people would do well to just practice this pose for some time each week until they can do it body weight.