PDA

View Full Version : possibley a silly question about cutting/bulking/losing weight/building muscle

hair_dye
11-26-2009, 02:35 PM
so, I have just started a proper routine, writing down everything, weights I am using etc and I feel like it is going quite well, my biceps are already more pronounced! Anyway, i know diet is very important, and I also know that mine needs a lot of work, but my question is this:

if, for example, i keep working out, gradually increasing my weights etc, and eating alright but not perfect, will my fitness keep increasing?

Then a few months down the line, could i really clean up my diet, to lose the fat and reveal the muscles?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but i was just wondering!

All thoughts appreciated!

Emoore
11-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Your strength will improve from weight training and your cardiovascular fitness will improve from cardiovascular exercise.

You may find yourself looking a bit "fluffy" as you add muscle mass without losing the fat that's on top, though.

freebirdmac
11-26-2009, 05:10 PM
so, I have just started a proper routine, writing down everything, weights I am using etc and I feel like it is going quite well, my biceps are already more pronounced! Anyway, i know diet is very important, and I also know that mine needs a lot of work, but my question is this:

if, for example, i keep working out, gradually increasing my weights etc, and eating alright but not perfect, will my fitness keep increasing?

Then a few months down the line, could i really clean up my diet, to lose the fat and reveal the muscles?

Yes. If you're eating over maintenance it's called "bulking." Just keep the fat gains small and reasonable by adjusting your diet as you go along.

Emma-Leigh
11-27-2009, 12:30 AM

Of course you'll still get changes - you'll get stronger, and fitter! As you are relatively new to training, then you'll probably build lean mass and you may even lose fat too (if calories are lower than you need)... BUT your results will be 'limited' by your diet.....

You'll not lose WEIGHT if you eat more than you need.
And you'll not GAIN weight if you eat LESS than you need...
^
simple rules of nature. ;)

If you are not mentally ready do 'diet' then don't! But don't use 'not dieting' as an excuse to be 'unhealthy' either. ;) There is always a 'middle ground'.

Yes. If you're eating over maintenance it's called "bulking." Just keep the fat gains small and reasonable by adjusting your diet as you go along.
^^
I would, however, caution you against this. Eating well over maintenance when your BF% is high to begin with usually = more fat, not necessarily a lot more muscle. ;)

hair_dye
11-27-2009, 07:25 AM
Of course you'll still get changes - you'll get stronger, and fitter! As you are relatively new to training, then you'll probably build lean mass and you may even lose fat too (if calories are lower than you need)... BUT your results will be 'limited' by your diet.....

You'll not lose WEIGHT if you eat more than you need.
And you'll not GAIN weight if you eat LESS than you need...
^
simple rules of nature. ;)

If you are not mentally ready do 'diet' then don't! But don't use 'not dieting' as an excuse to be 'unhealthy' either. ;) There is always a 'middle ground'.

Thanks :) I have muddled along at the gym for quite a while now, and I finally got my bum into gear recently, sifted through millions of transformations and sorted out myself a routine which I am really enjoying so far, I can't believe how much of a motivator it is to write everything I am doing down!

I try to eat healthily, but I could definately be better, I am going to improve this gradually so I don't feel like I am depriving myself, whilst working really hard and lifting heavy in the gym :)

patriarcaangela
11-27-2009, 10:47 AM

times 2

cherilee
11-27-2009, 02:19 PM
Thanks :) I have muddled along at the gym for quite a while now, and I finally got my bum into gear recently, sifted through millions of transformations and sorted out myself a routine which I am really enjoying so far, I can't believe how much of a motivator it is to write everything I am doing down!

I try to eat healthily, but I could definately be better, I am going to improve this gradually so I don't feel like I am depriving myself, whilst working really hard and lifting heavy in the gym :)

I feel like I could have written your post myself a few months ago. I finally started tracking all my food on Fitday and now have my eating under much better control. Maybe this would help you as well. Good luck with your goals!!