PDA

View Full Version : Weak wrists

eleni611
11-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Is there anything I can do/anything I can buy for wrist support? When I do side lateral raises, my wrists give out and it's like the weights are just dangling there and I want to lift heavier because my shoulders can handle it, but my wrists can't. I know there was a thread very similar to this and somebody suggested hand wraps, but that messes up my grip (which is also pretty weak..) Any ideas?

genn
11-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Is there anything I can do/anything I can buy for wrist support? When I do side lateral raises, my wrists give out and it's like the weights are just dangling there and I want to lift heavier because my shoulders can handle it, but my wrists can't. I know there was a thread very similar to this and somebody suggested hand wraps, but that messes up my grip (which is also pretty weak..) Any ideas?

I had that same problem when I first start out. I start using glucosamine for joint and cartilage support and it help a lot. I also start using straps for my major lift. both did it for me ! straps are supposed to help you with your grip so just watch how your using them maybe its the wrong technic.

eleni611
11-24-2009, 03:49 PM
thanks! what straps would you recommend?

jcolson
11-24-2009, 03:49 PM

Dont change a thing, and dont add straps. If you want the grip and forearm strength to increase, you need to keep workin at it. Everyone has their weaknesses that need to be worked out, not skipped.

Your probably doing it just fine.

JC32
11-24-2009, 03:57 PM
I rely heavily on my gloves (http://www.harbingerfitness.com/cgi-bin/6fyd-xxe5x.cgi?140&&sku) for wrist support. They have taken my workouts to a whole new level. But if you use these, your wrist strength will not increase with the rest of your arms. This wasn't that important to me. Any gloves with the wrap around wrist straps will do.

Another bonus is, they prevent blisters/calluses... so you don't end up with "man hands" lol.

genn
11-24-2009, 04:01 PM
thanks! what straps would you recommend?

some hands straps. I bought them on bb.com at a cheap price. there is a lot of choice with different price range.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/straps.html

Dont change a thing, and dont add straps. If you want the grip and forearm strength to increase, you need to keep workin at it. Everyone has their weaknesses that need to be worked out, not skipped.

I agree with this. that your forearm strength will increase by working them but straps def. help. It help me a lot when doing some deadlift, walking lunges, row just not to lose my grip. Also it help not to curl your wrist while doing some bicep curl or other exercice for a stricter movement.

kimm4
11-24-2009, 04:16 PM
I've never used straps and never will. I do use gloves and chalk on occasion. I've got tons of calluses, but I wear those with pride...just shows my hard work.

You need to build up your grip/wrist strength so throw some of these into your program:

BB wrist curls
DB wrist curls
Reverse wrist curls
1 arm cable wrist curls
pullups/chinups
Plate pinches

princessTiffany
11-24-2009, 04:50 PM

Yeah I heard straps, wraps and sometimes gloves are going to prevent your wrists from getting stronger. You just have to keep going, I'm having the same problem but I can feel my wrists getting stronger. I also do wrist curls when I can because I think it's important that the entire body get stronger but of course my main goal is to gain strength with a bit of size.

smdiskin
11-25-2009, 12:09 AM
Not sure how straps will work... they are great for pulling exercises but for lateral raises they won't stop the weight falling out of your hand unless you tie the weight on... (I also see people using them for things like bench press and wonder... ... why?...)
You don't need alot of weight for lat raises... I see people using too much weight all the time and using their whole bodies to throw the weight up ...
I'll admit that while I can DL well over 220lbs for reps, that I only use about 10-12 lbs for lat raises and can still fry my shoulders...
You might try "setting" your wrists at the beginning of the set by slightly flexing your wrists... I find this helps stop the droop.
All the best