PDA

View Full Version : question for my work collegue

summer020
11-24-2009, 04:43 AM
hi again.

My work collegue just asked me to post a question for her on here.

She wants to get a flat stomach. she jogs for about 10 - 15 mins a day. and does some sit ups.

She's had kiddies, so muscles not so tight anymore. she's also told me to say she is late 40's.

any tips would be great

thanks in advance

JC32
11-24-2009, 05:16 AM
The most important thing is her diet, there isn't enough cardio/situps in a day to fix it if her diet is wrong. She will probably need more cardio - 30-45min 4x/week within her target HR zone. Doing situps alone probably isn't going to do it either. A basic strength training program would probably be beneficial.

That's a good place to start.

Eileen
11-24-2009, 12:31 PM
Diet, diet, diet.

If she's in her late 40s, I'd strongly recommend she looks at a very low carb diet. Insulin tends to become an issue with age, so you simply can't eat lots of carbs and not pay for it.

Suggest that she replaces all white carbs with green vegetables, and makes sure she gets plenty of quality protein and healthy fats in each meal. Many women, in an effort to stay low fat, will eat a lot of refined and processed food. Time to go back to basics, with things like oily fish, whole eggs, fresh meat, lots and lots of green veg, olive oil, nuts, seeds, dairy, and enough fruit and wholegrains to fill the gaps.

Sit-ups can work the muscles, but they won't shift the fat on top of them. Suggest she uses her children as weights for things like squats, deadlifts and floor press.

summer020
11-25-2009, 04:16 AM
hahaha thanks but i don't think she will use her children for that lol :)

thanks for your replys. I will pass it all on.

so basically she needs to look at her diet.

Eileen
11-25-2009, 08:20 AM
hahaha thanks but i don't think she will use her children for that lol :)

Babies love it! My eldest is now 12, but still remembers all the lifting and swinging she got when I was using her as a weight for home exercises. Sometimes it was the only thing which stopped her crying!

RippedProfessor
11-26-2009, 12:20 PM
hi again.

My work collegue just asked me to post a question for her on here.

She wants to get a flat stomach. she jogs for about 10 - 15 mins a day. and does some sit ups.

She's had kiddies, so muscles not so tight anymore. she's also told me to say she is late 40's.

any tips would be great

thanks in advance

Heres an ideal breakfeast to get going on those cold mornings! & help her on the road to losing weight

Breakfeast : 1 bowel of oatmeal ( with diced bananna , blueberries , or sunflower seeds )
2 slices of whole grain bread with honey
1 glass of Apple/Orange Juice

This breakfeast is very high in " Dietary Fibre " eating lots of fibre slows food digestion down which means you fuller for longer ...... Also it has all your core " vitamins & minerals "
from whole food sources not supplements so every milligram gets absorbed!

Also eating foods high in fibre keeps your blood sugar levels nice but also makes sure they rise really slowing instead of rising really fast & making you feel tired!

After a workout i would take foods/drinks that have fast absorbtion of glucose e.g a bananna or bottle of lucozade

I would also advise to cut down on salt and " saturated fat " & when cooking foods grill them instead of frying them . Also eat food fresh not frozen

When excercising its always good to get the most intense workout so you burn calories fast ....... short & intense workouts

Heres some useful tips :

Avoid eating until "you can't eat another bite." In addition, avoid going too long without food. If you wait to eat until you are "starving," you are likely to have less control over what and how much you eat.

Eat only when you are hungry. You might be surprised how often you eat for emotional reasons. So, try to be aware of when you are eating to cover up feelings of loneliness, sadness, or anger, and seek an activity besides eating to meet your emotional needs.

Do not combine eating with other activities, such as reading or watching television. Research indicates that a major cause of weight gain is "unconscious" consumption of food. Many people eat up to 1000 more calories each day than they think they do.

Never go to the grocery store on an empty stomach. If you shop when you are ravenous, you will be tempted to buy unhealthy foods.

Slow down! Make mealtimes relaxing and enjoyable. Eat only when sitting down, chew each bite many times, and put your fork down between mouthfuls.

Drop out of the "clean your plate club." If you are full, it is OK to leave a few bites of food on your plate!
One easy way to cut calories is to limit your intake of pre-sweetened beverages such as soft drinks, fruit juice, and iced tea and to avoid adding sugar to coffee and tea. Sweetened beverages can contribute lots of extra calories, without providing any nutrients.

Dieters may also want to avoid high-fat desserts and snack foods, as these foods pack lots of calories. Although it is tempting to switch to "fat-free" foods, be aware that these foods often contain a high amount of calories despite the fact that they don't contain fat.

Weight loss is nearly impossible without moderate calorie restriction. However, despite calorie restriction, a carefully planned weight-loss diet should include the recommended amounts of all essential vitamins and minerals, fiber, and essential fatty acids.

Avoid weight-loss diets that severely restrict calories, allowing less than 1200 calories per day, unless these diets are part of a medically-monitored weight-loss program.

Hope this helps your friend good luck ! :)

freebirdmac
11-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Tell her to come here and hang out. She should definitely be on some sort of resistance training program. As already said, fat loss is all about diet. Gotta eat enough, but not too much. I disagree with the need for low carbs however. Moderate, zone type diets work just fine for a lot of us.