PDA

View Full Version : What is a clean bulk?

hoddle10
11-23-2009, 11:36 AM
I've just started bulking and I'm a little confused about what happens to the excess calories I eat over my maintainace level. I'm aiming to eat 300 cals over maintenance each day, and slowly bulk by about 3lbs per month. I'm eating 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass and about 20% of my diet is fat. But other than those rules I'm not really watching what I'm eating. If I want chocolate, ice cream, pizza or whatever, I eat it as long as it doesn't take me over my set amount of calories. Does this mean I'm dirty bulking and if so, how would my bulk improve if I was eating clean? For example, if I eat exaclty 2500 cals one day (ensuring 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass) and then eat a chocolate bar that has 300 cals in it, taking me exactly 300 cals above my maintenance level, how is this worse than eating that same extra 300 cals in clean foods such a veg or oats etc? I'm getting enough protien, enough fats and enough carbs, so i'm confused as to why a clean bulk would benefit me particuarly more than a dirty bulk. And ultimatley have I properly understood the difference between and clean and dirty bulk?

BRC1989
11-23-2009, 12:57 PM
By doing a clean bulk (eating good carb sources like oats, brown rice, sweet potatoes, whole grain breads, also some good green veggies and some fruits, also good fats like nautral peanut butter and olive oil, and good protein sources like chicken, tuna, eggs, turkey and protein shakes) you are going to be eating foods that contain more vitamins, are slowing digesting and less likely to turn into fat gains versus muscle gains.