PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on carb cycling?

Jedan01
11-21-2009, 11:56 PM
I was reading about it in Jason Ferrugia's ebook "Muscle Gaining Secrets". He claims that with carb cycling you can lose body fat and still gain muscle (although not as well as if you just straight bulked)

Opinions?

MarkVI
11-22-2009, 12:05 AM
Yeah you can, it's difficult but something like 2 high 2 low and 3 medium days should help focus on muscle and strength gain while keeping body fat minimal or even burning some.

In my experience though it's a good way to spin your wheels.....

chaserz
11-22-2009, 12:14 AM
I was thinking of doing Twin Peak's carb cycling.

Not sure what the general consensus is on it here.

Here is my breakdown i was thinking of doing.

Either way I will be getting carbs on days I lift because I lift in the morning after breakfast (oats).

Monday – High Carb (Shoulders/Traps)
Tuesday – Low Carb (Back/Bicep)
Wednesday – No Carb (Off with possible HIIT)
Thursday – Low Carb (Off with possible HIIT)
Friday – High Carb (Chest/Tricep)
Saturday – Low Carb (Legs)
Sunday – No Carb (Off with possible HIIT)

Anything wrong with this setup?

MarkVI
11-22-2009, 12:24 AM
I was thinking of doing Twin Peak's carb cycling.

Not sure what the general consensus is on it here.

Here is my breakdown i was thinking of doing.

Either way I will be getting carbs on days I lift because I lift in the morning after breakfast (oats).

Monday High Carb (Shoulders/Traps)
Tuesday Low Carb (Back/Bicep)
Wednesday No Carb (Off with possible HIIT)
Thursday Low Carb (Off with possible HIIT)
Friday High Carb (Chest/Tricep)
Saturday Low Carb (Legs)
Sunday No Carb (Off with possible HIIT)

Anything wrong with this setup?

2 Big things pop out at me -- first, back and legs are BOTH on low carb days....that's dumb. They're your 2 largest muscle groups - those should be your high days.

Also -- HIIT on no carb is a bad idea, you should do HIIT after your carb meal because it's going to demand glycogen.

ucla2007
11-22-2009, 01:10 AM
I'm cutting right now and technically "carb cycling", but I'm not on any specific schedule. For example I just did low, medium, medium, high, low, and those weren't on a specific workout day. Although I find it is good to have a low day on leg day, really helps when my weight hangs around the same number for a week.

I've been cutting since the beginning of September and I've lost over 25 lbs and am down to 10% bf from 20% at the at the end of my bulk. So, I guess carb cycling is working. It not diet alone though, I'm also doing cardio 5 days a week and mixing it up with 60 minutes or 45 minutes in the morning and 45 after my workout. Hope this helps

Los_Diablo
11-22-2009, 02:26 AM
Carb cycling enabled me to score an eskimo ho with freckles.

TommySK
11-22-2009, 05:19 AM
Carbohydrate cycling is the most popular form of pre-contest diet where I live and it worked wonder for me. I put down 20kg and lost very little muscle (don't have exact stats, but I lost only 1cm on my bi/triceps) and even improved my strength. It was my first serious diet too, so maybe that's the reason it worked so well.

fitlover
11-22-2009, 07:24 AM
I follow a carb-cycling diet, which is medium days, low days, and high days...I'm in a muscle-building phase right now though so I have more medium/high days than low days. I have low days on my off days, and high carbs on my heaviest training days.

I basically follow this:

"Eat for what you have to do on the given day"

chaserz
11-22-2009, 01:27 PM
2 Big things pop out at me -- first, back and legs are BOTH on low carb days....that's dumb. They're your 2 largest muscle groups - those should be your high days.

Also -- HIIT on no carb is a bad idea, you should do HIIT after your carb meal because it's going to demand glycogen.

understandable ill fix that.

i just didnt think it would be a big deal since i lift right after breakfast where on both high carb and low carb, i eat the same thing.