PDA

View Full Version : crazy hormones + emotions=tough days!

gymbabe90
11-21-2009, 12:05 AM
Hey Ladies,

I was just wondering if I could get some opinions or feedback on the best way to handle PMS and the other hormonal problems that can screw with our head. It seems like I have a REALLY hard time coping with emotions, bloating, depression, self doubt... YOU NAME IT!

I keep falling off the wagon :( ... and it's not just once a month!

princessTiffany
11-21-2009, 12:19 AM
I hear ya, I fall off the wagon every week. If it's not just average PMS and it happens at the beginning of your cylce and the end of the old one there could be something over the counter you could take. My old doctor told me some kind of hormone to get but I forgot what it was called. But if it's a recurring issue more than once a month, every month it might not be PMS or menstrual related.

gymbabe90
11-21-2009, 12:35 AM
I hear ya, I fall off the wagon every week. If it's not just average PMS and it happens at the beginning of your cylce and the end of the old one there could be something over the counter you could take. My old doctor told me some kind of hormone to get but I forgot what it was called. But if it's a recurring issue more than once a month, every month it might not be PMS or menstrual related.

Yeah :) , i am a really happy person in general .. I just get all messed up inside my head a lot and I KNOW it's hormone related! I've been on anxiety, depression meds.. all that stuff. If I could take something that would make me feel "okay" I would be in heaven, but everything I've ever taken has made be BLEH... worse :(

princessTiffany
11-21-2009, 12:38 AM
Yeah :) , i am a really happy person in general .. I just get all messed up inside my head a lot and I KNOW it's hormone related! I've been on anxiety, depression meds.. all that stuff. If I could take something that would make me feel "okay" I would be in heaven, but everything I've ever taken has made be BLEH... worse :(

Ah yeah, same here. It sucks how there's no magic pill and the only pills make you sluggish, tired, etc., or just somehow the exact same.
Maybe get some ylang ylang essential oil and put a tiny drop in your shampoo or lotion or to use in a diffuser? I use a ylang ylang shampoo bar every week and it calms my hormones. ..or seems to, anyway.

gymbabe90
11-21-2009, 12:45 AM
Ah yeah, same here. It sucks how there's no magic pill and the only pills make you sluggish, tired, etc., or just somehow the exact same.
Maybe get some ylang ylang essential oil and put a tiny drop in your shampoo or lotion or to use in a diffuser? I use a ylang ylang shampoo bar every week and it calms my hormones. ..or seems to, anyway.
huh... never heard of ylang ylang...?

princessTiffany
11-21-2009, 01:16 AM
huh... never heard of ylang ylang...?

It's an oil pressed from a flower that is an anti-septic and is said to calm PMS, hormones, anger, anxiety, depression and also may work as an aphrodisiac for women. It's like the tropical version of Lavender. People used to use it in hair conditioners.

http://www.aromaweb.com/essentialoilspz/ylangylang.asp
http://health.howstuffworks.com/aromatherapy-ylangylang.htm (better link)

Stephanie_9
11-28-2009, 04:55 AM
I hear you chic... struggled with stuff like this big time. Gone a few months now without completely falling off the wagon.

I have had times where my moods go all over the place. Generally I'm an energetic, confident and easy going person but there are times mostly related to my cycle that has had me feel like my life was falling to pieces. I agree with you, I believe that this is all hormonal.

I find that when these "bad moods" or whatever you want to call them start to come on its like a snow ball effect. It starts out with a minor issue. Maybe something didn't happen the way you wanted or you don't look as good as normal, maybe your clothes are tight, your bloated, your make up looks like **** or you have a bad hair day. We over think things, our thoughts race, things are foggy and all of sudden things that seem so easy are just so damn hard (like making that salad or going to the gym) and we feel overwhelmed. Once you are overwhelmed your emotions are all over the place, you start to snap at people, cry over things that you usually wouldn't and so on. By now your feeling so bad that you think there is something wrong with you, your depressed? crazy? can't keep it together.... when this is not the case, things just got out of hand, that's all.

Now this mood trouble could have stopped it self right from the beginning. Once you learn to recognize yourself getting a little edgy because of well whatever reason you need to stop and stand back and just say to yourself... ok well I'm bloated today, I guess that is **** but there is nothing I can do about it except wear loose clothing and think about how good I'm going to feel tomorrow.

Anyway my point is that we become in a negative mindset and start to doubt ourselves, if you have a good look at yourself you will probably be able to identify patterns in your behaviors. Learn to stop them before they start and keep positive, I know this is hard at times but continue to prompt yourself to do this and it will become a habit or a new way of thinking.

Another thing I do sometimes when I'm struggling is to make sure I'm getting all my B group vitamins, extra magnesium and fish oil can also help too. I can't explain the technical terms behind it but I know that our body can be low on this stuff when our hormones are out of wack and it can help balance them.

Hope all my rambling has helped :-)

hsmosny
11-28-2009, 05:50 PM
I have MDD which causes me to have depressive episodes frequently lasting for sometimes months at a time. I make sure i take my multi, fishoil, and also st. johns wart. I dont take anything for my depression other than that due to i have other issues(anxiety and ADD) i do have to take scripts for those both. i find even on my toughest days if i just spend 10 minutes walking on the treadmill and a little help from the footprints in the sand poem and serenity prayer i manage without to many prescriptions. Im not saying go become all religious bc im not at all but its the only thing that gets me through everyday. just try to be an optimist even when its the easiest thing to do is to be a pessimist

petitpowerhouse
11-28-2009, 06:04 PM
This happens to me pretty severely also. Turns out I have PMDD. I took birth control pills for a month or two which helped a bit but there was a lot of side effects like weight gain and acne. The high protein diet I've switched to actually helps with cramps and headaches and when you're in less pain it's easier to maintain your sanity. Taking fish oil and multivitamins helps too. Just walking on the treadmill can sometimes help with moods and cramps.
Hope this helps

Writer25
11-28-2009, 06:34 PM
I used to get REALLY bad headaches, fatigue and moodiness during that time. My doctor suggested trying magnesium supplements, and I take a multi-vitamin anyway. Magnesium really helps with it. Now I tend to be a bit more tired during the month but it isnt as bad as it used to be.