PDA

View Full Version : What to do to get abs to show??

.Zaher.
11-20-2009, 01:34 AM
I'm 5'2 110lbs 20% bmi weight train 5-6 days a wk, yes i do alternate muscle groups, include high intensity cardio, eat 100% clean diet around 1600-1800 cals. I do get the healthy fats fish/flax/borage/olive oils omega 3 mix...

Im curious do i need to drop some lbs for abs to show? That doesnt sound too healthy i dont wanna become one of those anorexic "fit" looking magazine models.

I've hardened up all over arms and legs just have some extra fat around my lower middle - below belly button and the love handle/side of the hips area...

Im just confused what i need to do to get my hard abs which i can feel just underneath to show??

Am i doing something wrong or not doing something i should be doing?

(You can see recent pics on my profile since its not letting me post'em here)

AUTiger13
11-20-2009, 07:17 AM
getting your abs to show is about diet. You will have to drop more bodyfat to see your abs.

sharonatkinson
11-20-2009, 07:18 AM
Yeah need to drop body fat for abs to show, usually around the mid teens
but will be different for each person depending on where you store your fat

Emoore
11-20-2009, 08:06 AM
As the others said, you need to reduce your bodyfat percentage to get abs to show.

However, at your size there's a good chance you might end up looking emaciated if you just drop a bunch of fat. I think it would be a better idea to add some muscle first and then do a cut.

Also you can add some weighted ab work to really get your abs to pop out. Abs are just like any other muscle group-- if there's not much muscle there it's not going to show, no matter how low your bodyfat goes. Anorexics, Ethiopians, and concentration camp victims don't have abs. Build up the muscle in your core, which will get them to kind of push out under the skin.

heidismommy
11-20-2009, 08:10 AM
As the others said, you need to reduce your bodyfat percentage to get abs to show.

However, at your size there's a good chance you might end up looking emaciated if you just drop a bunch of fat. I think it would be a better idea to add some muscle first and then do a cut.

Also you can add some weighted ab work to really get your abs to pop out. Abs are just like any other muscle group-- if there's not much muscle there it's not going to show, no matter how low your bodyfat goes. Anorexics, Ethiopians, and concentration camp victims don't have abs. Build up the muscle in your core, which will get them to kind of push out under the skin.

^^
I agree with all of this.

TheSheepdog
11-20-2009, 08:19 AM
sub water and bodyfat, gotta go

heidismommy
11-20-2009, 08:38 AM
sub water and bodyfat, gotta go

Did you look at her stats though? She's only 110 lbs at 5'2". If she focuses on losing body fat she'll end up far too skinny with very little muscle mass. She should focus on building first, then go from there.

.Zaher.
11-20-2009, 11:54 AM
I already am focusing on building muscle mass as i already wrote and i have on my arms legs and of course abs. So as to dropping my body fat...im not sure what changes/improvements i can do! Thats the part im confused about. I already eat clean, weight train cardio to the max, ect
How can i trick my body into dropping below 20 where its been so comfortable for yrs?? lol

aznprincess
11-20-2009, 12:35 PM
if you're goal is to drop body fat instead of build, you have to reduce calories. how many calories are you eating / day right now?

Nightbird573
11-20-2009, 12:36 PM
I already am focusing on building muscle mass as i already wrote and i have on my arms legs and of course abs. So as to dropping my body fat...im not sure what changes/improvements i can do! Thats the part im confused about. I already eat clean, weight train cardio to the max, ect
How can i trick my body into dropping below 20 where its been so comfortable for yrs?? lol

How did you have your bodyfat measured?

TheSheepdog
11-20-2009, 07:15 PM
Did you look at her stats though? She's only 110 lbs at 5'2". If she focuses on losing body fat she'll end up far too skinny with very little muscle mass. She should focus on building first, then go from there.

ooh, you right, I wasnt even paying attention

op, just work the abs

SR800
11-21-2009, 05:41 AM

I think many people underestimate this point. It does not help that many who are gifted with great ab mass tell everyone it is all about the diet. Yes diet is critical, it is necessary but not sufficient. Kind of like you have to have clouds for rain but just because there are clouds does not mean there is rain. I have worked very hard on ab exercises and it has made a huge difference in making my abs pop. Before 3 years of hard ab work I just had a nice flat stomach, now I ave abs. I fell prey to the situp and crunch approach, I just do not think those exercises shock the abs enough for growth. You can see that in my progress photos from 2006 to 2009.

My personal opinion is that the best all around exercises are hanging knee and leg raises or weighted hanging knee raises, also hanging knee wipers and all the variations. Arm straps make the exercises all about the abs and not about the grip. You can get a pair at wal-mart for around $20.

Congratulations on your efforts so far. You are young and have a lot of time to get where you want to be. Just remember there are no short cuts and the harder you work for something the more valuable it becomes. In a year or two we want to see some shots of those abs:D

pirouette
11-21-2009, 10:35 AM
getting your abs to show is about diet. You will have to drop more bodyfat to see your abs.

agreed, abs are made at the dinner table

kimm4
11-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Agreed that abs are made in the kitchen. However, if anyone looked at her stats you will see she's at the lower end of the scale in weight for her height. So in the OP's case, it's a matter of needing to build more overall lean mass (this includes abs.)

Kinda hard to cut the body fat, when you don't have enough muscle underneath to work with...

Nightbird573
11-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Agreed that abs are made in the kitchen. However, if anyone looked at her stats you will see she's at the lower end of the scale in weight for her height. So in the OP's case, it's a matter of needing to build more overall lean mass (this includes abs.)

Kinda hard to cut the body fat, when you don't have enough muscle underneath to work with...

^^^
This

.Zaher.
11-24-2009, 06:51 PM
So I should focus on building overall mass aka bulking right now? 1400-1600 cals too low then??

kfisherx
11-24-2009, 10:03 PM
So I should focus on building overall mass aka bulking right now? 1400-1600 cals too low then??

IMHO this is exactly what you should do. I did this same thing. I got down to about 125lbs when I first started and had nearly 28% bf. :( It was ridiculous. I did two bulk and cut cycles over two years to get to my current 125 and 16%. Now I can have abs and other muscles too. It is a good thing. :)

Dietdude
11-24-2009, 10:12 PM
BodyRock.tv (http://www.bodyrock.tv/)

kimm4
11-24-2009, 10:18 PM

Yes, too low. Slowly increase your calories up to 1900. This will put you 200 above your maintenance calories. It's a slower process, so fat gains will be minimal.

Workin_on_it
11-25-2009, 07:30 AM
If you look at my advatar, in that pic I weighed in at a measley 109. I am 5'5, obviously I had low bodyfat fro that competition. I do not stay that lean the whole year through. Off season I generally go up about 10-15 lbs and my abs aren't seen. For your abs to come out yes you need to work them with weights and loose the fat in the abdominal area or water that you may be holding there. Some women use dandelion root to help with that. It is a natural diuretic. Keep working the abs and stick to a clean diet..they'll come through. :)

joen270
11-25-2009, 07:34 AM
strict diet and RUN

ives
11-27-2009, 07:56 AM

At 5'2 and 110#, "20" is your BMI, not your body fat percentage. BMI (body mass index) is a function of height and weight, no matter how much of that weight is fat. BMI can be calculated just from height and weight, while a BF measurement involves calipers or a dunk tank, and one of several more-complex equations.

I forget her name, but there's someone on BB.com who made a great inspirational post about how she busted her ass for months/years and her total weight only dropped like, 1.3 pounds. However, she posted pictures and there had been a HUGE change in her muscle-fat ratio. She would have stayed about the same BMI, but her bodyfat probably dropped several points.

EllaBella
11-27-2009, 09:57 AM
I think many people underestimate this point. It does not help that many who are gifted with great ab mass tell everyone it is all about the diet. Yes diet is critical, it is necessary but not sufficient. Kind of like you have to have clouds for rain but just because there are clouds does not mean there is rain. I have worked very hard on ab exercises and it has made a huge difference in making my abs pop. Before 3 years of hard ab work I just had a nice flat stomach, now I ave abs. I fell prey to the situp and crunch approach, I just do not think those exercises shock the abs enough for growth. You can see that in my progress photos from 2006 to 2009.

My personal opinion is that the best all around exercises are hanging knee and leg raises or weighted hanging knee raises, also hanging knee wipers and all the variations. Arm straps make the exercises all about the abs and not about the grip. You can get a pair at wal-mart for around $20.

Congratulations on your efforts so far. You are young and have a lot of time to get where you want to be. Just remember there are no short cuts and the harder you work for something the more valuable it becomes. In a year or two we want to see some shots of those abs:D

Thanks for the info. I think i'm gonna rig some towels/scarves to make arm straps. Really helpful to everyone not just the OP.

.Zaher.
12-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Gained 2lbs the last 2 mnths and dropped to 17.9 body fat improved strength overall but Still no visible sign of abs =(

i can see some definition/feel ab lumps underneath on upper abs but have this Pooch on lower abs that sticks out oddly, i wonder if i'll ever be able to eliminate the fat in that area, it just ruins my overall figure

norinicole
12-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Gained 2lbs the last 2 mnths and dropped to 17.9 body fat improved strength overall but Still no visible sign of abs =(

i can see some definition/feel ab lumps underneath on upper abs but have this Pooch on lower abs that sticks out oddly, i wonder if i'll ever be able to eliminate the fat in that area, it just ruins my overall figure

The only way to do this is through diet. For some women abs come through at a lower bf% than others.

Just keep working away at it. Stay consistent and they will start to show once your bf% gets lower.

.Zaher.
12-19-2009, 06:04 AM

this is what i was talking about =(
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/cruella_666/th_l_769d2a42bde0428988f676ae4e42bb8b.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v109/cruella_666/?action=view&current=l_769d2a42bde0428988f676ae4e42bb8b.jpg)

The only way to do this is through diet. For some women abs come through at a lower bf% than others.

Just keep working away at it. Stay consistent and they will start to show once your bf% gets lower.

yes i know. i guess since im shorter i'll have to get it lower than I originally presumed

imbiggert
12-19-2009, 08:36 AM
I have done about 800 reps of abs wrk 5-6 days a week for years. The first time I saw the classic 6-pack look was after adding weighted exercises. I use forward crunches with the rope. I add about 6 sets. The first is light with about 70 lbs -- I do 12 reps. Then I do 5 sets with 80 lbs -- about 8 reps each.

I do these weighted sets after the floor work.

SR800
12-20-2009, 10:50 AM
I just checked you body space pics and you look fantastic and have very good proportion. You have developed the classic swim suit model physique. The guys your age should be beating down the door! If you want the abs it is just a matter of BF reduction and weighted ab exercises.

mavrick77
12-20-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm 5'2 110lbs 20% bmi weight train 5-6 days a wk, yes i do alternate muscle groups, include high intensity cardio, eat 100% clean diet around 1600-1800 cals. I do get the healthy fats fish/flax/borage/olive oils omega 3 mix...

Im curious do i need to drop some lbs for abs to show? That doesnt sound too healthy i dont wanna become one of those anorexic "fit" looking magazine models.

I've hardened up all over arms and legs just have some extra fat around my lower middle - below belly button and the love handle/side of the hips area...

Im just confused what i need to do to get my hard abs which i can feel just underneath to show??

Am i doing something wrong or not doing something i should be doing?

(You can see recent pics on my profile since its not letting me post'em here)

abs are 100% about your bodyfat level....get it lower, and build muscle so you dont look anorexic

p.s...thoose are some fun shorts, have to get thoose for my wife :)

SportyShorty89
12-20-2009, 10:15 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/cruella_666/th_l_769d2a42bde0428988f676ae4e42bb8b.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v109/cruella_666/?action=view&current=l_769d2a42bde0428988f676ae4e42bb8b.jpg)

yes i know. i guess since im shorter i'll have to get it lower than I originally presumed

If this pic is at 17.9% BF as you stated I feel you are using a more innacurate measurment method (not that there really is one that reads spot on). Especially for coming out with a decimal. I'm 1% away from my goal BF% which is 17, and also short. My "adonis belt" is the most prominent feature of my midsection, and some upper abs showing. I think @ 17% there might be a slight change but not expecting much. So I feel like 17 or 18 should be okay for you to start seeing definition as well. Find a more accurate method of measuring, be sure of where your at, and just keep killing those ab workouts :) good luck!

MuayThaiKit
12-22-2009, 01:33 PM

I'm really short too, 5', and get the same problem. First off, the issue with guys giving advice on abs and losing body fat isnt' helpful because as women our bodies are made completely different and we require more bodyfat than men, unless of course we're going for bodybuilding, competitions, etc.

Everyone is saying diet and weighted ab exercise. I'm going to have to agree on that. Using the captains chair, hanging leg raises with ankle weight is freakin amazing!!!

You can use ankle weight for tons of lower ab exercises, like v-ups, supine leg raises, etc. Cable ab exercises are great too, i.e.: Woodchoppers, but be careful of your form because of your back! This will build your muscle, basically hypertrophy it, and make them stick out more.

Diet: You shouldn't overdo it on losing body fat. What you should do is cut out SUGARS as much as possible. Sugar goes directly to your lower abdominal area, so does anything with carbonation, such as sodas and beers. Also, make sure you aren't taking in too much protein such as protein shakes. Those aren't that great unless you're super bulking up, especially if you eat right. They make you retain water.

All in all I think you look amazing though and shouldn't nitpick so hard on yourself! You have a great body!

heidismommy
12-22-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm really short too, 5', and get the same problem. First off, the issue with guys giving advice on abs and losing body fat isnt' helpful because as women our bodies are made completely different and we require more bodyfat than men, unless of course we're going for bodybuilding, competitions, etc.

Everyone is saying diet and weighted ab exercise. I'm going to have to agree on that. Using the captains chair, hanging leg raises with ankle weight is freakin amazing!!!

You can use ankle weight for tons of lower ab exercises, like v-ups, supine leg raises, etc. Cable ab exercises are great too, i.e.: Woodchoppers, but be careful of your form because of your back! This will build your muscle, basically hypertrophy it, and make them stick out more.

Diet: You shouldn't overdo it on losing body fat. What you should do is cut out SUGARS as much as possible. Sugar goes directly to your lower abdominal area, so does anything with carbonation, such as sodas and beers. Also, make sure you aren't taking in too much protein such as protein shakes. Those aren't that great unless you're super bulking up, especially if you eat right. They make you retain water.

All in all I think you look amazing though and shouldn't nitpick so hard on yourself! You have a great body!

I don't know, I'd have to disagree with the cutting out sugars part. Sugars do not go directly to the lower abdominal area and neither do carbonated beverages. That is just one of those myths. And protein shakes do not make you retain water. I always make room for sugary stuff, I drink cans of diet soda every day, and I get approx. 500 cals a day worth of protein supplements (some whey, some blend).

You're right in that women are meant to have some body fat, but in general in order for abs to show the body fat must be pretty low, particularly in the ab region. If that area is covered in a layer of fat those abs will never show. I actually don't do any weighted ab work, or at least I didn't until about a week ago, but I've managed to build enough ab muscle with regular crunches and hanging leg raises for them to show through the body fat that I have. So low body fat is needed for ab visibility, but that doesn't require anything extreme or rigid with diet.

dipo7
12-22-2009, 02:27 PM
my 2 cents:

everyone is right about dieting but if you build stronger abs using weights its easier for your abs to show through fat.

Holly2710
12-22-2009, 03:08 PM
You really need to work on the abs more if you dont see any definition. I would do an ab workout every other day, including lower, upper and obliques. As long as you eat enough cals/proper nutrition and keep up with the workouts you should get those abs you want. You also might have to cut a little bit if you are doing a clean bulk first. Best of luck!

.Zaher.
12-25-2009, 04:47 PM
also curious, does everyone have the same potential for a nice display of adonis belt or ..?

tend to see it on mostly men very few women

Shinet
12-25-2009, 09:41 PM
also curious, does everyone have the same potential for a nice display of adonis belt or ..?

For men, the adonis belt is essential for our V-Shape a.k.a V-Taper. However, some men prefer a wider waist which makes them look bigger.

heidismommy
12-26-2009, 07:13 AM

I think you're more likely to see it on a person who is narrow-hipped/has a narrower pelvic structure. A lot of women have naturally wider hips and I'm not sure that I've ever seen an adonis belt on anyone with wide hips...though maybe it's a body fat thing? I don't know. I definitely see an adonis belt far more in men than women though and when I do see them on women those women tend to have narrow/boyish hips. That said I have a slight one that can be seen if I pull my bottoms down low enough. I have more of a "boyish" frame with very little hip flare if that makes a difference.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/heidismomma/15YSrO2XCkcXYazV3GoTvO7t8qjq6829.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/heidismomma/1uGG8xCmzCvQGiWCM2tOXF7LboUn9C906.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/heidismomma/1kJRzcE8CbybR9IlqhEPf8vrfCx729.jpg

heidismommy
12-26-2009, 07:14 AM
For men, the adonis belt is essential for our V-Shape a.k.a V-Taper. However, some men prefer a wider waist which makes them look bigger.

I think you're thinking of something different? The adonis belt is that definition in the very lower abdominal area- "lower ab lines". The V-taper has to do with building upper back.

Jamaicanmixy
12-26-2009, 07:47 PM

I think you're more likely to see it on a person who is narrow-hipped/has a narrower pelvic structure. A lot of women have naturally wider hips and I'm not sure that I've ever seen an adonis belt on anyone with wide hips...though maybe it's a body fat thing? I don't know. I definitely see an adonis belt far more in men than women though and when I do see them on women those women tend to have narrow/boyish hips. That said I have a slight one that can be seen if I pull my bottoms down low enough. I have more of a "boyish" frame with very little hip flare if that makes a difference.

Lookin great "heidismommy" Im jealous! mines lil too...at first i thought mine were love handles but while doin abs yesterday i saw a lil vein pop out...now if im mistaken veins dont show up under fat, so it must be muscle! haha

heres mine...i need to lose a lil more bf though to have it really stand out
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2009/12/26/18949652/progresspic/1zrPTQjsP0yl7eL76uAHdeYxHKTLT0955.jpeg

I do alot of these to make it pop out a lil more but instead i use a 45lb plate no dumbbell
"Dumbbell side bends" and oblique crunches
http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/exerciseImages/sequences/88/Male/m/88_2.jpg

Shinet
12-27-2009, 02:06 AM
I think you're thinking of something different? The adonis belt is that definition in the very lower abdominal area- "lower ab lines". The V-taper has to do with building upper back.

Oops, my bad. I get confused about "V's." Thank you for catching the error.

.Zaher.
12-27-2009, 08:31 PM
Lookin great "heidismommy" Im jealous! mines lil too...at first i thought mine were love handles but while doin abs yesterday i saw a lil vein pop out...now if im mistaken veins dont show up under fat, so it must be muscle! haha

heres mine...i need to lose a lil more bf though to have it really stand out
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2009/12/26/18949652/progresspic/1zrPTQjsP0yl7eL76uAHdeYxHKTLT0955.jpeg

I do alot of these to make it pop out a lil more but instead i use a 45lb plate no dumbbell
"Dumbbell side bends" and oblique crunches
http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/exerciseImages/sequences/88/Male/m/88_2.jpg

Nice Jamaicanmixy

I might try those side plate bend/crunches, good idea

ckfeng
12-28-2009, 10:59 PM
However, she posted pictures and there had been a HUGE change in her muscle-fat ratio. She would have stayed about the same BMI, but her bodyfat probably dropped several points.

FitWish
12-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Even if you have lower bodyfat and you have not "built" up the ab muscles they will not show...my husband is 9% bf but there isn't too much to his ab definition because he hasn't built up his ab muscles enough...I've even lowered my body fat from 23% to 16.5% and they still dont show..I only get the line down the middle of my tummy...but I agree with the other guys when they say to hit your ab's heavy and hard...with added weight..that has really changed my stomach since adding the weight...it's not just about reps...and the diet helps keep your tummy flat so the ab's show through. Even at 16.5% bf when indulging in too many foods a few days after my ab's wont show as much...but when my diet is at 90% and up my ab's will show "more so." not like a 6 pack or anything like that..

I swear ill have to be at like 10-12% bf just for a 6 pack to show...haha..some ppl like my hold more fat it in the waist...

heidismommy
12-29-2009, 06:44 PM

Thank you, yours look great too!

Nice Jamaicanmixy

I might try those side plate bend/crunches, good idea

Those are great for developing the obliques, those muscles that stick out past the adonis belt like what Jamiacanmixy is showing. You won't see many women with those because of the hip thing, but also because most women avoid heavy oblique training since it does tend to thicken the waist (though some like that look). That said if I lean to the side my obliques stick out a bit too, past that v-shape in my lower abs.

Jamaicanmixy
12-29-2009, 11:32 PM
Thank you, yours look great too!

Those are great for developing the obliques, those muscles that stick out past the adonis belt like what Jamiacanmixy is showing. You won't see many women with those because of the hip thing, but also because most women avoid heavy oblique training since it does tend to thicken the waist (though some like that look). That said if I lean to the side my obliques stick out a bit too, past that v-shape in my lower abs.

shes saying i got man hips...its ok! lol! :)

heidismommy
12-30-2009, 07:11 AM
shes saying i got man hips...its ok! lol! :)

No, I like em :). I think you're leaning to the side in that picture, making the obliques look more pronounced. I have 'boy hips' as has been described by others, but it's okay :P. It gives a more "athletic" look.

SportyShorty89
12-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Agreed to all, gotta hit that abs hard usually with a good amount of weight. My favorite excercise is the oblique twist with your feet raised. You feel it quick and really have to push yourself. I find it easier to do with a plate instead of a medicine ball.

http://www.briohealthclub.com/uploaded_images/oblique-twist-742103.jpg

I realized that doing those weighted side bends or side crunches do seem to make a womens waist a little wider. I focus more on twisting routines for abs now rather than bending for that reason and have gotten great results.

Lookin good everyone :)

Jamaicanmixy
12-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Agreed to all, gotta hit that abs hard usually with a good amount of weight. My favorite excercise is the oblique twist with your feet raised. You feel it quick and really have to push yourself. I find it easier to do with a plate instead of a medicine ball.

http://www.briohealthclub.com/uploaded_images/oblique-twist-742103.jpg

I realized that doing those weighted side bends or side crunches do seem to make a womens waist a little wider. I focus more on twisting routines for abs now rather than bending for that reason and have gotten great results.

Lookin good everyone :)

me and my husband were doing those with a 25lb plate instead of a ball and i accidentally let one go...i was so embarrassed lol and the whole time he made fun of me...so i quit doing them haha

.Zaher.
12-30-2009, 11:13 PM
me and my husband were doing those with a 25lb plate instead of a ball and i accidentally let one go...i was so embarrassed lol and the whole time he made fun of me...so i quit doing them haha

Smooooth

FemFitale
12-31-2009, 04:47 AM
You've got tons of great advice so far--I definitely agree with everyone's advice. Especially those who are concerned about you focusing on losing more bodyfat at your size. I'm surprised that no one has really emphasized the role that genetics play here.

It's important for you to realize that what your abs will look like is going to be based alot on your genetics. Some people just will not get that washboard look, so be sure not to set your goal based on photos of other people. If you look at several women lined up in a contest photo, you will see that despite the fact that they all are at very low bf%, some have more dominant abs than others. One of the best physiques i've ever seen at a contest was a woman who was shredded everywhere, but her stomach was just kind of...flat.

At 22% bf, my abs will still show--it's just my genetics and the way I store bodyfat. I wish I could say that I do anything specific for my abs, but honestly I just sort of wake up like that, and I think a lot of people will say the same (my glutes and hams are another story!).

So, good luck with your fitness goals but be sure that you aren't basing your progress on this one body part.