PDA

View Full Version : Extra lean ground beef

Wayacrucis
11-19-2009, 06:48 PM
I've been getting pretty sick of chicken lately, so I've been replacing some of my chicken meals /w extra lean ground beef. Protein to fat ratio is 25g Protein, 8g fat for 125grams. I have about 250g per meal, summing up to about 50g protein 16g fat. does the protein to fat ratio sound okay? Anybody else consume extra lean ground beef as a main source of protein? thanks for the info.

Murderfox
11-19-2009, 06:55 PM
If it fits into your macros then it's great. The ratio's fine. I mainly eat chicken and eggs for protein but every week or so i'd get some extra lean ground beef to change things up a bit, in fact just had 200g's of it.
Mine has 4g fat per 4oz not sure if yours is the same though but it should be.

Wayacrucis
11-19-2009, 07:03 PM
If it fits into your macros then it's great. The ratio's fine. I mainly eat chicken and eggs for protein but every week or so i'd get some extra lean ground beef to change things up a bit, in fact just had 200g's of it.
Mine has 4g fat per 4oz not sure if yours is the same though but it should be.

Same.. been pretty much going with chicken,eggs and whey. I dislike tuna and turkey :/

SuppFiend
11-19-2009, 07:20 PM
i like to mix it up with some pork chops, red meat, ground turkey (for meatballs/meatloaf) and once in a while some fish

its good to switch up your sources everynow and then

FunkymonkAW
11-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Ratio shouldn't really be a consideration IMO. Instead, see how it fits into your daily macro totals.

And yes, I love red meat but rarely get it.

YoungEx20
11-19-2009, 08:29 PM
I've been on a major beef fix lately but the extra lean ground beef is way too expensive for my pockets.

Reaper_One
11-19-2009, 10:42 PM
I use the extra lean ground beef all the time, its a good way to mix up your foods. Also an idea you might want to try out is trying ground bison....its super lean and tasty. Its a little dry sometimes if you cook it to long but it works for getting away from chicken for awhile. Hope this helps

hellawaits77
11-19-2009, 11:26 PM
ELGB is fine to eat. 93% and 95% lean don't have much more fat than chicken. Plus it contains B-vitamins and zinc. I'd definately eat it. On top of all that, I think it tastes better than chicken.

Xianth
11-20-2009, 12:01 AM
go for it, or get some striploin beef, leanest part of the MooMoo and do what you will with it, it has 3g fat per 100g meat and since it's so lean it costs less than say Entrecote, I can get it for about 10 bucks per 2.2 pounds, and Norway is damn expensive to eat in ;)

ucla2007
11-20-2009, 12:26 AM
i like to mix it up with some pork chops, red meat, ground turkey (for meatballs/meatloaf) and once in a while some fish

its good to switch up your sources everynow and then

I agree, mixing it up is good for you. I try not to have the same protein more than twice a day. I also try to get 25-30% fat/day, so I don't really concern myself with 95% lean ground beef, 85% lean is fine with me. I also have canned tuna, salmon, top sirloin, ground turkey, ground chicken, protein powder(obviously), and I really want to get some venison or buffalo. This week I also had some delicious grouper fish.

Chicken and lean ground beef gets boring, mix it up!

snorkelman
11-20-2009, 02:23 AM
the extra lean ground beef is way too expensive for my pockets.

No problem, if you are willing to spend the extra effort to drain, rinse and pat dry the regular ground beef, it ends up removing the same amounts of fats to bring it to the same fat ratios as the leaner ground beefs

http://healthy.hillbillyhousewife.com/groundbeef.htm

Obviously this method only works for crumbles so it would be perfect for things like tacos but wrong for things like meatloaf.

Dominikm
11-20-2009, 03:44 AM
I used to eat it everyday and got sick of it but I would cook up what I needed and just use a bit of oil spray in the pan and then just put a lid on the whole thing n drain the excess fat out into the sink... It was 5 star mince in the first place and would be like 2% fat after that.

Chicken would have more fat than that.

PickItUp
11-20-2009, 06:10 AM
That ratio is fine.

Greg1975
11-20-2009, 06:28 AM
Ratio shouldn't really be a consideration IMO. Instead, see how it fits into your daily macro totals.

And yes, I love red meat but rarely get it.

That ratio is fine.

Yeah, knowing a food's F/P ratio ahead of time makes things a lot easier for the lazier among us trying to keep our daily macros balanced.

If I know a given meal is vaguely within the correct C/P/F range I can set my mind at ease and enjoy my meal.

I thought I was being very careful with my diet until I used fitday.com for a week. It turned out I was getting 35-40% of my calories from fat. You never really know until you measure it and count it up. So it's useful to know the Fat/Protein ratio of every animal protein ingredient you're eating. I avoid anything with more than a 1:1 ratio of protein to fat (which is why I rarely if ever eat pork), and try to stay around 2:1. I get about half of my protein from shakes.

You can't go wrong eating too many whole grains (in my experience it's difficult to overeat on this), you can't go wrong eating too much protein, but overeating on fat is ridiculously easy. That mistake can be a huge setback, especially as you get older.